Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered trickflow stage 2's and springs and retainers off coral. I know i'll be needing the comp adjustable cam gears. What else will I need? Intake gaskets? do we have valve cover gaskets or just rtv?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Valve cover gaskets.

Do you plan on removing the timing cover, if so you'll need gaskets for it. Just buy a complete gasket set it will come with everything.

If you're removing the timing cover I would get new timing chains, guides, and tensioners.

·
Registered
760 Posts
actually you may not need the gaskets. The OE valve cover and timing gaskets ARE reusable if taken off correctly and small dabs ofRTV for the corners of the timing cover by the head and oil pan (you will see the old RTV when you take it off).

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I was talking to someone about that, and youll need new cam bolts and crank pulley bolts. Since their TTY.

·
Registered
982 Posts
you need these:

valve spring tool
full gasket set (if you so choose, i was careful and reused all mine and they were fine)
cam gears (NOT OBX)
cam gear bolts
crank bolt
depending on the miles on your motor as someone else said timing chain, tensioners, and quides. mine was a low milage motor so i didnt bother changing them.
then obviously a degree kit I bought the summit one
you'll nee a tdc tool i bought the crane one because the one in the summit kit wont work

you'll wanna pull the timing cover. it would be a HUGE pita wthout taking it off and its only like another 10 mins of stuff.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pull the timing cover and be prepared to change the guides. I attempted to use the afm tool and when i put it in place; the plastic chain guide fell apart.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
obx and comp gears are made by same people. i would recommend staying away from any adjustable gear. either do the adjustable crank gear (not to mention its lot cheaper), or file the key ways. all but the head gaskets are usually reusable unless damaged from tear down.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Agreed, skip the comp/fidanze/obx cam gears. The only ones worth a damn are Cloyes and Modular Camponents. You can also go with Trick Flow's adjustable crank gears.

There are several good write-ups here on how to properly set everything up. ModularHeadShop Articles

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Why risk reusing a gasket only to end up with an oil leak down the road and have to remove something for a cheap gasket. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it over again down the road.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You can reuse the valve cover gaskets. You'll need to put a dab of RTV where the cover meets the block, you'll see the "pad" on the valve cover gasket. I used the Anderson tool and it worked great. I would put it together with the stock gears then turn it by hand to see if you have PTV issues. I just saw another post where the adjustable cam gears came loose and destroyed the engine. Also, I tried to degree the cams in the car and couldn't get a reliable reading on valve lift. I wouldn't mess with the timing if you can't get an accurate reading because you could make it worse.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
678 Posts
Better yet just get ARP hardware and be done with it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
that's what I thought,I am getting comp 270 and taking my VT out...
Don't do it. You can not install the 270's at the intended 109 centerline and you will need to retard them several degrees to get adequate ptv clearance. In the end you will likely make less power.

·
Banned
760 Posts
well I will take that chance,I have a build stroker motor,I dont know what I got in it,what pistons what valves ETC,all I know is all forget stroker 1000hp limit.
I will install the 270s on 109 and check for clearance,if they clear great if they dont will retard them to make them clear.....
edit:
you'll wish me luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts