Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
We used to have a few KB drivers on the forum but they haven't been on for a long time. We use to post a lot a dyno sheets and compare track performance. Of the four names that I kept in my records two no longer show up as members and the other two last visited in 2011 and 2015. I'm sure there are a couple of others out there. Maybe one will see this thread.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Ok. I'm just curious on a failsafe setup. This water/ meth makes me nervous.
if you are running watermeth as an additional safety precaution, tune the car as you normally would, then add the water meth without additional tuning. that way the car is setup to run 93 and be happy, but the water meth acts as a just in case to assist in preventing lean conditions.

if tuned for water meth, you will make more power but lose any sort of dampening the water meth provides... and then the car will be tuned more aggressively.. so god forbid it does run lean.. your motor is finished.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As Snorky said, tune it without OR possibly tune it with a second IAT sensor input and it retards timing as the temp goes up.

I’m not even sure if we can add an extra input to our PCM....

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've sprayed hundreds of gallons through a non-intercooled PD blower setup (though not a KB).

Does the KB setup have an IAT sensor downstream of the boost? If not, then there's not really any way to have a "fail-safe" setup. The only way to do it correctly (without lots of other expensive electronics and sensors) is to use the IATs to modify the timing tables in the tune. Tune it without the water/meth to get the baseline timing correct, then spray it and increase the timing using the ACT modifier tables (leaving the borderline knock alone) depending on how much the IATs decrease from it.

Any other method of tuning water/meth is either unsafe, or not making any more power (probably less).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I run 100% meth on my car... KB 2.1 at 20+lbs of boost. I run an 16GPH nozzle and tune for the meth. KB does have a downstream IAT sensor but I dont pull any timing until i see IAT over 150 degrees... I ran that way for years. I have a J&S safeguard on my car though which makes all the difference in tuning. I've been running this build for along time now lol.

I wouldnt suggest running water/meth through a KB. I just run straight meth. I could get into why but I dont have the time to explain it all right now. I've been putting down north of 600rwhp with this build for along time though.

I would suggest you go with Alky Control for your meth kit setup. I've seen alot of meth kits and his by far is the best built out there. AIS isnt bad either if you do the upgrades, Devils own has some decent stuff too. None of it is as well built as Alky Control though and non of them have the experience Julio does.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I run 100% meth on my car... KB 2.1 at 20+lbs of boost. I run an 16GPH nozzle and tune for the meth. KB does have a downstream IAT sensor but I dont pull any timing until i see IAT over 150 degrees... I ran that way for years. I have a J&S safeguard on my car though which makes all the difference in tuning. I've been running this build for along time now lol.

I wouldnt suggest running water/meth through a KB. I just run straight meth. I could get into why but I dont have the time to explain it all right now. I've been putting down north of 600rwhp with this build for along time though.

I would suggest you go with Alky Control for your meth kit setup. I've seen alot of meth kits and his by far is the best built out there. AIS isnt bad either if you do the upgrades, Devils own has some decent stuff too. None of it is as well built as Alky Control though and non of them have the experience Julio does.
you're still here?? where did you disappear to?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm gonna be at 15 lbs. From what I understand it needs the water meth just to be safe. I ordered the snow failsafe to dump boost if the water meth isn't flowing correctly. Just wasn't 100% on how to run my vacuum lines to make it work. I talked to snow yesterday and they made sense of it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks a lot guys. I already have a snow stage 3 installed. I'm running a 50/50 mix. I Do have a failsafe setup coming from snow. It has an inline sensor that if the mix doesn't move when it's supposed to, it'll dump boost

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kenne bell is actually the one that told me that I either had to do e85, race fuel, or water meth. It makes me very nervous. I guess I feel better now with the failsafe. They actually told me that anything over 10 lbs I needed it. I ran 11 for years on a stock bottom end so I know that isn't accurate

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
for 15 psi through a 2.1? lol....no you dont. They will help make power and resist detonation as well as cool combustion temps, but definitely not needed at your level.

Take this fwiw, but i was running 20 psi through a 2.2 on 93 with no meth just fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you're still here?? where did you disappear to?
I dont come around much lately. I got a divorce, met a new woman. Have been spending alot more with her that I used to spend in the garage hiding from my now ex wife. lmao.

Life is good. I've got the bug to get my KB Mustang back on the road... Car runs great but wont pass CA smog by any means. Gotta pull the motor down, get smoged then put it back together. This is normally when I hone, rering, change the bottom end bearings, polish the crank and rock on for a couple more years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts