Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Racing Flywheel
Ford Racing Replacement Flywheel - 50 oz. (81-95 5.0L, 93-95 Cobra) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

RAM HDX Clutch
RAM HDX Clutch (86-Mid 01 GT and 93-98 Cobra) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

Not going to use that throwout bearing though, I have a new one sitting in my garage from NAPA that I want to use, heard way too much about people having issues with the ones in clutch kits.

A buddy of mine also is selling me a bunch of stuff off his 03 Cobra, the Bilstein struts, front Cobra brake calipers and rotors, the front control arms, and the Mach 460 door speakers.

My next check I'm going to be picking up some...

H&R Sport Springs
H&R Sport Springs, 1999-04 Cobra, set of 4 [51659.2] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors
MM Full Length Subframe Connectors, 1979-04, bare [MMFL-5B] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

So now my car will be slow, but handle like a freaking champion. :D :D :D

·
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got some of the parts today :D

I can't wait to put them in tomorrow, shits gonna be BOSS.

God damn they're big......Giggity :D

Mmmmm Bilsteins. I have them in the back already with the IRS...and I <3 them. Can't wait to put these in tomorrow. :D

Cobra A-Arms...more steering angle!!! Not a **** ton more, but better than stock at least. :D Hopefully these will help me to hold drifts just a little bit longer. Right now I'm plagued by not being able to turn the wheels far enough, I constantly end up having the wheels at full lock and still losing the back end and spinning out at higher speeds. Makes me mad, lol.

Shits all already put together, ready to just pull out the stock suspension, throw this in, get an alignment and get to driving. :D

Shiny new Ford Racing flywheel...just waiting on the clutch!

Tomorrow my buddy is going to bring over the springs and speakers, he forgot about them at his house. But now I have a full Termi suspension :D:D:D Now to start getting parts for that motor!

As for the RAM Clutch...no clue when I'll be getting that, American Muscle has them on backorder, hopefully I'll get it soon though. :mad

But for realsys...I'm sure this is the best $485 I've spent so far. :D Just those brakes alone usually go for $500-$600 from what I've seen.

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
i have a TOB from napa in my car and its a piece of garbage. best bet is buying oem.

looks like youve got a lil project man! keep us posted with lots of pics! im more of a picture kind of guy :eek:

·
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol isn't everybody? I always thought that Napa and OEM were pretty much comparable. Guess I'm wrong?

But yeah, the cars definitely turned into a project...once I get the suspension done, I'm going to be torn between doing a turbo/GT40 build on my current motor, or buying the Termi motor + T56 off my buddy. I'm really leaning towards the Termi swap since it has low miles and already has a Whipple on it, only problem is he wants $8k for it...once I start my job and get all my bills in order I think I'm gonna try and swing the idea of payments his way, I could easily afford doing $250-$300 a month until the total is paid off. :D

My goal in the end, is to have a budget built daily driving drift mustang that I can enter into car shows and not be embarrassed. It's a long and expensive road...doesn't help that theres only so much help for someone turning a Mustang into a drift car, everyone wants me to go the drag route haha.

·
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THEY'RE IN!!!

Ran into a couple of prpblems, nothing major though:

I found out GT brake lines are too short and had to go buy some Cobra ones, which worked great, but for some reason had the wrong kind of bolts in the blocks, not sure if they screwed up or if the bolts changed at some point.

Second problem I had was...I EFFIN HATE STOCK SPRINGS!!! :mad Putting them back into the car was the most time consuming part of the whole project, I ended up taking the isolators out, squishing them as far as I could with a spring compressor, then jimmying them into place and using a jack to push the control arm up until I could get the strut bolted in place...once the strut was bolted down, I was able to remove the spring compressor. Damn things were a nightmare though, I seriously considered chopping a few coils off several times.

Last problem is hopefully just because I havn't gotten an alignment yet, but my passenger tire rubs on the sway bar, apparently it was doing this before I swapped the suspension seeing as there is a part of the sway bar with no paint left, but now with the increased steering angle its more noticeable, the car feels like its "skipping" when you turn left at full lock. I'm going to get an alignment and see if that helps, if not then I don't know where to start with what might be wrong.

The car handles, rides, and stops amazingly now though, I'm able to take corners really fast and there's very little roll of the car, it also dives less when you stomp the brakes. I am guessing that once I pick up some lowering springs this will only improve, so I'm stoked.

And now some pictures :D :D :D

·
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the alignment done today, car handles GREAT, turns out it was just because it was off pretty much everywhere that I was having issues with the tires hitting the sway bar, my steering wheel isn't quite centered but I think that is because when I put the steering rack in I didn't line it up quite right, so I might mess with that a bit then redo the alignment, I get free alignments for life at Firestone now so I might as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts