Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the last two days i have spent working on my car replacing the motor and tranny mounts and the clutch......i ran into several problems along the way of course.....first i couldnt get the smog line off the h pipe even after heating it with a torch so we ended up cutting it......so now ill probly do a smog delete soon.....also when i got my two motor mounts from ORileys they sold me two freakin passenger side mounts and i wasnt any where near an orileys when i was working and the next day i was able to get one that happened to have on stock at autozone.....when we did get the tranny off the throwout bearing retainer was cracked at the end and starting to mushroom out so i couldnt get the old bearing off.....well i called around autozone and they said they couldnt even get one for me and said to call summit....well i didnt have time for that because i was doin this on my buddys porch and i wasnt gona be able to be there forever.....so we actually ended up taking off about 1/8 of an inch or a lil more off the end of it and then filing it down really smooth.....we werent real sure about this but it seemed like the only option....well we had taken off the bell housing and that bearing retainer so then we reinstalled both of those and replace my clutch which was so bad if you gace it over about 1/16 throttle goin doin the road in 5th it would slip and rev up......but we got every thing in and lined up and then put the new mounts in and i ended up getting the tranny mount also just because and just got finish about 9 oclock tonight.....man i wish i had a dang lift

·
Registered
569 Posts
pita

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah after we got the tranny back on we were able to look through the hole where the clutch fork goes through the bell housing and push in the clutch and and watch the full movement of the throwout bearing to make sure the bearing retainer was still long enough and it was just fine

·
Registered
81 Posts
i would def order a new retainer. you just weakend it really bad and its gunna end up breaking again and your not gunna be able to engage your clutch. and yes that means pulling the trany again but if you dont want to do that youll just have to wait till your sitting on the side of the road and then fix it after towing it home. and yes it is a pain in the ass doing it with out a lift. lucky me i was able to use my budies lift at his house the first time i had to replace my clutch and the second time i pulled my trany to put my centerforce II and astro performance trany in i was working at a garage and had all weekend to use the lift

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The throwout bearing rides on the bearing retainer of the transmission and is pushed by the clutch fork. The little metal prong is just there to hold the throwout in place during transmission/clutch changes. There is no reason to replace the retainer if the throwout was installed correctly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
sorry when something is broken your fix it or replace it what they did was some red neck mechanics its only a temp fix till the whole thing breaks. it broke because its old and weak its just gunna break more now

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i know it wasnt the best idea but it was the only option.......i couldnt just leave my car on his porch all week waiting for that part to get there.....i am gona order one because i know it needs it but honestly it probly wont be long until i have to rebuild the tranny also.....when i got the fluid out of it it looked a lil milky so it probly is on its last leg anyway......but for now i think it will hold up for a while.....it took 160,000 miles to make cracks less than a 1/8th on an inch long so it should hold up for a while

1 - 7 of 7 Posts