Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing my clutch the other day and have noticed a tapping coming from somewhere in the floor. I started the car up today and it took me having to drive around for a few mins to warm up and it started again. The sound seems to start when I rev around 2000 to 3000 rpm and then I cannot hear it anymore, could be the engine drowning it out. The sound will go away if I push the clutch pedal in maybe .25 to .5". I would assume its pushing the throw out against the pressure plate fingers and stopping the vibrations.

Maybe someone has experienced this or can tell me what to check out while I am under there to figure it out.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
You're one of about half of mustang drivers that has had this issue, don't feel like you are alone. A little more info though, did you replace it with a stock clutch or aftermarket? Same question for the throw out bearing and all other clutch components. Did you do the install yourself? If so, how well if at all did you grease the TOB and trans input shaft? Some solutions can be found depending on what set-up you're running.

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
Does your clutch vibrates when that happens, is the sound like a metal or plastic? I have a vibration and its my quadrant its already worn but I just putted tape around and now it works fine and even adjusting the cable didnt work..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a aftermarket clutch from perfection (same company that makes zoom), supposed to be a oem replacement. I did grease the inside of the throw out and put a very small amount of grease on the input shaft sleeve where the throw out rides. I checked it out today and what is happening is right around 2000 rpms the clutch fork starts shaking to the left and the right really bad. I can adjust the stock quadrant putting slight pressure on the cable to make it stop but then I am afraid the throw out will wear out quickly. I am glad I am not alone as I was starting to think that I was since I have posted on a few other forums with no results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The throw out was also included in the clutch kit, used same fork and everything else as everything looked fine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My OEM replacement & Centerforce clutch both did that until I took it apart for the third time and used red thread locker & a lower torque setting on the pressure plate bolts... I wanna say I tightened to 5 ft/lb's over the lowest recommended setting. 20 ft/lb's maybe? Hard to recall but that fixed it! Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it could be due to over torque thats probably it... I went by the haynes manual which states 12 to 24 and probably went 24. I just noticed your in Brandon, I am also. Do you happen to know of trustworthy shop that would fix it for me? I am still trying to catch up on work from the last time I took it apart.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My dad has taken all his vehicles to Transmatics Transmissions - I can't remember what they quoted me to replace the clutch but I'm a fan of doing it myself so that's what I did. If you can't find the number I'll try and find it but I'm pretty sure it's lost, I only know the name of the place, out in Tampa somewhere... Real nice guys though, just a two man show and they're good as all the vehicles my dad has put in there have come out in 1 - 2 days and never failed...

·
Registered
343 Posts
if you press the clutch .25 .5 the throw out bearing IS riding on the pressure plate too much. its suppose to ride a little. go to your car and take your toe and lift up on your clutch pedal. you will have to give it a little muscle but not alot. im not sure its the same on the v6 but like on the gt's you should hear it self adjust the tension on the cable. hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried to pull up, and it didn't help it, actually made it worse.... if I tighten the quadrant it goes away but then I am preloading the pressure plate. I am going to checkout transmatic today and see whats up. I think I am going to go ahead and have them put in a new clutch along with the rear main seal and a new flywheel. I was doing alot of research lastnight and they say ford designed the car to where the TOB will always be in contact with the pressure plate.... probably why everyone has prpoblems. I was wondering if maybe the pressure plate is just new and it will stop once it has broken in a bit? I only have 271 miles on the clutch so don't know if I should wait till 500. Really sucks, I was getting ready to supercharge her and now have to redo it.

Just wondering, anyone know how much the tranny weighs? I might redo it myself but don't want to have to rent a tranny jack again. I could have bought one from harbor freight for the rental fee last time...

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
About 75 lbs. You can hold it on your chest and take it out yourself unless you weigh <120lbs. Not that hard really. If you can have the car on jackstands and have a hydraulic/racing jack you can use that to support the trans. Why have them put in a new clutch if yours is only 271 miles? Wtf? the TOB may just be a crappy piece, you may also not have put enough grease on/around it. Maybe replace the fork since you say its wandering. A shop is gonna charge you ridic. amounts to do something that you already have 96% done. I would try to handle it on your own. And normally 500miles is the recommended break in for a new clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts