Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Obviously each one has it's advantages/disadvantages.

I think the Kenne Bell 2.2L Blowzilla is out, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it before I put it up for sale (I'd like to get $2,000-$2,500 for it if I sell it -- it's probably missing $500-$1000 in parts -- it's sat in my house for 5 years -- it's had oil and never been run, so it's fine).

I have a 302 2v stroker motor in it from livernois (rotating assembly, we built the short block using my stock block that was honed and tweaked at a machine shop) that's rated to 1,000 HP, with 8:5:1 and patriot stage 3 heads (also had some work done to them just to be safe), and VT Stage III supercharger cams. I've got the FORE precision fuel hat w/ dual gt40 pumps going into my cobra tank, along with the lethal performance dual fpdm wiring harness, upgraded fuel lines (8 an), aeromotive fuel filter and high flow fuel rails. They will be equipped with 80 lb injectors. I've got MMR's billet oil pump (have heard horror stories.. so that concerns me a bit -- though I do have an oil pressure gauge), mezier electric water pump, centerforce dual friction clutch, 9" ford rear end w/ 4.10 gears, and a full roll cage... this thing's gonna be BUILT.

I want this thing to be a 60-130 car. Road racer. Not a drag car. It's not the best platform for that, but I want to do something different. If it can beat a stock GT-R pretty handily in the 60-130 territory, I'll be pretty happy (shouldn't be too hard, my GT-R is geared more aggressively and doesn't pull as hard once it hits 90).

Kenne Bell 2.2

My concern is that the Kenne Bell will make too much torque and power to be useable low end, cause heat issues, interfere with my aftermarket fuel rails, and not make enough top end power once I'm up to speed (90+ mph). On 91 pump gas, I'm not sure I will really make beyond 550 whp. The benefit is it would be pretty cheap to get running (missing the intercooler itself (not pump), some hoses, some bolts, a crank pulley, and that's about it).

Turbo

It's expensive. Probably around $8,000-$9,000 after all is said and done for a Hellion 67mm twin turbo kit. Gotta run oil lines... need new headers.... and they are difficult to tune in comparison to a super charger. But it provides the most power.

Paxton Novi 2000

I'm kind of leaning this route because the Novi 2000 supports over 900 horse power with the right pulley. Has anyone seen this thing make 800+ rwhp on 91 pump gas? People's concerns with this blower are the lack of low end torque. Considering my motor setup... I'm not thinking that will be an issue -- stock intake with my engine I made 307 rwhp / 315 rwtq. Pretty good numbers for all motor. I also have 4.10 gears.

Suspension

I'm putting on Maximum Motorsports full grip kit that's ~$4600, with Brembo 6 piston brakes. Will be running Goodyear Eagle F1 325's on the rear. So I'm hoping that I'll be able to hook up decently from a dig with whatever I go with, and just EAT stuff from 60-130.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i dont think your going to hit 800 on 91 pump gas only and i really dont think a novi 2k will make 800 hp out of your motor unless you over turn the blower quite a bit. your better off going with a f1r. its an expensive blower but it has lots of advantages for high hp setups. for road race the kb is deff not a good blower cause it will heat soak like crazy. btw for that much power i would deff invest alot of money in a glens performance gas tank and return fuel system.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
You already said it. The Turbo makes the most power. You can hook with a turbo witch is in your goals, and it will be the least detrimental to your engine.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
if your looking to road race i would swap over to a 03-04 cobra irs with a full tilt bush kit, and a irs brace tons cheaper and just as good, if not better than a watts link or ta and phb combo. also your asking alot with little info. not sure on why you would want 800+ hp with a road race car but its your choice, you will need alot more than eagle f1's to hold you down.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My fuel system will hold me until 750 rwhp. I'm planning on switching to triple gt40 pumps to support up to 1000 rwhp with ~121 lb injectors at that point. We don't need to go to a return style setup anymore with our cars unless we're talking 1000+ rwhp. I simply won't get near that number, nor would my shortblock hold up.

The F1R requires an oil tap doesn't it? I don't think those are self contained (the race motors). That thing won't be driveable on the street, either. Paxton advertises over 900 horse power at 26 lb of boost. I see people online are commonly hitting 500 rwhp with a built short block and stock top half @ 12-14 PSI. What do you think I will get close to with pump gas (91) at 20+ PSI? Don't want to go too high because of belt slippage. Think I should run a 100 shot on top?

I've provided a lot of information, or at least I thought I did. What else should I provide?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if your looking to road race i would swap over to a 03-04 cobra irs with a full tilt bush kit, and a irs brace tons cheaper and just as good, if not better than a watts link or ta and phb combo. also your asking alot with little info. not sure on why you would want 800+ hp with a road race car but its your choice, you will need alot more than eagle f1's to hold you down.
Why wouldn't I want 800+ horse power on a car designed for top end power? That power becomes less realized at higher speeds. My goal is to keep the low end power under control so I'm not losing traction completely through every gear. I guess I don't mind if it doesn't hit 800 -- that's the eventual goal, but I'd like a system that's capable of doing it and let's me start out slowly into it -- which the Paxton appeared to advertise it could do. Turbo would too, for sure, but is a lot more complicated and expensive.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
for road racing setup you will be on the gas constantly so spinning 20# threw a f1r will make way less heat and more power than a novi 2k. and prochargers f1 blower is self contained.

·
Registered
72 Posts
First I would disregard the Irs comment. The straight axle done right is plenty for a the road and weighs less. for a road race I would definitely go with a big single turbo. And also check into running E85 as an alternative fuel because its higher octane and also you can run a good amount more boost.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The F1R seems pretty awesome besides the oil tap? Would that still allow me to keep some traction down low unlike the KB?

·
Banned
97 Posts
you want 800hp to street race to only 130mph from a 60....
you're wasting a lot of money
regardless turbo > all
especially for a supra roll car like that there

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First I would disregard the Irs comment. The straight axle done right is plenty for a the road and weighs less. for a road race I would definitely go with a big single turbo. And also check into running E85 as an alternative fuel because its higher octane and also you can run a good amount more boost.
If I went turbo I would def. be running E85.

I second the rear end. It doesn't matter - I've already got a built ford 9" coming.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you want 800hp to street race to only 130mph from a 60....
you're wasting a lot of money
regardless turbo > all
especially for a supra roll car like that there
We're all "wasting" money by modifying our cars.

I'm not saying the turbo isn't the best in terms of power and capabilities. But it's drastically more expensive and complicated to work with.

Is the F1R self contained, as well? I thought their race ones (hence, the 'R') were not. Could be wrong. Hope I am :) Saw some ones online making 700 rwhp @ 14 PSI on pump gas. Turbo car still THAT much better at 800 rwhp than an F1R at 800 rwhp? I'm not going to go far over that for the risk of my short block exploding.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
also consider a t56 magnum for a trans, it will hold alot more power and work better in a road race app. with only 91 in your area nitrous is not the answer, i would run e-85 if you got it, or put a 3 gallon baffled tank in your trunk and spray meth to move your octane up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also consider a t56 magnum for a trans, it will hold alot more power and work better in a road race app. with only 91 in your area nitrous is not the answer, i would run e-85 if you got it, or put a 3 gallon baffled tank in your trunk and spray meth to move your octane up.
I've got the battery in the back for meth up front and a T-56 viper transmission. Meth does scare me though. Originally that section was going to be for an intercooler reservoir.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
wow this is a funny thread...no you wont make 800 with a novi 2000 sorry..the most i have seen a novi 2000 do on a 2v is 700rwhp..

no a return style setup is better even under 1000+rwhp

and to run 60-130 your going to want a turbo but since you already have the kb i say slap it on and go enjoy it..

no you wont reach your power goal with any of the power adders on pump gas period..

·
Banned
97 Posts
We're all "wasting" money by modifying our cars.

I'm not saying the turbo isn't the best in terms of power and capabilities. But it's drastically more expensive and complicated to work with.

Is the F1R self contained, as well? I thought their race ones (hence, the 'R') were not. Could be wrong. Hope I am :) Saw some ones online making 700 rwhp @ 14 PSI on pump gas. Turbo car still THAT much better at 800 rwhp than an F1R at 800 rwhp? I'm not going to go far over that for the risk of my short block exploding.
no, but for the purpose you want it for yes.
I've thrown easily about $15k in a build I' am finishing now. but thats for a car that will hopefully finish the 1/4 at 155+mph and on the street clear clean 1L bikes from 40-160
a 60 to 135 car? Thats not even a street race, then 800hp to do so? an 800hp car with a t56 will easily pull to 160 in 4th with the right rear gear.

If you're considering an F1R s/c then clearly you're uncertain on how easy a turbo system works and how efficient it is. plus a turbo kit will probably be nearing the same price as throwing an f1 on your GT.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
be easier to reach your goal with a turbo though...and can be had wit ha good turbo for less than 8k..since your doing the intall yourself..

·
Banned
97 Posts
wow this is a funny thread...no you wont make 800 with a novi 2000 sorry..the most i have seen a novi 2000 do on a 2v is 700rwhp..

no a return style setup is better even under 1000+rwhp

and to run 60-130 your going to want a turbo but since you already have the kb i say slap it on and go enjoy it..

no you wont reach your power goal with any of the power adders on pump gas period..
THIS:yes

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
no, but for the purpose you want it for yes.
I've thrown easily about $15k in a build I' am finishing now. but thats for a car that will hopefully finish the 1/4 at 155+mph and on the street clear clean 1L bikes from 40-160
a 60 to 135 car? Thats not even a street race, then 800hp to do so? an 800hp car with a t56 will easily pull to 160 in 4th with the right rear gear.

If you're considering an F1R s/c then clearly you're uncertain on how easy a turbo system works and how efficient it is. plus a turbo kit will probably be nearing the same price as throwing an f1 on your GT.
not gonna trapp 155 with a 74mm:p

1 - 20 of 89 Posts