Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just finished installing a set of Hot Rod cams in my 2008 GT. The car started right up, sounds really good and runs good too.
I noticed when I first started the "check charging system" light came on as well as the little battery icon. I didnt think much of it because I had removed the battery and tray to install the cams and I thought thats why it was on.
Then I took it for a short ride and it stayed on and then the ABS light came on and then Traction Control light came on. Then the stereo shut off I think because the volt gauge in the dash went all the way to the left showing it wasn't charging.
I didn't touch the alternater or anything that would cause this.
Any ideas would be so helpful. I have been under the hood for the last hour just checking to see if anything was not connected.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris,
When you say "flash" the ECU is that something I can do with my SCT tuner?
After I installed the cams I had BAMA tunes send me a new set of tunes to work with the new cams. Is it something with the tune causing it not to charge?
Or is it the alternator?

·
Bullitt 6-Shooter
16 Posts
Sounds like the alternator or one of the cables/wires to it.

Your symptoms sound like what happens when the voltage from the battery is going down.

Try putting a charger on the battery for a while and then check if some of those symptoms go away.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I had symptoms similar to this recently and itnwas my battery but imhavent done any mods to my car :(. Does your radio and dash lights flicker when you hit the brakes or turn the lights on?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Agreed, your system isn't charging.. Put a new motor in my 71 chev truck once, and didn't hook the alt up right.. had to drive back roads home with no lights on, and was so bad that the last few blocks when I went around corners or slowed down, I would have to throw the truck in netrual, rev the snot out of it, and mash the brakes, then get off the brakes and catch the motor before the it would die(brake lights stealing the power for spark).. and the best is when I pulled in the garage(living at home with ma and dad) I get out of the truck and my mom opens the door and says, "you know you didn't have your lights on?".... Really?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take a long look at it tomorrow. When I pulled the valve/cam covers off I know I moved a bunch of wires around so maybe something got disconnected. I can't imaging the alternator or battery going bad because there were no symptoms before.

Jack:cool:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My batt was good before monday morning then bam it was drained dry. Nothing was left on. So it koght be worth lookng at.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
^^ agreed. eleanor cool story.

OP--check your grounds. sounds like you may not have put one back on right. what about disconnecting fusible links? did you disconnect the one for the alternator? is right around the battery tray and all the stuff. Check it

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mayo I bet you are right. I will go over it tomorrow and let you guys know what i find.
I bet I missed something. My bad!!

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Or it could be just coincidence that your alternator went out at the same time you did the cam install. I've been through 4 alternators and they go out without much warning. All the symptoms you described happenned each time mine went out.

Also, DO NOT reflash your tune without a fully charged battery. If your battery dies during this process you are screwed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if your having problem with the alternator you might want to go ahead and check your knock sensors too while your at it just to be safe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I'm an idiot!!
I found after going through everything I took the battery out again and found the ALTERNATOR wire stuffed down by the wheel well and NOT connected to the battery!!!
You have no idea how relieved I am .
I have to admit when I was putting it back together after the cams a bunch of friends stopped by and we were talking and I must have over looked it.
Anyway, thanks again for your help guys.

Jack:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS WHAT GOT ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you found it!!, No worries... Now lets here them cams!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts