Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on my bbk longtubed, and off road x pipe, so now im looking for a supercharger. I was looking at the kenne bell blowzilla unit's. Does any body here have any experience with these blowers?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have asked around quite a bit and the consensus that I have seen is that with pushrod 5.0 it's best to go with a centrifugal type supercharger especially if stroked. With a pure stock engine I think the KB would be a better choice personally because it provides instant boost/torque.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
With a kenne belle you would need a pretty well thought out heads cam intake and some cool conditions to get near or crack 400 hp. Most vortechs will put a stock car near 300 with a 5 speed and with a crappy hci near or above 430rwhp.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yeah i would just go with a Vortech or another Centrifugal charger. Kenne Bell's are cool but with your already high gear and the fact that you already have an upper and lower intake ( you would have to chance intakes for the Kenne Bell to Mount ) I would just listen to these guys and try out another supercharger. Not to mention it could even save ya a little money, depending on what kit you go with.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why I love this place. So just pick up some good heads, cam, and a vortech. I know everyone says switch to mass air, but I want to see how much I can get out of speed density. What vortech kit would be best for a stock bottom 5.0

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
One dude that I met that had a KB changed his gears from a 3.55 to a 3.08 because he said 'the blower likes to work harder'. That's all the info I have, so if his theory is true, it would blow goats with your gears. Other than that, on a stock setup, daily driver without much if at all drag time, it's a great blower. Predictable power.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
This is more of a question then an answer. dont the Kenny bell superchargers only work with either the stock lower, or gt40 lower intake ? If so i wouldn't be interested in them just for that reason. Second, although Ive never used a roots style supercharger, I'm not a fan of them, there to big, Ive heard they get heat soaked quicker and cant spin as high as a centrifugal supercharger, unless i have my information wrong

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never had a supercharged car before, so I'm in the dark. All I know is I don't want to change my gears. I was checking out the vortech, kenne bell, and paxton blowers. So far I'm leaning towards the vortech.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing, my goal isn't for any certain power level. I want a daily driven 11 second car. I don't care if it's an 11.99.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is more of a question then an answer. dont the Kenny bell superchargers only work with either the stock lower, or gt40 lower intake ? If so i wouldn't be interested in them just for that reason. Second, although Ive never used a roots style supercharger, I'm not a fan of them, there to big, Ive heard they get heat soaked quicker and cant spin as high as a centrifugal supercharger, unless i have my information wrong
I have heard the same thing. They are a beast down low but can't keep up with a high reving motor. At least not the 5.0 offering.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
KB's only use the stock or gt40 lowers, Ryan is correct. If you had a properly ported gt40 lower, I would rock one on a DD. I wouldn't hope for huge numbers at the track though, unless it was an autocross track. The KB has it's plus's against the centrifugals, but also has it's minus's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've never had a supercharged car before, so I'm in the dark. All I know is I don't want to change my gears. I was checking out the vortech, kenne bell, and paxton blowers. So far I'm leaning towards the vortech.
Pretty sure it would be undriveable with 4.10 gear (kb that is)s. I'm looking at a novi2000 for mine.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Speed density is fine with boost, but keep in mind it will not run with a cam in it. I think comp cams made a speed density specific cam, which one, i don't know. If you are interested in a doing heads if your on a budget get gt40 irons, new valvesprings, stock cam. Keep your intake. Your exhaust and gears are fine as is. With some suspension and some tire it should do 11's easy as ****.

Ever ran the car as is?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never ran the car. Usually dont have time. And i'm not on a budget per say, I just cant spend more then 3k every 2 weeks. Unless I catch a real good stage job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man I work my ass off. I usally work about 110 hours a week. I'm a wire line engineer in the oilfields. I get to play with explosives everyday. So my wife lets me spend my job bonus checks on parts.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Kenne bell blowers are cool. I would get that for the street. Get the flowzilla inlet though. All the centrifugals are awesome too but imo more for the track. Unless you go with an s trim, novi 1200, or p1sc

1 - 20 of 64 Posts