Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I did an oil change and went to literally all the part stores in my area looking for a motorcraft oil filter and not one had them in stock for our cars so I settled for a k&n. Was this a good choice? Ive only ran motorcraft since Ive gotten the car so im not sure of the quality. For the price I hope it does a good job :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
K&N sells good filters, some of the cheapers filter dont have the one way check valve that keeps the oil from backflowing. For example my Lexus has a filter with a check valve after researching I found that the parts store on did not so I always use the OEM filter on that car. I personally like Amsoils filters better than all the other due to the extensive research they perform, and thier rugged design.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
ya thats all i used on mine except this oil change since i had an extra motor craft laying around

autozone by my house has em

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Walmart here sells the Motorcraft FL-820-S for $3.50, sometimes less--that's all I've used for 6 years and 130k miles...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
This was an interesting thread on K&N filters awhile back on the performance side.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...k-n-filters-help-performance-think-again.html
This thread is about oil filters, however I find nothing at all surprising that the K&N drop-in filter reduced HP in a real back-to-back test. This has been true for 15 years or more however their marketing hype and prevailing conventional wisdom work closely together to suppress this truth.

More about my opinion of K&N air filters, from 2004, here...

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
This thread is about oil filters, ...
Apologies for throwing that curve ball in about air filters then. Seeing that heading made me think of that old thread I posted.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Motorcraft or Wix. You have Oreilleys by you?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Walmart here sells the Motorcraft FL-820-S for $3.50, sometimes less--that's all I've used for 6 years and 130k miles...
I went to walmart hoping they had them and they didnt have our size -.-

ya thats all i used on mine except this oil change since i had an extra motor craft laying around

autozone by my house has em
I went there -.-

Motorcraft or Wix. You have Oreilleys by you?
Yea I have two they didnt have one that fit either

·
dirt/street Motorsports
683 Posts
good info, any test on the diablosport intune yet?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Currently I have an Amsoil oil filter on my Stang, however when i recently went to my local Advanced Autoparts, they had the Motorcraft FL820S filters there for $3.99 a piece, and I could not help myself but to buy all of the ones they had on the shelf. I got 3 Motorcraft oil filters for the price of 1 amsoil filter.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The amsoil oil filters are constructed very well but unless you are doing extended interval changes with your oil(should also be doing oil analysis if you do) they are not worth it. I change my oil every 5K miles and use motorcraft filters when i do because they work well and are inexpensive. I am not going to get into the air filter thing as I am still a firm believer that he stock paper or amsoil paper filters are best. I don't even think CAI benefit much on a stock vehicle.

·
Hot rod Stang
550 Posts
Fram makes several filters, I use Motorcraft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts