Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just ordered my gears and the stuff for that .. the plan is to get a CAI and tuner combo for christmas and install the gears when i get that. but my question is do i need to wait for the tune .... besides the speedo and odometer being off would installing the gears throw anything else off and could i swing by a ford stealership and have them reflash my pcm for the new gears?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think there might be an issue if you run an automatic.
Something to do with shift points and speed calculations?
Don't know for sure thought I read a post recently about it.....But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
548 Posts
you dont have to wait for a tune to install gears, just make sure you know what speed your really going to avoid a ticket. you dont have to buy a tuner to fix your speedo a shop put a box that corrects the the diffrence.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
You'll be fine.

It just throws the speedo and the odometer off.

The transmission will shift at different speeds, but it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
talk about diff opnions lol the guide pretty much says hell no with and auto tranny and yall say ill be alright go for it

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
ford can only tune up to 3.73's and i believe they can only do that with stick but maybe im wrong.f

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I put a set of gears in a guys '05 automatic and he forgot his hand tuner. I drove it about 5 miles to test for gear noise and the speedo was way off. It went from 3.31's to 4.10's and it seemed to shift decent, just the speedo was off. It probably did shift a little weird because the transmission has output shaft and intermediate shaft speed sensors. I didn't notice anything though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
At least it throws off the spedo in the other direction, when I put 4.10's in my manual the spedo read 80's when i was going 55ish. Easy to fix though, gears are the best mod I ever did. :D Enjoy 'em!

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I had gears in my auto, didnt tune it, everything was fine. And i had that for a good couple months. But to get the full gains, a tune would be great. So get the tuner eventually

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
mine was fine when i removed intake and tuner and traded it in. Car shifted fine, but the speedo was way off. If you get a cai and tuner, doug at bama did my auto tunes with the gears

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
im in agreement with these know it alls and have done it for about 2 months straight..

I racked up about 2000 extra miles on the odometer which kinda sucked.. just keep that in mind haha

also, it may mess with your O/D lock up speed...

·
Registered
537 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts