Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured this might be worthy of a thread. Got into it a little in another thread though.

Can some random company just make parts that "fit" Ford cars without Ford's permission? If I understand patents correctly, you can get around a patent by being different enough, from the original patent. Is that what's going on with a lot of these chinese companies that sell on ebay, and to a lot of the "resto" companies out there?

Just something that's been on my mind I guess. I need a better understanding of where these parts come from and all the differences that they're going to have from original Ford brand parts. Cause I don't think I've ever bought a part that fit, other than an original ford or GM part. I mean when it comes to body and interior and such. Hell even some engine parts you can tell aren't quite right.

You know what they always say on Powerblock tv. Universal fit means it universally won't fit until modified. Often times, yes the modification will fix fitment problem. At the expense of what you were going for in the first place. Is this how shady companies are trying to get around having to pay the OEMs money? Cause you would think that if they were given permission to reproduce the part, that it would fit perfectly. After all, why wouldn't it? They have nothing to fear from the automaker legally since they were given permission.

·
MM's Resident Male Nurse
1,314 Posts
Hmmm... good question... I'm not sure, but I think your thinking is correct... hence the generally crappy fitment on most knock offs.

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
As I understand it patents run out after some time. That's why 2012 cars are hard to get replacement parts for unless its from the dealer. Where as a 2010 model much more is offered in the way of replacement/repair parts.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
2012 specific parts are hard to find because there is not a demand for them. Companies are not going to put R&D into a an electric power steering pump for the 2012/13 Focus and put in a bulk order for them when they are just going to sit idle in a warehouse. No one needs one because they are covered by at least a 3 year 36K miles warranty, there are some totaled cars that have been stripped that can meet what little demand there may be until then. Depending on how well the car model sold, how often it fails, how many different models and years that part fits, and the specific nature of the part, there may never be a good aftermarket for it. Now.. if that same exact pump fits various 2008-2013+ Fusion, Fiesta, Mustang and Taurus as well, you will most definitely see it at Autozone. I have a Ford with a CVT transmission that was only used in two different Ford cars and only from 2005-2007. No parts are available for it except some that Ford still has in stock. No aftermarket company and very few national transmissions shops are going to have support for it because it is just not worth it to them. It's not really a scam and Ford trying to hold up the the aftermarket sales, it is supply and demand.

As for the Restoration places? Most of them are in touch with their community, they know what replacement parts are out there and who supplies them. They also know what enthusiasts ask for and may contract out to have specific parts made for them to sell because they know they can sell enough of them to make their investment back. The quality of that part will vary. That enthusiast market is very car specific though. Fox body 1/4 windows, battle boxes, and ashtrays are a good example of that in action. You won't find those at Autozone or Rockauto but resto places and specialty shops have them.

I have never specifically had problems with aftermarket repair parts not fitting but I haven't got them from ebay either. Maybe a reman failed here and there a little quick but it did fit. What are you buying other than exhaust pieces that just doesn't work or fit?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I bought those clear blinkers off of ebay for my 94. I bought the Depo brand cobra style headlights and I needed something that matched. Depo is an OEM supplier for a few automakers. The blinkers didn't fit even a little bit. The gap between the headlight and the blinker was 3/4" wide lol.

BUT i was able to salvage it by removing certain... seemingly unnecessary metal and plastic bolts that were there for... who knows what. Well After I did that, almost as if by magic the parts fit perfectly. Close enough to perfect anyway. So that got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, that's what they want you to do. And if Ford tries to sue over licensing then they can say something like "Nuh uh! Look ours has all these little bolts and screws and it doesn't even fit like yours!"

... unless you take that stuff out before you install it lol. But of course they won't mention that. Ford might, but then they'll just reply that you're not supposed to do that and it would void their warranty and blah blah insert lie here.

So that's just one example. Another example is my 87 chevy silverado. One of the most popular trucks on the road during its time. And as we all know the 73-87 chevy trucks have a HUGE following. Huge. And of course as they age, its only going to get bigger. Well I've been through no less than 4 separate dash options for that thing. The factory one cracked like all GM products' dashes do, so I set out looking to make it better. Ordered one from JCwhitney that was nothing but a huge blob of sagging, heavy, ugly useless urethane. So I tried the coverlay option. Didn't fit right. After installing, the trim didn't fit right either. So now I'm onto the next one. A closer reproduction, which is actually vinyl over foam like the stock one was. But even it has its flaws. I'm going to have to make my own aluminum trim for it. And even then it still doesn't snug up against the A-pillar like I want it to. There may be something I can do to get that to close up, something involving vinyl. I'll just have to see. I know, I know, welcome to hotrodding. It would just be nice if these companies backed up some of their claims. Or hell, just tell you about it. Just let you know a little bit of something before you buy. Instead of "Replaces cracked or faded orginal dash. Vinyl over foam like original."

But this is just... random examples of pretty much ALL my experiences with aftermarket. The only thing I've ever had fit right, came out of the junkyard. So I just thought I'd try to get a better understanding of where all this stuff comes from and who lets who make what.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts