Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving home from college and i shifted to third, hit the gas a tad harder than normal (because i felt like it) a bit after fully off the clutch, the rpms jumped unusually too high for how much gas im pushing.. around 4.5-5k (as if the car was in neutral but still gave a little power to the wheels) and back to 2k where it shouldve been in first place. this is the 3rd time it happened in the last 3-4 months. is that normal for manuals or should i be worried.

let me say this again, I WAS COMPLETELY OFF THE CLUTCH when i hit the gas just a tad harder than normal.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
There's a TSB for the GT500 clutches. I don't know the exact symtoms for the TSB, but I believe it's for a slipping clutch. We have replaced about 3 GT500 clutches so far. Call up the dealership and talk to someone in service. Give them your VIN number and ask about a TSB having to do with a slipping clutch. More than likely you'll get an updated clutch assy, flywheel, TOB and some other stuff installed. It's like $3000 worth of parts I believe.

The clutch assy is like a grand, the flywheel isn't cheap and then there's some kit that goes along with the updated parts that's also a grand.

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TSB? what does that stand for? so what i am experiencing is a slipping clutch? sorry this is my first manual car.

i just did a little research, and found on another forum that he got a 08 gt500 and found out the gt500 clutch/flywheel combo is not meant for heavy traffic/stop and go. and apparently it warped... i hope this is covered by warranty. i got 5 years left of my 6 years warranty.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yeah it should be covered by warranty. All the clutches that we've done on the GT500s in the shop have been under warranty. TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin. It's a thing that Ford puts out for technicians to look at when they have a particular problem that is a known problem. So say in this case, the clutch. The tech gets the car and finds out the symptoms. He then goes in with the VIN and checks to see what Ford says. They know that the clutch is a problem, so they put out a TSB and the tech can find this info and more easily diagnose the problem, and it tells him what parts to order and what to do to fix it.

It's like a recall, but it's not a safety issue and Ford doesn't HAVE TO pay to have it replaced if you're out of warranty like a recall. Hope this helps.

And yes, what you're experiencing sounds like a slipping clutch. Which, like I said, I believe is what the TSB is for. Just call the service department of a Ford dealership and they should be able to help you. Or you can post your VIN here and I can probably check on the TSB for you.

Reactions: 08blkgt500

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thats shady for ford not to have a recall on it, it seems like a major issue...

ill send you the VIN in PM

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
wow thats shady for ford not to have a recall on it, it seems like a major issue...

ill send you the VIN in PM

thanks for the info!
No problem. Yeah, it kinda is. Unfortunately, it's how all car companies are to some extent. But yeah, it sucks. There's a TSB on the Machs for a 2nd gear synchro as well that no one really knows about. Doesn't really matter now because they're all out of warranty, but I had it done when I first got the car. It was still out of warranty, but Ford has a thing where they'll cover most of the cost on it if it's pretty close. So I did that and paid $200 for a repair that was over $1000. So that was nice.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Just FYI I may not get to it tonight as I am going home in a few. So if you PM me the VIN I'll probably have to look it up tomorrow. Just so ya know.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Checking All Data as we speak...

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Here's all the current TSB's...

All Technical Service Bulletins
Information

Number / Date / Title
09-8-7 05/04/2009 Restraints - Air Bag Lamp ON/DTC B2295 Set
09L03 04/24/2009 Campaign - Tire Valve Stem Inspection/Maintenance
08-26-7 01/05/2009 Body - Water Leak Onto Front Floor Area
08-24-10 12/08/2008 Interior - Rattle From Dash/A-Pillar Area
08-21-6 10/27/2008 Drivetrain - Excessive Rear Axle Whine
08-21-7 10/27/2008 Body - Power Window 'Bounce-Back' Diagnostics
08-20-2 10/13/2008 Audio System - Door Sub-Woofer Pop/Crackle/Distortion
08-17-3 09/01/2008 Body - Convertible Top Quarter Glass Separation
08-16-4 08/18/2008 M/T - Hard Shifting/Grinding On Shifts/Clutch Drag
08-12-9 06/23/2008 Keyless Entry - Transmitter May Not Operate
08-9-2 05/12/2008 Lighting - Uncommanded Perimeter Lighting
08-7-6 04/14/2008 Ignition System, Spark Plug Removal Instructions
08-5-1 03/17/2008 Audio System - Radio Won't Seek Sirius(R) Radio Channels
08-4-2 03/03/2008 Engine - Cold Start Drive Belt Whistle/Hoot Noise
08C02 02/22/2008 Recall - Occupant Crash Protection Non-Compliance
NHTSA08V082000 02/21/2008 Recall 08V082000: Crash Protection Non-Compliance
08-3-4 02/18/2008 Exhaust System - Rattle/Buzz From Floor Console Areas
08-2-4 02/04/2008 M/T - Shifter Boot Ticking Noises
07-17-6 09/03/2007 Audio System - Buzz/Rattle From Door Speaker/Door Panel
07-17-8 09/03/2007 Body - Various Convertible Top Concerns
07-16-7 08/20/2007 Body - Exterior Door Handle Not Flush/Loose/Rattles
07-5-13 03/19/2007 Battery - Discharges After Vehicle Storage

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Here ya go bud :)
-------------------------
TSB 08-16-4

08/18/08

SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

FORD:
2007-2009 Mustang

ISSUE
Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms: hard to disengage or engage 1st and reverse, hard to shift any gear, gear grinding during shifts any gear, vehicle creeps with trans in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application, clutch slippage in gear with clutch pedal released, hiss noise with clutch pedal fully depressed (hiss on clutch pedal release is normal for GT500 clutch material). These symptoms may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build-up during unique traffic conditions (example: severe stop/go urban driving). The distortion of the flywheel may prevent complete disengagement of the clutch. The system is designed for performance driving conditions.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH PRIOR REPAIRS, AS WELL AS THOSE WITH MINOR MODIFICATIONS, EXHIBITING ABOVE SYMPTOMS.

NOTE THE GT500 CLUTCH SHOULD BE DIAGNOSED/REMOVED/REPLACED AS A COMPLETE ASSEMBLY ONLY. DO NOT TAKE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY APART.

1. Remove, drain, disassemble and clean the transmission per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.

2. Remove and replace input shaft and all synchronizer assemblies per WSM, Section 308-03C.

3. Assemble the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.

4. Remove clutch disc and plate assembly and pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.

5. Remove and replace flywheel per WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in flywheel kit.

6. Install new pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.

7. Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per online WSM, Section 308-01 (vehicles with solid design flywheel). Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in clutch kit. Tighten bolts to 89 lb-in (10 N.m) in a star pattern. Tighten an additional 90 degrees in a star pattern.

8. Apply a small amount of Motorcraft(R) PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per WSM, Section 308-01.

9. Install the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.

Reactions: 08blkgt500

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Nicely done sir. That's the TSB there. More than likely that's what the dealership is going to do and is probably the problem.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Spank you ;)

I'm at school right now so I have access atm...

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just FYI I may not get to it tonight as I am going home in a few. So if you PM me the VIN I'll probably have to look it up tomorrow. Just so ya know.
yeah i may not pm you the vin untill tm either, im just too lazy to go out and look at the vin while the football is on! :D

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here ya go bud :)
-------------------------
TSB 08-16-4

08/18/08

SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

FORD:
2007-2009 Mustang

ISSUE
Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms: hard to disengage or engage 1st and reverse, hard to shift any gear, gear grinding during shifts any gear, vehicle creeps with trans in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application, clutch slippage in gear with clutch pedal released, hiss noise with clutch pedal fully depressed (hiss on clutch pedal release is normal for GT500 clutch material). These symptoms may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build-up during unique traffic conditions (example: severe stop/go urban driving). The distortion of the flywheel may prevent complete disengagement of the clutch. The system is designed for performance driving conditions.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH PRIOR REPAIRS, AS WELL AS THOSE WITH MINOR MODIFICATIONS, EXHIBITING ABOVE SYMPTOMS.

NOTE THE GT500 CLUTCH SHOULD BE DIAGNOSED/REMOVED/REPLACED AS A COMPLETE ASSEMBLY ONLY. DO NOT TAKE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY APART.

1. Remove, drain, disassemble and clean the transmission per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.

2. Remove and replace input shaft and all synchronizer assemblies per WSM, Section 308-03C.

3. Assemble the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.

4. Remove clutch disc and plate assembly and pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.

5. Remove and replace flywheel per WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in flywheel kit.

6. Install new pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.

7. Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per online WSM, Section 308-01 (vehicles with solid design flywheel). Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in clutch kit. Tighten bolts to 89 lb-in (10 N.m) in a star pattern. Tighten an additional 90 degrees in a star pattern.

8. Apply a small amount of Motorcraft(R) PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per WSM, Section 308-01.

9. Install the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.
:( about 60-70% of 13.5k miles in my car is in city driving... ill have to get it checked out at the dealers later this week, after college.

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh and did i mention i just got it back from the dealers last week...

oil change/bad cord in cigarette lighter. i got a 2010 v6 convertible rental to abuse for a day! :lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts