Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides a compression test what other tricks I can do so that i can see the history of my motor i.e. knowing if it is going to blow up soon or throw a rod?!?!

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Your car wont blown up or throw a rod from wear, thats caused by excess power. Keep it under 400 and you wont have to worry. Over time your bearings can wear out and/or spin but the only way to really check for that is to pull everythin apart. If you want you engine to last make sure you change your oil and filter regularly and make sure all fluids and filters and clean.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good info thanks looks like i will be doing a compression test, and when I do I will be checking the spark plugs!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Your car wont blown up or throw a rod from wear, thats caused by excess power. Keep it under 400 and you wont have to worry. Over time your bearings can wear out and/or spin but the only way to really check for that is to pull everythin apart. If you want you engine to last make sure you change your oil and filter regularly and make sure all fluids and filters and clean.
Not entirely true. A stock car can definitely throw a rod. Its just a matter of care and age. I know a few people with stock cars that after too many miles and poor care threw a rod. All it takes to throw a rod is bad lubrication on the wrist pin and the joint the freeze. Then the the piston stops moving in the sleeve and the rod snaps off.

In general its unlikely, and aside from a compression test and the oil pressure and temperature, its hard to be sure. In general, high mileage engines are weaker. The parts have been taking a beating for a long time, everything wears out eventually. Just be smart about it, a well kept motor at 100k miles will still be in decent shape, but a 50k mile motor that has been drag raced every one of the miles, will die really soon no matter what you do to it.

A good mechanic can tell if your cams show signs of over reaving or heat. your plugs will tell you how clean the motor is and how rich or lean its running. Oil pressure guages and temp guages will tell you how clean the coolant and oil passages are. And a leak down test will tell you how good the compression and seals are. If you need more info than that your just being anal. And the only way to get it is to dissassemble.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Not entirely true. A stock car can definitely throw a rod. Its just a matter of care and age. I know a few people with stock cars that after too many miles and poor care threw a rod. All it takes to throw a rod is bad lubrication on the wrist pin and the joint the freeze. Then the the piston stops moving in the sleeve and the rod snaps off.

In general its unlikely, and aside from a compression test and the oil pressure and temperature, its hard to be sure. In general, high mileage engines are weaker. The parts have been taking a beating for a long time, everything wears out eventually. Just be smart about it, a well kept motor at 100k miles will still be in decent shape, but a 50k mile motor that has been drag raced every one of the miles, will die really soon no matter what you do to it.

A good mechanic can tell if your cams show signs of over reaving or heat. your plugs will tell you how clean the motor is and how rich or lean its running. Oil pressure guages and temp guages will tell you how clean the coolant and oil passages are. And a leak down test will tell you how good the compression and seals are. If you need more info than that your just being anal. And the only way to get it is to dissassemble.
:yes....and like he said if youre gonna be that anal about things buy a new car not used.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
thats a good way to test it pepper....i think i'm going to try that on my wifes focus and see how much life is left in it..:)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well my cams make a light clicking sound and my father says that is due to high reving and so I'm sure that the previouse owner banged on it pretty hard, but for the past 40k I have taken pretty good care of her. I just want to know for sure whats going on inside beecause I dont have the money/time to take her apart so... ill just do a comprssion test. About the plugs what is the color I should be looking for if they are black then oil is getting on my plugs right and if they are really white then I am running lean???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts