Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOOHOO! I just won a pair of edelrock performer cylinder heads with a stage 2 port job and 2.20" valves on ebay. Ebay is our friend:D. $770. Only have 2 hours of run time on a dyno on them. Now I can save the monwy from machining the P heads and sell them. That will more than justify the exra expence of these heads.

I have an e303 cam. I know it's not the favorite around here but i have it and may use it at the beggining at least. I have a performer rpm intake. Anybody have these heads or rpm heads? What cam do you like.

With the 2.02 valves will i need to have my machine shop cut the pistons for them?

THANKS!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
yes, you will need larger valve reliefs

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
WOOHOO! I just won a pair of edelrock performer cylinder heads with a stage 2 port job and 2.20" valves on ebay. Ebay is our friend:D. $770. Only have 2 hours of run time on a dyno on them. Now I can save the monwy from machining the P heads and sell them. That will more than justify the exra expence of these heads.

I have an e303 cam. I know it's not the favorite around here but i have it and may use it at the beggining at least. I have a performer rpm intake. Anybody have these heads or rpm heads? What cam do you like.

With the 2.02 valves will i need to have my machine shop cut the pistons for them?

THANKS!

Fly cutting at a machine shop is gonna run 18-25 dollars a piston, Id check into some newer pistons...Now is better time than ever.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I'm with **** ^^^

·
Registered
698 Posts
Bolt them on and check clearance (you need 2 light springs and a 2 dummied up factory roller lifters). I ran an "F" cam on an 86 short block (true factory forged flat tops no reliefs) 0.00 decked with a set of shaved and modified E7 heads and still had a little clearance to spare. Just like E-Bay is your friend, so is Clay! Good price on the heads by the way.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Bolt them on and check clearance (you need 2 light springs and a 2 dummied up factory roller lifters). I ran an "F" cam on an 86 short block (true factory forged flat tops no reliefs) 0.00 decked with a set of shaved and modified E7 heads and still had a little clearance to spare. Just like E-Bay is your friend, so is Clay! Good price on the heads by the way.
He has 2.02 valves, you didn't, the factory reliefs are made for 1.90" intake valves max.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Read as no fly cuts period. Flat Top. F cam = .512/.512 lift E cam = .498/.498 lift. He's going to take the top end off irregardless. Cost to check valve clearance prior to pulling the rest of the engine apart to fly cut or replace pistons, no additional cost. Tear it apart and its bearings, rings, at leat a block hone if not overbore, gaskets etc. = $$$$ (not to mention his combustion chambers are probably larger, my heads were milled)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Read as no fly cuts period. Flat Top. F cam = .512/.512 lift E cam = .498/.498 lift. He's going to take the top end off irregardless. Cost to check valve clearance prior to pulling the rest of the engine apart to fly cut or replace pistons, no additional cost. Tear it apart and its bearings, rings, at leat a block hone if not overbore, gaskets etc. = $$$$ (not to mention his combustion chambers are probably larger, my heads were milled)
Stop writing in yellow...it's annoying.

Also, yes, you should always check clearance. But I already know he'll be having issues with the 2.02 intake valves. It tells you right on edelbrocks website that you have to fly cut the pistons. With the larger intake valve, the stock relief is the same as a flat top piston because the valve is larger it would hit the piston in a slightly different area.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
not necessarily, i had a buddy who ran rpm heads on a stock shortblock with a cam ( i don't remember what cam it was ) it was a couple of years ago so i don't remember specifics but they were rpm heads and the shortblock was stock and i know he didn't fly cut the pistons

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
well, best bet is to check it and then replace the pistons or have them flycut when you find out the facts.

My buddy ran 4" valves with pop up pistons no problem...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I actualy am doing a v6 to 5.0 swap. I am building the engine up and it's all apart right now. The block and crank and rods will go into the machine shop in the next 2 weeks. I don't have it ready to install the cam, rods etc. So I can't do any checking now. I'll be purchasing the parts once the machine shop check it out to see what sizes I need.
So should i just have them cut the pistons? ????
What would you do??

·
Registered
698 Posts
Since the engine is in pieces and the block is going off to the machine shop. New forged pistons are the smart thing. No valve clearance issues and the machine shop will need the pistons to hone / bore the block anyway. Good luck with the swap, just did the same thing last summer but switched from the t-5 to a PA C-4. (some pics in the Gallery)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts