Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking forward to chatting with you all, seems to be a lot of knowledge on these forums. i hope to contribute to it :D.

i have just started to build my track car, it was once my DD but hasn't run for years now. its a 1979 coupe 2.3t completely stock. carbed, hot-turbo(no intercooler), 4spd manual.

as far as motor goes i plan to rebuild w/ forged internals, a rad cam, nice head, bigger turbo (undecided what one, most likely hx35), i will probably run the stock turbo for now cuz it was just rebuilt before the motor killed over. and also add an intercooler, and i'll make my own exhaust.

any suggestions, info, or whatever is appreciated.

intentions are to have a track car for miller motorsports park, and also drag with it at rocky mountain raceway.

what are your opinions on the 2.5stroker i've read up on, is it worth the cost? and also i think i'm staying SOHC..i think the DOHC would interfere with the carb..and custom intake manifold..no thanks haha.

thanks all

·
Registered
148 Posts
are you going to keep it carbed?
those old draw thru carb set ups are kind cool
are you going to convert it to blow thru? if you going to run a holset your going to have to....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes i plan on leaving it carbed!

oh really? wouldn't it do the same thing.. this is exactly the info i need.

i would almost think that i would get a more accurate amount of fuel using a draw thru set up, having the turbo suck air through the carb. rather than pushing boosted air through the carb? if it would even make a difference..hmm more info anyone!?

my thoughts on that are that:
you never(through my experience) push boosted air through a MAF sensor, you draw atmosphere air through the MAF sensor..then boost that air after it has already taken its reading.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
your carb'd.... no Engine Control management at all
lol yes i realize that. haha ha. it was a comparison, using what i know.

I realize i have a carb lol. thanks

now in my current situation, i would assume that you shouldn't push boosted air through the carb. just like you wouldn't push boosted air through the MAF on a computer controlled car. right?

i've never modded a boosted/carbed car. my only tuning experience comes from newer cars.

rodthrower mention a blow thru conversion, it just didn't make sense to me?

·
Registered
148 Posts
most people with high power carb set ups do a blow thru
pushing the air through the carb instead of sucking it through the turbo

check out turboford.org theres a couple people with big hp carb cars
mainly in pintos

alot of MAF people do blow though MAFs so that you dont have to recirculate the BOV air, like a BPV

this guy is a regular on TF

he has a blow thru set up, check out his other vids too

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Thats Sleepert-birds car who is my second admin on my site and which now has a Chevy 305 in it

i have heard of some dis-advantages with the original 1979 2.3T becuase of its setup

·
Registered
148 Posts
turbo-have you been paying attention? lol
we have been talking about how the original 79 setup is a DRAW THRU setup
everyone pretty much converts to a BLOW THRU set up ie. the disadvantages and advantages

look at any carbed V8 forced induction car or any carbed 2.3T cars

the original setup puts the turbo on the intake side of the motor, totally different setup

·
Registered
148 Posts
check this out, here is a stock setup for a draw thru

places the turbo on drivers side of car

My 1980 Mercury Capri Turbo

people supposedly have been able to get decent times out of stock setup and i quote from TF "Having owned one in the past I know you could get a low 13/12.90 out of stock setup leaned on with decent amount of boost and pure C 16."

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
yea i know what your talking about, the original 79 2.3T was a deiiferent setup, thats what i siad

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice! thanks a ton, and yes i figured the main disadvantage of the 79 carbed motor would be turbo placement. i planned on mounting the turbo on the exhaust side of the motor, and it would be a lot easier to run a blow through setup. no doubt! i just didn't think you could, guess it makes sense.

preference in manufacturer for rods and pistons anyone? im shooting for high boost in the long run, keep in mind.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Most guys with TC's and SVOs are running stock pistons on 25psi

im running 28psi on JE pistons and Eagle H beam Rods

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
true true, i have heard of ppl pushing high boost on stock, but that scares me haha :p the motor is killed over anyway lol, so i'll be replacing them aftermarket no matter what. hmm.. your car runs an 8 sec. quarter mile :cool: ya those internals are probably good enough for me. ha! again thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh i see lol, well still they'll be solid enough. i'm more worried about finding a nice head, and actually full valvetrain and that wont drain my bank haha. and a cam, cuz my stock one isn't pretty. i think my motor was deprived of oil for the last part of its life lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just got my turbo!

i'm unsure of the make or what model turbo it is. but its big, not too big for what i want though. i think its a mitsubishi turbo, it came out of a Cat 320 Excavator ;-p. it is in great condition, and i think it will work awesome.

it has the divided exhaust housing like the holsets have, so i think i'll just grind the divider back and give it an edge. i planned on a little port and polish anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Build a paired runner header leave that split scroll housing alone! spools alot faster, thats the whole point of the split scroll

you only have to mill it when you run an internal wastegate with a open collector header or stock exhaust manifold but it will also suffer from slightly slower spool times

check into some split scroll headers and not all holsets have split scroll housings

for cam selection and porting check out boport flow development, - BOPORT Flow Development - Fremont CA
alot of people run the FMS a-237 and 227 and check out esslingerracing.com for more valvetrain, big dollar heads and other misc crap

stay away from the ranger roller thing IMO yeah its a roller, but its got no lift etc bla bla bla bla bla

1 - 20 of 37 Posts