Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2004 Camry. Its been making a knocking noise whenever I accelerate and some times when turning or shifting gears. Its Automatic. Both front axles are new, and just replaced passengers ball joint thinking it was that. It still makes the noise. It sounds like it coming from the front end. Under or in front of the console. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If you feel comfortable doing so and have someone to help you that you can trust, get it on jackstands so the front wheels are off the ground. Set the parking brake. Block the back tires behind and in front of one side for added safety. Start the engine and crawl under it (dont forget the safety goggles) and take a listen as your helper accelerates, slowly. Have them turn the wheel to see if the noises changes at all. Change gears. Dont get hit by the tires, obviously. Just listen for the knock. Dont go poking around around with the engine running.

Sometimes crawling underneath helps track down things down. Its either do this at home or pay a shop to put it on a lift. Whichever you feel more comfortable with.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Found your other thread.

Hi, I have a 2004 Camry.
Its been making a knocking noise whenever I accelerate and some times when turning or shifting gears. Its Automatic.
Both front axles are new, and just replaced passengers ball joint thinking it was that. It still makes the noise. It sounds like it coming from the front end. Under or in front of the console. Any suggestions?
Same deal. Put it on jackstands. Crawl under it with the engine off and feel around under the floor for anything loose or rubbing, like the exhaust, or a metal line that may be hitting the floor. If you know where the engine/transmission mounts are, check those areas as well.

It could very well be the transmission, but it never hurts to check the rest of it out. Helps one become more familiar with their vehicle, which i always recommend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts