Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I'm in the process of buying a tubular k member for my 2009 to offset the extra weight for my glass roof, I've searched a lot and it seems like UPR (26#) and BmR (24#) are good choices since I will be reusing my stock a arms / frpp springs and struts. I do plan on adding either brands arms and possibly getting coil overs but that wouldn't be for a while! So with that being said which k member will play best with my stock components for several months until I upgrade the rest.

Also my car is not set up for drag racing or course racing, I drive it 1-4 times a month but I will take it to the strip eventually.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hello guys I'm in the process of buying a tubular k member for my 2009 to offset the extra weight for my glass roof, I've searched a lot and it seems like UPR (26#) and BmR (24#) are good choices since I will be reusing my stock a arms / frpp springs and struts. I do plan on adding either brands arms and possibly getting coil overs but that wouldn't be for a while! So with that being said which k member will play best with my stock components for several months until I upgrade the rest.

Also my car is not set up for drag racing or course racing, I drive it 1-4 times a month but I will take it to the strip eventually.
Well, in all honesty....they should work pretty similar, assuming that Brand U has a quality manufacturing procedure for the K-Member. Their S197 K-Member is a copy of ours.

That said, I am not sure if they used our K-Member to make their jig, or not. If they did, I have faith that our (BMR) K-Member will fit better, because we re-engineered our K-Member after they released their copy of ours.

I always recommend going with the innovators, and not the imitators....but, I can definitely see why some people will purchase the less expensive option.

As for A-Arms, they make such a big difference in the dynamics of the car. The steering, braking, handling, suspension movement.....they help tremendously. Keep in mind, Brand U does not offer tubular A-Arms. We do, as you likely know.

Thanks for considering our components, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The upr one is not much cheaper than the the BMR unit. Order the BMR one from AM and use the forum discount code. BMR parts ar going on my car after I buy another daily. I love that they check the forums and help people and they have awesome customer reviews.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
BMR is the only one I would consider.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Well, in all honesty....they should work pretty similar, assuming that Brand U has a quality manufacturing procedure for the K-Member. Their S197 K-Member is a copy of ours.

That said, I am not sure if they used our K-Member to make their jig, or not. If they did, I have faith that our (BMR) K-Member will fit better, because we re-engineered our K-Member after they released their copy of ours.

I always recommend going with the innovators, and not the imitators....but, I can definitely see why some people will purchase the less expensive option.

As for A-Arms, they make such a big difference in the dynamics of the car. The steering, braking, handling, suspension movement.....they help tremendously. Keep in mind, Brand U does not offer tubular A-Arms. We do, as you likely know.

Thanks for considering our components, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Good luck! :thumb:
I'm glad BMR is taking a more aggressive route with UPR's blatant copying of your product.

BMR K-member all the way.

If you get their A-Arms with the taller ball joints you will want a bumpsteer kit sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks a lot guys! I'll be buying the BMR k members very soon with some LCA! I'm excited to get it in red!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm glad BMR is taking a more aggressive route with UPR's blatant copying of your product.

BMR K-member all the way.

If you get their A-Arms with the taller ball joints you will want a bumpsteer kit sooner rather than later.
Thanks Whiskey.

And just to throw it out there, we have been seeing more and more bent/snapped "tall" ball joints, in the 18mm variety.

I am working on integrating a caution/note to customers who are using the "tall" versions for handling. I may even discontinue the tall 18mm versions.

I feel MUCH more comfortable directing people towards the 19mm Tall versions....as they have proven to be much more durable. The only downfall is, the 2005 - August 2009 cars will need to either modify their ball joint mounts....or upgrade to a newer spindle.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Wow thanks a lot guys! I'll be buying the BMR k members very soon with some LCA! I'm excited to get it in red!
AWESOME!

Let me know if you have any questions. :thumb:

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Thanks Whiskey.

And just to throw it out there, we have been seeing more and more bent/snapped "tall" ball joints, in the 18mm variety.

I am working on integrating a caution/note to customers who are using the "tall" versions for handling. I may even discontinue the tall 18mm versions.

I feel MUCH more comfortable directing people towards the 19mm Tall versions....as they have proven to be much more durable. The only downfall is, the 2005 - August 2009 cars will need to either modify their ball joint mounts....or upgrade to a newer spindle.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

AWESOME!

Let me know if you have any questions. :thumb:
There was a guy over on S197 Forum in the Corner - Carver section that drilled out his 05-09 spindles to fit 19mm ball joints. Since the hole is only expanding 1mm I doubt it negatively impacted the strength of the spindle and frankly isn't that difficult to do correctly. That might be worth testing if you guys are feeling frisky! :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
There was a guy over on S197 Forum in the Corner - Carver section that drilled out his 05-09 spindles to fit 19mm ball joints. Since the hole is only expanding 1mm I doubt it negatively impacted the strength of the spindle and frankly isn't that difficult to do correctly. That might be worth testing if you guys are feeling frisky! :)
I've had road course customers doing this for several years now, with no issues. I was leary the first time I "suggested" it on Robin Riners AIX car....but, so far so good. I havent seen any issues yet.

Even if the quality was the same I would go with BMR, their customer service definitely sets a standard in the industry that many other companys could learn from. Just my 2 cents
Thanks a ton!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Two Cents:

Brand U's k-member is lighter because it is chrome-moly. Brand B's is mild steel. Also, Brand U decided not to manufacture tubular a-arms after seeing Brand B's a-arms fail (break apart), multiple times. It seems that the OEM arms with upgraded bushings are the way to go.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
What brand B had their A-arms break apart?

·
00blkvert
1,981 Posts
Brand B has continued to update their arms. I haven't seen their arms break "apart". Yes there was an issue at one point but they took their designed and made it stronger. So to me brand U didn't design arms because of brand B had an issue. I'm also taking it as brand U had no where to start their design from and didn't attempt to engineer it on their own.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yep, BMR for me .... Just ordered their K-Member and A-Arms

1 - 20 of 25 Posts