Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at kb non i/c kool kit for 02 mustang gt with slightly mod. also my car has 75k miles. what's the chances of my car overheating without an intercooler because i'm forcing too much air in my engine? thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm looking at kb non i/c kool kit for 02 mustang gt with slightly mod. also my car has 75k miles. what's the chances of my car overheating without an intercooler because i'm forcing too much air in my engine? thanks
Well an intercooler cools the air going into the supercharger to make the air more dense. So with an intercooler you are really putting more in so to speak. Stay low on the boost and you will be fine.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
no the intercooler is udner the blower..so it coolers after on a PD blower.

I'd get one

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. the recommended boost for non i/c is 6lbs? also i think my pcv valve is broken or maybe my hose is just flat. It's leaking below my pcv but not a lot. Is this going to be a problem if I install the kb? thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no the intercooler is udner the blower..so it coolers after on a PD blower.

I'd get one
I plan on getting one but not right away. thanks

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
did it right the first time..or it will cost you more

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
mbtech is going by the actually definition of an intercooler. an intercooler by design doesn indeed cool the charge before the turbo or supercharger. what we call intercoolers are really aftercoolers, that is they cool the charge after it has been compressed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did it right the first time..or it will cost you more
believe me i want to do it right but, the money is being used for other things. I wish all my income can go to my car hahaha. Im just hoping to keep it at 6lbs of boost for now and thats what i heard from somebody if i want to run non I/C KB.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
then wait a few months more to afford it

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
then wait a few months more to afford it
I have to buy one after my deployment here in Iraq. I been waiting for five years for the right time hahaha. If i don't do it now all my money will be going to my house hahaha. I have to reward myself now! thats why im askin if 6lbs of boost for now is fine?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
it's fine for what you have, but you aren't going to be satisfied. in a month you're going to be back at square 1 wanting more power because quite frankly 6lbs isn't enough. save the extra $1,000 to get the intercooled kit. oh! and if you call kenne bell up and can prove that you are int he military you get a healthy discount as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's fine for what you have, but you aren't going to be satisfied. in a month you're going to be back at square 1 wanting more power because quite frankly 6lbs isn't enough. save the extra $1,000 to get the intercooled kit. oh! and if you call kenne bell up and can prove that you are int he military you get a healthy discount as well.
thanks for the extra info about the discount! your right about wanting more power but, I know I can save up for the cooler down the road and that's all I want to hear if this set-up is going to be okay for now. Thanks

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
then your taking the blower and bumper off later...once and done man. Same the money and time run 8-9psi and drove it like ya stole it

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Save for the intercooled KB. A positive displacement without one generates a lot of heat and sits right on the motor.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
under 8Lbs you will be fine
Yeah in chicago weather under 7-8lbs he should be fine non ic. As long as he doesnt mind coming up with cash later for the intercooler if he wants to up the boost. I know im non ic right now with 5-6lbs of boost.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'm in Chicago and run a centri at 9psi non-intercooled without any issues, but I would not add a positive displacement blower without an intercooler. It gets well into the 90's here during the summer. I could tell a big difference with my blower between 50 degree weather and 90's. It must be much worse with one sitting right on top of your motor heating it up.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
I'm in Chicago and run a centri at 9psi non-intercooled without any issues, but I would not add a positive displacement blower without an intercooler. It get wells into the 90's here during the summer.
What size pulley are you running? 3.60 or 3.33?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
What size pulley are you running? 3.60 or 3.33?
3.6 and powerpipe. I haven't seen 9psi in a while. It gets up to 6psi maybe 7psi. I think it's just belt stretch. I was debating just throwing a 3.33 on it to bring the power up a bit, but I might just wait until I put the intercooler on and do a 3.25. It would only cost about $150 to swap to the 3.33, get one size smaller belt, and have the tune adjusted. My tuner also just got a brand new 224 dyno jet so it would be nice to see what the car would really put down. His old dyno read the lowest in the area. He has both dyno's now so I told him to test a car on both and see what the % difference is.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Good deal not bad on those numbers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts