Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the middle of my motor swap and my key is stuck. I don't Have the original engine and trans anymore so is there some sort of safety feature not as allowing me to remove the key? There isno battery in the car either. Car is an auto and shifter is in park despite not being hooked to the trans. Any clues here are is it just a coincidence that the key cylinder failed. Thanks

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
turn the steering wheel L/R kinda wiggle it, my v6 does that too

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shaft isn't even attached to the steering rack. Could that be the issue? I attempted to turn and wiggle anyway with no luck, thanks

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
jerk the wheel a little bit while pressing on the key release switch

or pull the shifter in and out of park a couple times

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried my car has no release switch and yes it will go from where it is all the way forwards to the crank position. It isn't coming back far enough to pull it out though

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
I tried my car has no release switch and yes it will go from where it is all the way forwards to the crank position. It isn't coming back far enough to pull it out though
im prettys sure all the new edge cars have key release switches, nevermind looks like just the manuals that do

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I have that cable but the shifter is all the way forward. Can the cable be bypassed

·
Registered
129 Posts
you would probably have to bypass it at the steering wheel. or you might beable to lock the cable in place to where its not engaged. but im not sure how these cars r set up. i ran into the same problem on a sebring and the linkage holding that cable was broken and i had to push the cable to release the key.

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
bang on the key. like forcing it into the ignition. sometimes the lock cylinders get stuck and you have to knock them loose. it happened in my dodge about once a week. i banged on it a few times and it would come out

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will beat the **** out of it tomorrow....I would really like to bypass the cable if anyone knows how it works

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I did my manual swap, I just unhooked that cable from the shifter when I took the shifter out and it's never had a stuck key. Just try unhooking it from the shifter.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I unhooked the cable and th that didn't work, tried wiggling the cable with no luck either. Who do you remove the cylinder?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts