Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, what is wrong with just removing the catalytic converters on the stock exhaust system and leaving the factory H-pipe? Are the bends in the aftermarket mid-pipes that much better than the factory pipes?

·
its JUSA 2V
3,411 Posts
If your going for sound it will be the same aftermarket have a little less of a bend so you will have a little more restriction but i really doubt you would see much difference in the bends

The hp robber is the cats

- Sent from the cellular

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
its easier to buy a midpipe than try to fab up one with a bunch of jagged edged cuts and clamps. if a shop does it and welds it then its going to cost just as much as if you would have bought one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now that does make sense. Here in Va I only have to pass a visual inspection. so a set of hollowed out cats (ones with a pipe shoved through and welded up on both ends) will pass inspection here. just eating my options.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
now that does make sense. Here in Va I only have to pass a visual inspection. so a set of hollowed out cats (ones with a pipe shoved through and welded up on both ends) will pass inspection here. just eating my options.
You need to also have a tuner to disable the rear O2's. In VA, you have a visual AND an OBD-II reading.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gotcha. I've been a bit spoiled for a while now by an inspector that let's me slide on some things. guess that's one of them. good things a tuner is on the short list. lol

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Dont cut up your mid pipe thats ghetto, just buy a new mid pipe im sure most all of the performance sites will be having black Friday & Cyber monday sales.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I think he's trying to keep the illusion that he has cats. Do like the rest of us, buy a new mid pipe and keep the stock "just in case". Buy multiple years at a time during inspection, if you can.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't want cats at all on the car. it makes sense to just keep the stocker and IF I need to, swap it once a year. it looks like I could land an O/R H-pipe for under $200 all day long.

·
Hardon Enthusiast
2,291 Posts
I keep everything I take off. When its time to sell my car, ill demod it and make a little $ back for mods on the next one. Used midpipe around 100 bucks, on the classifieds all the time. AnotherS197 has a prochamber for sale, go pick that up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think he's trying to keep the illusion that he has cats. Do like the rest of us, buy a new mid pipe and keep the stock "just in case". Buy multiple years at a time during inspection, if you can.
Yeah, the original idea was to give the illusion that I had functional cats on the car.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
im here in md and believe me the "visual" inspection is a joke, the guy walking around my car with the mirror was texting on his phone. my car has an o/r h pipe and passed with just turning off the rear o2 sensors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts