Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have problems with KB 2.1 supercharger @ 9 psi breaking the power steering pump? I just got the supercharger installed last week and apparently it broke my power steering pump so another one was ordered and put on today and it broke the new one as well....any suggestions as to what could be the problem?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
IT's not a common problem, however I can see how it can happen--adding the torque required to spin the blower to the serpentine belt path greatly increases the side load on the p/s pump shaft.

Have you contacted Kenne Bell?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed kenne bell a few hours ago. I will be go over everything tomorrow with my mechanic...so I will check the idler pulleys....the belts, etc just to be sure. No I didn't have any power brake or steering issues before the install.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having an issue with my power steering pump, car has a 5.0 stroker&Kenne Bell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As stated in my heading, I am having an issue with my power steering pump. I have a Livernois 5.0 stroker 2V. in my Mustang GT, the motor revs to 6,700rpm's and has a Kenne Bell 2.1 on it as well. I had originally had an alternator issue last year, due to the high revs of the stroker motor. I had to have the alternator done three times by PA performance, due to the smaller than stock pully the PA alternator comes with. I switched the alternator back the the stock size, and did not have another issue until I took it to the track at the end of last year. Needless to say the alternator over-spun again, at which time I contacted Metco in search of a larger pully. Metco sent me an 8 rib 3.25in. pully for the alternator, which with thier calculations slowed it down just slightly below stock. The pully is a wagon wheel when comparing it to stock, but does the job in slowing it down. When I installed the 3.25 alternator last year just before putting the car into hibernation for the winter, I took the car out for a walk through its paces and noticed the power steering fluid on the ground under my car the next morning. In addition to the power steering pump leak, the belt tensioner snapped. I took the car apart last week to address the tensioner and power steering pump, I replaced both on Saturday morning and started it up with no leak issues and with great belt tension again. There was barely any remnants left of the front seal of the power steering pump when I pressed the pully off it, and knew exactly why it was leaking so badly. I drove my car around Saturday all day, because I missed the power and it was nice weather. When I came out into the driveway Sunday morning, my car had a little puddle underneeth it, it got under to take a sample on my finger and realized it was power steering fluid?!? I started the car up and looked down at the power steering pump, and right away seen fluid steadily coming down from the front nose of the pully?!? I could not believe what I was seeing, which leads me to my question. Now already having the serious overdrive issue with my alternator, could it be possible that I am overdriving my power steering pump? Please note that my car did not even see 5,000rpm's when I drove it on Saturday, so it was well within stock range so there should have been no issue. I got the pump from NAPA, I dont like Advance ot Autozone for stuff like that. I called NAPA and they appoligzed and will cover it, they have one on the way for me tomorrow morning. Do any of you think I just got a fluke bad one from NAPA, and should just swap it out again and see what happens. I am probably over thinking the whole thing, I just dont want the issues I had with my alternator with this and have to change it a third time.
I found this post in another forum and I noticed one thing that we had in common was the PA Alternator. My alternator have not given me any issues or anything at this point though. I was thinking about switching back to the stock alternator when installing the next power steering pump to see if this remedy's the problem. Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, or input.

·
Registered
256 Posts
hey man...sorry to get a lil off topic, but im plannin to strap on a sc this summer and im really wanting the 2.1 kb like you got...jus wonderin how much you paid for it (new/used) and what you paid to get it tuned.???..and if you are really impressed with the gains you got from it...and was it worth what you paid for it...???

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Anybody have problems with KB 2.1 supercharger @ 9 psi breaking the power steering pump? I just got the supercharger installed last week and apparently it broke my power steering pump so another one was ordered and put on today and it broke the new one as well....any suggestions as to what could be the problem?

what do you mean by "broke" seal leaking or shaft snapping etc

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey man...sorry to get a lil off topic, but im plannin to strap on a sc this summer and im really wanting the 2.1 kb like you got...jus wonderin how much you paid for it (new/used) and what you paid to get it tuned.???..and if you are really impressed with the gains you got from it...and was it worth what you paid for it...???
I got it directly from kenne bell and I paid $4500 for it new(intercooled). I really kan't give an accurate estimate of the gains because we haven't run it really hard yet...but there is a definite night and day difference. For the most part I am impressed......and would buy again.......

·
Registered
256 Posts
Alright man sounds good...let me know what kinda gains you get once you get some numbers...

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
sounds like too much tension on the belt. check for the right size belt. are you using an aftermarket tensioner?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds like too much tension on the belt. check for the right size belt. are you using an aftermarket tensioner?
Not that I am aware of...I'm going to the shop after this meeting and will post back after the close of business....

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have not had this problem, but during my install I found that the idler location described in the kit was extremely tight and hard to get the belt in place. I moved the pully mount one hole off and found that the tensioner was then spot-on 50% of it's travel arm range.

Maybe they wrenched the belt over the pulley as installed in the kit position and the tension is too much.

Might be worth a look and see. Should be easy to count the holes and compare it to the instructions. You could also mark where the tension arm sits as installed, then remove the belt and see how much of the range is taken up.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
^+1.

If the belt is as tight a s bow string to start, then the p/s pump shaft could break just from normal variations in the belt's elasticity--add the power requirements of the blower to that and "snap!"...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spoke with him briefly on my way home and he said that it was was steering rack. While the car was not in high rpm it was fine but when it got into high rpms it broke the seal again. After making some calls around the Ford dealership said to check the steering rack and it had something to do with the pressure being release all at once on the power steering pump. Sorry for not using the automotive terms...but it was part on the steering rack that was stuck that wasn't allowing the pressure to be released like it should. So, I will give you guys a more accurate account of everything tomorrow when I go by the shop. They will be putting in a new rack tomorrow.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is one I've never heard before. But, I guess anything's possible. If all the correct pulley's and dampners are being used, nothing should have really changed regarding the external accessory components attached to the motor, and surely the pressure in the fluid system for the power steering shouldn't have changed any! I'd be more than a little skeptical of a mechanic who claims that a power steering pump is failing because you added a supercharger.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I had also interpreted "broke" as snapping the shaft.

The seal blowing out is relatively common when the rack gets crapped up because the boots fail, if the p/s fluid has never been flushed and the mileage is up there, or any other reason that causes it bind up...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Issue resolved....it was the rack thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it guys. Now I have another issue or just question....but I put it in another post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts