Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Intake and Xcal3 today was just looking forward to opening the package and downloading the latest firmware.... When I was looking for something to wrap the extra slack in the Xcal3 wire I noticed this...

Is there anything I can do about this....
I mean I know I can dispute it with the seller and UPS but is there any fix???

My lucks been a bitch lately....:sorry

-Joe

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if I should try... What if it breaks when I insert it into the car is it then my fault??? What are the chances of this working???

I havent thought of eletrical tape I was thinking crazy glue but I dont want to rig it so that I cant resell it..

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
did you buy it new?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you buy it new?

Used with the CAI everything has no damage at all except for the plug... The box had a puncture in it when I got it... I was not home when the UPS man arrived so I could not say anything....
Heres the box...

It is beyond cold out so the cold and a puncture like that could have very well have done it but who knows...

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
if you can't have it fixed... just use a bit of superglue... that's my resolve for anything plastic that breaks... and so far its done me great...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks like a lose - lose situation for me... I wanted to Data log my car tomorrow too...

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Joe - If you know you're stuck with the stuff and don't want to haggle with UPS or the seller, then go with either of the following routes. UPS gives you a narrow timespan to report broken things, you don't have to report it when the drive drops it off... if that were the case UPS would have to hire twice as many drivers becuase they'd take so darn long delivering.

If you're real careful you can follow Luis' suggestion. Superglue on plastic will make the tear as strong as the plastic itself: it kinda eats a little at the surface and chemically bonds it. What you do not want to do above all else is use too much. A very tiny amount goes a long, long way. Apply it from the outside of the plug, preferably with an edge of a business card or something firm and thin. Press the pieces together and hold for about a minute. Get a piece of sandpaper and scuff off any glue line on the outside. You don't want any glue line though... that would be too much.

Another option is to snap the broken part off. The contacts will still make contact, there's more than enough of the plug to ensure it goes in right, just make sure when you plug the thing in you don't pull that cord out mid-transmission. Will it be a PITA? Prolly. Will it work as long as you're caraeful and don't accidentally yank it out? By all means.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joe - If you know you're stuck with the stuff and don't want to haggle with UPS or the seller, then go with either of the following routes. UPS gives you a narrow timespan to report broken things, you don't have to report it when the drive drops it off... if that were the case UPS would have to hire twice as many drivers becuase they'd take so darn long delivering.

If you're real careful you can follow Luis' suggestion. Superglue on plastic will make the tear as strong as the plastic itself: it kinda eats a little at the surface and chemically bonds it. What you do not want to do above all else is use too much. A very tiny amount goes a long, long way. Apply it from the outside of the plug, preferably with an edge of a business card or something firm and thin. Press the pieces together and hold for about a minute. Get a piece of sandpaper and scuff off any glue line on the outside. You don't want any glue line though... that would be too much.

Another option is to snap the broken part off. The contacts will still make contact, there's more than enough of the plug to ensure it goes in right, just make sure when you plug the thing in you don't pull that cord out mid-transmission. Will it be a PITA? Prolly. Will it work as long as you're caraeful and don't accidentally yank it out? By all means.
I am in contact with the seller right now... I am trying to get a feel for if he paid for the extra insurance which I doubt... I had a similar issue with Ups a month ago when I sold a Sub in a box (looked like ups dropped it out the back of the truck)... Needless to say I had to deal with all the Ups bullshit... They always say it was packed insuffiecnt you just have to argue with them and they do whats right...
I am trying to figure out now if the person paid for extra insurance. If he didnt then he will be at a huge loss for taking back a broken good and giving me back my money... So if that is so I will offer him a deal! I will keep the product but I would like some money back...
I bought this combo from him for $430 shipped I would try and work something out for $330....

I appreciate the info on using crazy glue to patch it up thats what I would try first....

So does the Xcal actually CLIP IN or just slide in and the plastic is just a cover so the metal doesnt get bent...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel so good today... I call SCT before class and waited on hold for close too 15mins but it was well worth it...
SCT gave me a RA so I am sending the Xcal3 back and they are fixing everything....

BEST PART.....

ITS FREEEEEE

So I got my tuner working on my moms laptop and now it is getting fixed by SCT....

This was the best time for it to happen if you think about it... If my car gets recalled I wont have to reflash to stock and take my intake off....

So all in all it works out...
12days without my tuner will be ok...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bet it was the seller, they unpackaged the tuner and they should have taken care of it before it was shipped or put it back in the original package so it didn't get damaged. I noticed that somebody put the SCT emblem on the CAI. I hate buying off the internet. It never seems to be anybody's fault. I try to deal local and I have far fewer hassles. I am battling with an internet vendor right now over some missing parts. Awesome that SCT stepped up to make it right.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bet it was the seller, they unpackaged the tuner and they should have taken care of it before it was shipped or put it back in the original package so it didn't get damaged. I noticed that somebody put the SCT emblem on the CAI. I hate buying off the internet. It never seems to be anybody's fault. I try to deal local and I have far fewer hassles. I am battling with an internet vendor right now over some missing parts. Awesome that SCT stepped up to make it right.
Yea I think it was the sellers fault also because when I opend the box it was just a **** load of packing peanuts and the Tuner was packed open with nothing protecting it at all... The intake had some bubble wrap but had no damage at all just some bent grooves on the CAI that I fixed...
I dont so much mind the SCT emblem on the CAI I just wish I had another for somewhere else or something lol... Oh yeah (Came with no directions at all)

Yea I am starting to learn that very fast... Now we agree on something...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts