Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just purchased a 2v today extremely happy been wanting this body style Mustang for a while now... As far as I'm aware the car is stock besides a k&n CAI, ST Shifter, and a Upgraded clutch. The car seems pretty solid except for one thing. Now when I shift through the gears the whole drive train seems to move like something is loose up under the car. I haven't had the chance to jack the car up to see what it possibly was even if I wanted to I couldn't being on a military base. But I know alot about mustangs in general the early model fox bodies but this is my first 4.6 so I wanted to here from the guys that know most about them before i get to tightening and loosing bolts. As i said before it happens when i shift the whole drive train seems to shift like from the trans back to the rear end making the car jumpy and twitchy when decelerating and like the trans is about to fallout the car when accelerating.. PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE.!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
possibly mounts
Motor mounts or cross member? I kind of thought it was the cross member not being tight of the bushing gone bad because a buddy of mine had the same problem and he switched some mounts on the car i for get what ones but it fixed his problem... Everytime his car downshifted the axle would jump

·
Super Moderator
13,580 Posts
There are only a few things that can cause this Motor mounts, trans mounts, U joints or check the rear driveshaft bolts to see if they might be loose.

·
Pimp
664 Posts
+ on tranny mounts/cross member. Rubber doesnt hold up long after oil/tranny fuild spilled on it and not cleaned. Eats it away. Can get a new one off a ford part site for 30 bucks shipped. Wouldnt hurt to replace it if it wasnt it anyways.

Rockauto.com

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it to the tranny shop today and the guy test drove it he said its just the clutch... Its like a stage 2 or 3 so then he recommend since the clutch is so stiff that i should get the stronger clutch cable made form aluminum because the plastic one is bond to break from the stress. what you think?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The clutch cable isn't plastic to my knowledge..... the stiffness of your clutch really doesn't have an effect on the wearing of your clutch cable since every mustang until 04 relies on mechanical advantage to pull the fork.... But i could be wrong on both counts I will be replacing my cable with either a ford clutch cable or get a whole clutch quad and firewall adjuster kit with the provided cable..... And its possible that you have a puck or paddle style clutch.... not really street friendly and its either engaged or not can't slip them too awful much.

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
I took it to the tranny shop today and the guy test drove it he said its just the clutch... Its like a stage 2 or 3 so then he recommend since the clutch is so stiff that i should get the stronger clutch cable made form aluminum because the plastic one is bond to break from the stress. what you think?
^what? lol

no, the stock clutch cable is by far the best one out there IMO. it has outlasted te other 2 aftermarket replacements i have had (steeda and BBK ? i believe) i had around 70K on my stock cable when it broke. the steeda was lucky to last 5-6K, the bbk didnt break but the coating started to shred and peel off.

if its clunking/banging, its got to be a trans mount, u-joint, or driveshaft bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts