Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen on this forum where guys have paid ~ $400-500 for rear gear installation from their dealer and thought well hell, that's not bad think I'll get it done. So, I went to the dealer yesterday and talked to the service dept and they quoted me $800 just for install, that doesn't include the gears or shims or any other parts! You wouldn't think there would be such a discrepancy for the same work at different dealers. Called another dealer to get a price and was quoted the same thing. That's a lot to pay when they don't even warrant the gears when its done. So I decided to ask my local mechanic that does all the work on our other cars, a guy I've known and trusted for 9 years now, and even he quoted me $650. Maybe its just geography or something, seems like a lot of the guys on here that said it cost them $400 or so are from up north.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
i'd stay away from stealerships for anything besides warranty stuff. why? because they **** you at the drive thru. check around your area for speed/ performance shops and see what kind of reputation they have. if they do good work and charge less than a dealership (probably will), take your car there to get worked on...

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I got quoted $750 i think but that includes gears, install, shims and all, and RP fluid

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
So you had to buy the beer... for yourself? Wow... that sounds kinda sad. :p

·
Doctor of Jurisprudence
2,945 Posts
Or you could check out local off road shops because they are always changing gears for people that jack their trucks up...or so I've heard, no real experience in that department...all of my in-laws are grease monkeys and as soon as I get to texas in a couple of months I'm gonna throw down some beer to have them help me with it :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Still the new guy but I swear it is my last post for the night.

The dealers I contacted wanted entirely too much for a job. An authorized shop saved my warranty, sold me the parts, and will be doing the install for way less than a dealer. Way less.

So Oddball, I guess what I am saying is that warranty work can be done outside of the dealership. Just make sure it is so. Keep researching.

I think I am backing up the words of 00vabchgt. If not, slam back and I'll take my punishment. :sorry

Willow

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Damn all I charge is $200 on the side.... and thats a complete rebuild maybe I should raise my price up a little. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and for "feelin' my pain".

StangLifeMike, I'm in Grayson, actually about half way between Grayson and Snellville. MPH is in Cartersville, which isn't really that far away, maybe 70 miles, but I get up there for work every couple of months and it takes roughly an hour and a half with all the Atlanta traffic. I imagine I'd have to leave the car with them for a day and that means driving two vehicles up and back, 1 1/2 hours each way, and I'd have to find the time to do it. Its worth it to me to pay my guy more and have it done 10 minutes away, or check into some closer places. There seems to be quite a few speed shops springing up around my area lately, but they're new and haven't been open long enough to have built up much of a rep, so its hard to check up on their work. Think I'll check with FRPP and see if they can tell me of any speed shops around me that are authorized dealers/installers.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Oddball, it sounds like one of those cases where you gotta make a decision, eat the cost or make a drive.

Maybe call and see if they can do a customer wait job so you don't have to double drive????? You never know..

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
StangLifeMike, I'm in Grayson, actually about half way between Grayson and Snellville. MPH is in Cartersville, which isn't really that far away, maybe 70 miles, but I get up there for work every couple of months and it takes roughly an hour and a half with all the Atlanta traffic. I imagine I'd have to leave the car with them for a day and that means driving two vehicles up and back, 1 1/2 hours each way, and I'd have to find the time to do it. Its worth it to me to pay my guy more and have it done 10 minutes away, or check into some closer places. There seems to be quite a few speed shops springing up around my area lately, but they're new and haven't been open long enough to have built up much of a rep, so its hard to check up on their work. Think I'll check with FRPP and see if they can tell me of any speed shops around me that are authorized dealers/installers.
Call them up and get a quote. Ask the how long it will take, and ask them if you can hang out during the install. Shouldnt be a problem. If they are much cheaper, I would do it. Its a place you should go check out regardless, people travel from out of state to have MPH work on there car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Emay and StangLifeMike you're right, I shouldn't write them off without first checking with them for $ and turnaround time. I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, just got off the phone with MPH. $375 + parts, which I've already ordered, and they can do it in 3 - 4 hours on Saturday. Now that's enough of a savings to make a 3 hour roundtrip drive worth it. And they said no problem with me hanging around the shop and watching. That's cool, I've never torn into a rearend before, so I can get an education as part of the deal. I'll just have to refrain from asking so many questions that I turn it into a 5 hour job for the tech. Thanks again for the heads up SLMike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts