Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2012 mustang gt with C&L CAI, magnaflow muffler delete axlebacks, and just installed my lethal performance X pipe...wow, I didn't realize how loud is was going to be, its insane...it sounds SICK at idle with the cam tune, but it cackles quite a bit and is just loud...seems like I lost quite a bit of torque on the bottom end as well...its not bad when you a cruising, but when you punch [email protected]!!!! Is anyone else running something similar? Should I sell my muffler deletes and buy a different axleback setup with mufflers? I am afraid I am going to get pulled over...its just crazy loud.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Why don't you just go back to stock axle backs? My friend has a similar set up as yours and he is planning on going back to stock axle backs just because it's too loud.

vid please!! :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have my stockers, but I think that would be way to quiet for my taste...I can try and get a video tomorrow, can't tonight. I was thinking about seeing if I could trade someone for the flowmaster axlebacks or something...I saw a guy on here that has the gt500 mufflers, but I still think that is a little quiet for what I want...I loved how my car sounded with the muffler deletes, even though it could have stood to be louder...Hell I really don't care if it is loud, just I need to get rid of the cackling and just seems like I don't have enough back pressure and seems to have lost some torque in the lower rpms.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My friend doesn't have the cam tune but you really shouldn't lose any torque..if anything with the right tune you should gain torque.

Even with stockers, your car will be loud, just not as loud. So I say try that. I don't know if you saw my other thread, but I just took off my custom Flowmaster mufflers. I don't know if I want to sell it yet but if I do, I could let you know. I paid 280 for them with install but I am probably going to just sell it for like 100 bucks or something. Just throwign it out there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not sure where you are located but I had american thunder axe backs before going offroad x-pipe, I now have gt500 and about monthly I reinstall the american thunders because I miss the loud in your face sound, but after two days tops I reinstall gt500 and enjoy the less loud exhaust. If your in the VA area you could hear my exhaust and maybe try the american thunder out. I would let them go pretty cheap locally without shipping.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I still have my stockers, but I think that would be way to quiet for my taste...I can try and get a video tomorrow, can't tonight. I was thinking about seeing if I could trade someone for the flowmaster axlebacks or something...I saw a guy on here that has the gt500 mufflers, but I still think that is a little quiet for what I want...I loved how my car sounded with the muffler deletes, even though it could have stood to be louder...Hell I really don't care if it is loud, just I need to get rid of the cackling and just seems like I don't have enough back pressure and seems to have lost some torque in the lower rpms.
Try to find some 2nd hand GT500 axle backs from one of the other mustang forums I think you would get a good sound with that. GT500 on their own are decent but not very loud, but since you have a o/r x pipe i think they would sound sick. But if you prefer straight pipe sound then stick to what you have. :)

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
Having a magnaflow comp cat back and off road X pipe, Yeah that **** is loud :lol

Now with boral stingers.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after driving it, it hasn't lost anything, its just different driving with the cam tune. It dies sometimes if you first start it even when its warm and its idling high for the choke or whatever, and you go an pull out, it will die if you don't give it a minute or rev it up a bit. i think it sounds sweet at idle, i love the sound at idle, it just cackles a bit too much for my taste...I am afraid if I put any kind of mufflers on it, it wont sound like it does now at idle...it truely sounds like an old muscle car right now when its loping

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
I'd say get either SLP or GT500 axlebacks. SLP will be the louder, more aggressive out of the two if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have

I have the lethal performance xpipe as well as the slp loudmouth muffler deletes, jlt cai, boss intake and a custom tune. It does crackle quite a bit at times, when downshifting for the most part. But I must say, at WOT, it's ridiculous. I love it. Not worried so much about noise and the law after one complimented me. But I'm sure there are those who hate it. Say it's to loud, raspy, annoying. Everyone has there own opinion, and Idgaf.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Please to god don't get flowmasters, Every mustang has them. SLP's as mentioned before or even magnapacks (which is what I have) sound great. Although i'm running a 2v 4.6 so the motor is gonna sound different. But I personally love the magnapacks.

·
It'll be bout tree fiddy
3,429 Posts
I really like my pype bombs for a muffler delete. They have resonated tips w/ some small baffles (best way I can figure to describe it) on the inside to help eliminate the popping.

They are pretty quiet at idle. But, when you step on it, she wakes up the neighborhood.

·
Registered
27 Posts
after driving it, it hasn't lost anything, its just different driving with the cam tune. It dies sometimes if you first start it even when its warm and its idling high for the choke or whatever, and you go an pull out, it will die if you don't give it a minute or rev it up a bit. i think it sounds sweet at idle, i love the sound at idle, it just cackles a bit too much for my taste...I am afraid if I put any kind of mufflers on it, it wont sound like it does now at idle...it truely sounds like an old muscle car right now when its loping
You must have the Bama Cam tune. I had the same stalling problem with that tune as well. I agree with you on the exhaust sounding amazing with that tune at idle definitely turn a whole lot of head, but the stalling was just too much for me to handle. switch back to the regular tune and it quite down the exhaust just a tad, but still sounds awesome and like an old school muscle car at idle. when I want it a little louder I just give it a little rev at idle or floor it when I'm driving. As far as the cops go, just be really gentle on the pedal when around them and you should be alright. I would recommend trying to switch back to the normal tune instead of the Cam tune and see how you like it. it would be a free change at least compared to having to buy new axle backs

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You must have the Bama Cam tune. I had the same stalling problem with that tune as well. I agree with you on the exhaust sounding amazing with that tune at idle definitely turn a whole lot of head, but the stalling was just too much for me to handle. switch back to the regular tune and it quite down the exhaust just a tad, but still sounds awesome and like an old school muscle car at idle. when I want it a little louder I just give it a little rev at idle or floor it when I'm driving. As far as the cops go, just be really gentle on the pedal when around them and you should be alright. I would recommend trying to switch back to the normal tune instead of the Cam tune and see how you like it. it would be a free change at least compared to having to buy new axle backs
Right, I am actually working with BAMA now on this. I have had a couple of issues with the cam tune, that I have never had a problem with in the past with their tunes. They told me to flash with one of the other tunes and see if I still had the problem. I am flashing to the 91 performance tune tonight after work and going to drive home without the cam tune and see how it is. On 2 occasions, when it has died and I have turned it back on, the traction control light, and another light beside it has came on. The light would not go off by pressing the traction control button. I had to turn my car off and turn it back on in order for the light to go off.

I have also noticed a lot of bucking when it is very cold and you take off...used to it would happen every now and again, but its much worse it seems.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My first axle back was FM Outlaws. They sounded great running around town and were very loud, but the highway drone was too much for me.
Next I installed OEM GT500's and they were not much louder than stock at idle, but sounded pretty good during acceleration. Now I've added the OR x pipe and with the GT500's, it sounds like a full on race car under acceleration but can still be pretty tame if you keep your right foot under control. It is a bit raspy, but I like it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts