Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about installing an aftermarket k member when i pull my motor for the one i am building, question is can i use my stock a arms for now, and would i need to get the car aligned after everything is said and done???..

Also how many bolts hold the trans(auto) to the block, not including the torque converter bolts!!!???

Thanks guys!!

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
yes, you can use your stock A arms with SOME aftermarket K members, but you will still have to use a coil over kit, aftermarket K members dont have spring purches.

you will need a alignment.

why not just buy the UPR K member? its the lightest out there, reducing 65LBS off the front end, for $700 your get K member, A arms, and coilover conversion, the only other thing you need is a good set of CC plates.

im going to say there 8, or 9 bolts holding the tranny to block, then 3 more on the starter

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the urp stuff today and that is about the same price i came up with, my problem is that the motor is going to be draining the wallet for a while, so if i can get away with buying the k member and just the coilovers for now i might just do that cause my car is just the toy of fleet.... haha

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
I was looking at the urp stuff today and that is about the same price i came up with, my problem is that the motor is going to be draining the wallet for a while, so if i can get away with buying the k member and just the coilovers for now i might just do that cause my car is just the toy of fleet.... haha
you dont save that much $$ by buying it seperatly. i think UPR charges $500 for the K member along seperatly, and $150 for the coil overs, so for another $50 you get the A arms too, i guarantee you it will cost you alot more than that later.

the best thing you can do is just order it all together.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok next question whats the difference in the spring rate???... a 12-110 or the 12-130??? If you know??>..

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have an aftermarket K-Member and I used the stock a arms with my eibach lowering springs. I didnt need coilovers. you will have to grind the stock a arms a little though. You will need an alignment after it and I also had to buy caster camber plates.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
You can also use 03 Cobra control arms, the give the car a better stance and are pretty cheap.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
ok next question whats the difference in the spring rate???... a 12-110 or the 12-130??? If you know??>..
what do you want to do with the car? road race, street driving, drag?

i got 12" 250LBS springs they are the street springs, and are supposed to be a good all around spring.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
yes, you can use your stock A arms with SOME aftermarket K members, but you will still have to use a coil over kit, aftermarket K members dont have spring purches.
how do you come up with this stuff??? some kits dont have spring perch provisions, but others do.

i will be buying probably a QA1 for mine and looking into the cobra a-arms.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
how do you come up with this stuff??? some kits dont have spring perch provisions, but others do.

i will be buying probably a QA1 for mine and looking into the cobra a-arms.
i meant most dont.

the QA1 does, but i personally wouldnt put a QA1 on my car, its loud, and heavy.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
not to worried about shaving all the weight, just what i can easily. not only that, i am looking for some help to get to my headers for as often as i have to pull the right side to get to the trans.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Also how many bolts hold the trans(auto) to the block, not including the torque converter bolts!!!???/quote]

When you go to disconnect the tranny from the motor, disconnect the top two bolts first...this will save you a crap load of headaches trying to figure out how to get them out. I want to say its around 13 bolts that hold the tranny to the motor...10 for bell housing, 3 for starter....but dont quote me on that one. I'll be able to find out for sure sometime next week. Or just go by a ford parts department, they have a full parts breakdown that will show all bolts and location of the bolts.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i always pulled the top 2 out last, but thats me. there are 6 bolts from housing to motor, 2 dust sheild to trans, 3 on starter. they are 13mm for all the trans bolts and i think 10mm for the starter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys for all the help!!!

I plan on just having my car a street car, nothing super crazy!!! Just an all around fast and good handling car!!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
so whats different about the cobra a arms?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts