Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Kenne Bell 2.1L SC and new engine at the same time. I'm trying to stay out of boost while I break in the engine, so I decided to use the 'valet mode' feature and adjust the set screw to lock the bypass valve.

The set screw is a tiny hex key screw (with no head) that has to be backed out to fit into a hole on the bypass valve bracket and lock it open. Problem is, after I drove for a bit, I found that the bypass valve unlocked. Looks like the screw is so loose that it vibrates down and the valve becomes unlocked.

Shouldn't there be something that tightens to lock it open, rather than a screw that gets loose? Am I doing this right? Maybe I could get a cap head screw that I can tighten down from the top?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I dont have a SC'er, but, it sounds like something you could maybe add a little bit of weak thread lock on. There are multiple strengths, blue, red, ect. Find the weakest and add just a little? it should stop it from moving so freely. You could also probably use some teflon tape... adds some resistance.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Loctite 222 Threadlocker (purple) = adjustable
Loctite 242 Threadlocker (blue) = removable
Loctite 262 Threadlocker (red) = permanent
Loctite 290 Threadlocker (green) = penetrating

·
Registered
349 Posts
Keep in mind it is possible to drive the car all day and not see boost. If you watch your boost gauge you will find there is a pretty generous margin of partial throttle that will not generate boost. Most of the time, just driving around you can stay out of it and still have decent acceleration and use all the gears if you don't take off fast.

Havent used the valet lock yet, sorry-

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Keep in mind it is possible to drive the car all day and not see boost. If you watch your boost gauge you will find there is a pretty generous margin of partial throttle that will not generate boost. Most of the time, just driving around you can stay out of it and still have decent acceleration and use all the gears if you don't take off fast.

Havent used the valet lock yet, sorry-
+1...never used it either. As stated above, its pretty easy to keep it out of boost in normal driving...

·
Registered
904 Posts
i havent used mine either. when i broke in my engine i just stayed out of boost, you can do a lot of driving without going into boost

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. I don't have the boost gauge installed yet, but I can definately tell when I'm not making any boost pressure.

Just wanted to be able to gradually increase the throttle without the boost first, but I can make it work.

·
Registered
349 Posts
In theory, you can run the engine into high RPMs w/out boosting. Think of it as a slow acceleration at part throttle and let it wind up there on it's own as much as you need for your break-in. Just keep the foot out of it and avoid matting the pedal.

The boost gauge will definately help you here.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Im thinking any questions on a Kenne Bell would be gladly answered by The Kenne Bell people. I Am also getting a Kenne Bell, and Believe me, any questions I have will be directed ONLY to the Kenne Bell Techs....

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Im thinking any questions on a Kenne Bell would be gladly answered by The Kenne Bell people. I Am also getting a Kenne Bell, and Believe me, any questions I have will be directed ONLY to the Kenne Bell Techs....
:lmao Good luck.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
+1 ...good luck with that...KB makes an excellent product but their customer service sucks ass lol

+1 on being able to stay out of boost pretty easily

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
If you can get a hold of one of their 3 employees, youre the man...Be pepared to call 1000 times before you get to talk to anyone, or you can ask people on here...I thought thats what this section was for.:eek:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I said " ....any questions 'I' have...."

I was stating what "I" would do.

I have called Kenne Bell to ask questions on my upcoming purchase and have always gotten thru.

And Yeah, thats what this section is for, to ask questions. Just be sure to sort out the 100 different answers you get...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well I did call Kenne Bell, got through after a couple tries. The tech said "you should only need to back the screw out a few turns and that will hold the bypass valve without the screw coming loose"

I tried this again, only backing the screw out a bit, and the thing didn't hold after some driving.

I pulled the factory hex key set scew, got a 4mm x 10mm Hex head screw from the hardware store, and tightened it down from the top. Problem solved. I think Kenne Bell would have done it this way from the factory, but they wanted a screw that wouldn't have to be removed from the vehicle completely for normal operation. Oh well, I guess most people never have the need for the valet mode.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts