Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just got a SCT SF3 from a member on here. It should be here Tuesday. Question: It says it has 5 tunes left or something. I will be able to plug this thing in and go, right guys? It should have "canned" tunes on it right which are like conservative, street, and race, right?

I have an auto with my check engine light. I will essentially be able to plug this thing in and go, right? For example, I will be able to gain HP and change throttle shift points and all that good stuff with this right?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The canned tunes were written for another ECU, but you will be able to use the strategy tune where you can adjust octane, spark etc.

·
Registered
890 Posts
hmmm ive heard alot of crazy things from using a tuner that was on a different car

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
The canned tunes were written for another ECU, but you will be able to use the strategy tune where you can adjust octane, spark etc.
Does the SCT Xcal2 allow a strategy tune as well? I am wanting to buy one from a friend that has zero tunes on it, but all I need to do at the moment is to turn off the rear 02's. Anybody know if thats possible?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa whoa whoa hold up a second guys. I cant plug this thing in to my car and "tune" the standard things like:

shift points
trac control on/off
hp increase
timing
air/fuel
economy/street/strip tune

I am not getting a little skeptical on what I actually bought. I just want to be able to take advantage of the tuner, as I have an auto with long tubes, tb and full exhaust and I plan on gettign gears real soon as well. Is this a good or bad thing for my to purchase? He has used it on his car, but I am having a hard time understanding what happened.

Apparently, he had a few custom tunes written for his car but the photo says 5 tunes left. Help!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is our conversation:

Yes, tuner is unlocked and only used a handful of times. I didn't use it as much as i thought i would, i had a lot more plans for my car when i bought it but never went through with any of the mods. Only reason i'm selling is because i plan on selling the car in a few months and thought i'd get rid of the tuner now. I'll attach a couple of pics in this message. Comes with USB cable and SCT plaque and also the cd-rom for your computer, forgot to put it in the picture. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me back. Thanks for your interest.

Hmm, OK. So tell me, was this just bought as is or did you have a whole bunch of tunes loaded onto it? I guess this whole tuner thing is a bit foreign to me. I have an auto with a few bolt ons. Please understand that I am very serious about purchasing it either today or tomorrow. Im working a better part of the day but want to research it a little more.

Sean

I had a few tunes loaded into it. Basically there are preset tunes from SCT that you can use or if you take it to one of your local speed shops that do tunes they can load a tune in for you, which costs money, or if you know someone that deals with tuners and tunes can do it for free. Can also get tunes from brenspeed, american muscle etc and they can email you the tune and you load it into the tuner via the usb cable.

Without having any custom tunes you would be able to do multiple changes from the time you get the tuner. Lets say you have 4.10 gears but never corrected the speedometer to compensate for the gear change, you can correct that. Can also change tire sizes if you upgraded to 19 inch wheels from the stock 17s so your speedo is corrected. Other things like air/fuel ratio can be changed, can turn traction control permanently off so you don't have to press the trac off button everytime you get in the car, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does the SCT Xcal2 allow a strategy tune as well? I am wanting to buy one from a friend that has zero tunes on it, but all I need to do at the moment is to turn off the rear 02's. Anybody know if thats possible?
The Xcal2 may or may not have the option to turn off rear oxygen sensors. From what I have seen, older models (like the Xcal2) only have the option due to EPA complaints.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa hold up a second guys. I cant plug this thing in to my car and "tune" the standard things like:

shift points
trac control on/off
hp increase
timing
air/fuel
economy/street/strip tune

I am not getting a little skeptical on what I actually bought. I just want to be able to take advantage of the tuner, as I have an auto with long tubes, tb and full exhaust and I plan on gettign gears real soon as well. Is this a good or bad thing for my to purchase? He has used it on his car, but I am having a hard time understanding what happened.

Apparently, he had a few custom tunes written for his car but the photo says 5 tunes left. Help!
I have purchased two different used tuners and both worked on my car when the time came with no problen. it had all the options you listed besides "hp increase" thats not an option but different things you can do within the different settings can increase horsepower. As long as he unmarried/unlocked it from his car then you are fine. Just bc its used it doesnt matter you are pluging it into your computer there are no mechanical moving parts to break over time so used or new they both will do the same job like pluggin a thumbdrive into a different computer.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, its unmarried. Good to know I will be able to adjust shift points and everything. That's what I was looking for. Wel, HP increase I was meaning it will make the engine run more efficiently, there fore freeing up a couple HP right?

I want to take my check engine off
adjust shift points
correct the speedo for larger wheels
correct the A/F ratio due to having LT's (not sure if it matter)

I basically just plug it in and go, right? Like it will take me through my option and all that jazz? Should this unit come canned with 3 different tunes i.e. economy, street, and race?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Yes, its unmarried. Good to know I will be able to adjust shift points and everything. That's what I was looking for. Wel, HP increase I was meaning it will make the engine run more efficiently, there fore freeing up a couple HP right?

adjust shift points

I basically just plug it in and go, right? Like it will take me through my option and all that jazz? Should this unit come canned with 3 different tunes i.e. economy, street, and race?
you'll need a tune written to the handhelf for your specific car to adress the check eng. light as well as any adjustments for the l/t's.

you only will have a "strategy tune" from SCT to work with without getting tunes for your car from someone.

you will not have the trhee tunes your asking about without paying someone to write them for you.

other than that, yes it's just plug & play.

·
Registered
65 Posts

adjust shift points

You can adjust 3/4 on your list with the strategy tune, but you will need at least an e-mail tune in order to compensate further downstream 02 sensors.

Any number of companies out there can create the tune you need for your long tubes, but prices vary from $75 to $125.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is still cheaper than buying one new, even is I have to pay $75 to a company to "write" me a tune for the 4:10's I just ordered, my long tubes, and everything else. But I am going to be able to adjust the shift points with the SCT right when I get it right? That's weird that I won't be able to take off the check engine with the tuner...I thought you were suppose to be able to?

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is still cheaper than buying one new, even is I have to pay $75 to a company to "write" me a tune for the 4:10's I just ordered, my long tubes, and everything else. But I am going to be able to adjust the shift points with the SCT right when I get it right? That's weird that I won't be able to take off the check engine with the tuner...I thought you were suppose to be able to?
Sorry I did not clarify that for you, but you will be able to read your codes as well as clear them. However, I do believe that your codes are related to your LT's and they will come back after being cleared until you purchase a tune for them.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Like mutag03 said you can clear the code but eventually it will come back just like with an o/r x or h you can clear the code but it will come back on after like 100+miles well at least mine did. As far as the gears there Will be options in the tuner for you to change the gear ratio when you first get the tuner no email tune needed for that. So you will be able to clear the code and Yes you can adjust your shift point and shift pressure as soon as you get it as long as its unlocked. Other options remove the speed limiter, idle rpm, drive rpm, max rpm in neutral, max rpm in drive, economy tune,87 octane tune, 89oct tune, 93 oct tune, and a few more things that I cant t hink of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
never in my life have i heard someone say "right" as many times as you just did lol..but as long as its not married to the previous owners car then youre good to go man!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright cool guys. Thanks for clarifying for me here. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the right tuner for my car. Now the biggest problem is to somehow hide it from the fiancee or convince her the gears and tuner are really something else. Kinda tough when it's going to be shipped to our house before I get home. Dohhh!!!!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys, I know I need gear oil and limited slip additive as well, right? I really don't want to have to order these things. The guy installing is recommending Valvoline for the gear oil but didn't know for the LSD additive. Any advice here?

·
Registered
65 Posts
4 oz of friction modifier can be bought through Ford or many other parts stores

Rear end takes 2 quarts of your gear oil (70W-140) and the 4 oz of friction modifier

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Xcal2 may or may not have the option to turn off rear oxygen sensors. From what I have seen, older models (like the Xcal2) only have the option due to EPA complaints.
I have an Xcal2 that I bought used. It said status stock but still had to be connected to livewire to completely unlock it for my car.. As far as the O2 sensors, the way my tuner explained it is that is up to your tuner to give you optional parameters on your handheld. He gave me all options, so I do have a option to turn off rear O2s

1 - 20 of 21 Posts