Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a kennebell supercharger, and the company recomends 9psi, whitch is around 450whp. But since i'm looking for 480-500whp, i ordered the 11psi. im wondering if anybody else is running 11psi to see if i can reache those numbers and if it'll still be safe for the stock motor?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a procharger p-1sc and im at 9lbs right now pushing 460rwhp. I was told anything more and i chance blowin somethin in the motor. thats why im in the process of replacing the stock internals and putting forged pistons so i could turn the boost up to 15lbs. So i think you'll be really pushin the limit.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
IMO where you enter the danger zone is about 470rwhp. You should be safe with 460-470 witha a great tune.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
your KB will come with its own tune and unless you have a tuner you know and trust the tune they send is pretty good... if you told them all your mods they do a good job setting it up.... I haven't had any issues at all with mine but I am staying at 9psi for now and after I get a little use out of my stock internals I will upgrade and get the bigger pully... I dynoed at 455rwhp and I am still trying to get that to hook up... Good Luck and its good to get another KB up in here.... we are the minority... did you get the chrome?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
its all in the tune guys. you can go past 450+ HP on stock internals, but your tune has to be conservative. i remember a while back when the KB kits first came out their tunes were mild and people were blowing motors and bottom ends less that 450HP. I'm sure they've corrected it up to today, but get the tune looked at before you go putting the pedal to the metal on the streets.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I also think it is good to get the tune looked at,just to make sure a/f is correct and so on.My air fuel was a bit of but i had it corrected by a kb dealer here in va since then the car is more responsive,smoother in a nut shell it was worthit.Some guys have no problems but i do beleive no two cars are the same.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
its all in the tune guys. you can go past 450+ HP on stock internals, but your tune has to be conservative. i remember a while back when the KB kits first came out their tunes were mild and people were blowing motors and bottom ends less that 450HP. I'm sure they've corrected it up to today, but get the tune looked at before you go putting the pedal to the metal on the streets.
:withhomo

·
Registered
451 Posts
11 psi can really hurt the stock internals. there are other superchargers out there that will give you lots of horsepower and not so much psi.

·
Registered
85 Posts
11 psi can really hurt the stock internals. there are other superchargers out there that will give you lots of horsepower and not so much psi.
Unless I'm mistaken, PSI is irrelevant. The resulting power/torque and related inertial loads are what's going to do engine damage.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
+1 he' s right ^^^

·
August 08 ROTM
865 Posts
Right now I am running the stock KB tune on an 8lb pulley. I have the 10lb pulley but I won't put it on until it is dynoed tuned. Will have tune set more conservative as I don't want to buy a new block just yet!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
orangemonster,
Welcome to the site,

1.What kind of dyno will you be using to "MEASURE" the rwhp?
2.Are you planning on using the Kenne Bell Tune or get a custom tune?
3.Do you have money saved to possibly buy another motor?
4.What other supporting mods do you have?(headers,gears,exhaust)

The reason I am asking is as follows:
1. A dyno only measures the output to the wheels and can be skewed by calibration, a Dynojet is industry standard and usually reads higher numbers than a Mustangdyne, Dynodynamics, or others.
2.The KB tune is close but leaves a lot on the table. I put 470 rwhp on 9 psi. on a Mustangdyne Dyno which would be around 515 on a Dynojet. A custom tune will be needed to save the motor and don't get wrapped up in numbers because all you will do is blow it up trying to reach them. Worry about the driveability and what it runs at the track.
3.The stock motor on some cars has held up fine with 10+ psi. but most will let go below that. I wouldn't increase the rev limiter and never run the car over 6000 rpm or you will be getting a new motor alot sooner than you want. A custom tune can make that hp with out any issues with 11 psi. but it isn't guaranteed it will live for long at that level. I would worry about the motor more than a number.
4.With headers and exhaust you can make more hp at a given boost level so that might be something else you want to look into.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the replies , i actually picked up the car last night from the shop, and took it out for a ride. the car has fidanza flyweel and clutch,steeda shifter+drive shaft, upr upper and lower control arms, and ford racing suspension. its freezing cold out here so i had to try the car on the freeway on 4th gear. it read 15psi boost at 6000 rpm. called kb ,they send the wrong size . got to take it slow till i get the wright pulley.
I don't want to blow the motor after all it only has 1500 miles, but i want to run mid to low 11s which is possible whith the 11.5psi whipple charger at around 470hp and there a lot of them at the track here, and none of them blew out yet.

·
August 08 ROTM
865 Posts
thanks for the replies , i actually picked up the car last night from the shop, and took it out for a ride. the car has fidanza flyweel and clutch,steeda shifter+drive shaft, upr upper and lower control arms, and ford racing suspension. its freezing cold out here so i had to try the car on the freeway on 4th gear. it read 15psi boost at 6000 rpm. called kb ,they send the wrong size . got to take it slow till i get the wright pulley.
I don't want to blow the motor after all it only has 1500 miles, but i want to run mid to low 11s which is possible whith the 11.5psi whipple charger at around 470hp and there a lot of them at the track here, and none of them blew out yet.
Are you sure KB sent you the wrong size? Did you measure the pulley? What brand gauges are you running? Are you running the Vacuum/Boost? Vacuum should be running at about 18 just driving around. When Erin and I first took my car out after the install with the 6lb pulley running, the autometer gauge was pegging at like 15 or 16psi when you got on it and vacuum was at like 8 just cruising! We called KB and James said maybe it was a bad guage. After a few more runs around the block, the gauges started to come around. I don't know if this is your problem or not but give it a few more runs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im also using autometer's cobalt line. the pulley i got on is 3.5 inchs, which kb claimed to be 12.5psi. ialso have 3.75 inch pulley whitch is supposed to be 9 psi but i'm not shure.
kb is sending me another pulley for 10-10.5psi.
WHAT IS THE SIZE OF YOUR PULLEY. since u seem to have 6,8and 10psi pulley, can u please mesure them and let me know.
and when your running the 8psi pulley, do u see 8 psi from 2000 rpm on or do u only get that at 5500-6000 rpm

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The boost and pulley size are as follows for 2.6l "S" intercooled cars:
4"- 8psi.
3 3/4"- 10psi
3 1/2"- 12psi
3 1/4"- 14psi
3"- 16psi
2 3/4"- 18psi
2 1/2"- 20psi

For odd numbers add 1/8" to the pulley: