Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after going through all the stuff for my steering wheel shake at 75-80mph. 07Boss suggested I look into my struts being changed out since I have exhausted a lot of other areas. Car is an 07GT and has just under 89k miles on original shocks/struts. It see's 99% street use so I don't need to go adjustable's or anything like coilover's.

I am looking at the Koni Orange's, which I have read a lot of reviews on, and the ST Suspension shocks/struts. Car will be getting Ford Racing P-springs along with them.

Anyone have experience with the ST stuff? I don't mind waiting until the Koni sale goes on again, if ST is not worth it, since it is off DD duty now and will see maybe 20 miles a week until Spring.

·
7,909 Posts
After having run with a set of Ford Racings progressive rate springs, given they were a K spring and not the P, the ride was pretty harsh for something that was supposed to allow a comfort ride with some handling added.

After about three years of dealing with that and the popping and wore out J&M camber plates I went with the following parts and part numbers from BMR. The ride was phenomenal. I went again with Koni STR.T and loved the ride, the difference from the BMR handling springs and the FRPP K springs was night and day. The BMR springs had a much better ride and were more predictable when getting aggressive.

Part # Product Price Qty Total
SP065 2005 - 2014 Mustang GT Lowering springs, set of 4, 1.5" drop, handling, GT
$259.95

KON-M0510-OR 2005 - 2010 Mustang GT Koni Shocks, Front 8750-1030, Rear 8250-1008, Set of 4
$439.60

M-18183-C 2005 - 2014 Mustang GT GT500 Upper Strut Mounts, Pair
$109.95

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After having run with a set of Ford Racings progressive rate springs, given they were a K spring and not the P, the ride was pretty harsh for something that was supposed to allow a comfort ride with some handling added.

After about three years of dealing with that and the popping and wore out J&M camber plates I went with the following parts and part numbers from BMR. The ride was phenomenal. I went again with Koni STR.T and loved the ride, the difference from the BMR handling springs and the FRPP K springs was night and day. The BMR springs had a much better ride and were more predictable when getting aggressive.
So the J&M camber plates are a no go? That is what I was planning to order for the strut mounts.

I guess since no one is chiming in with ST reviews I will stick with the Koni orange's.

·
7,909 Posts
So the J&M camber plates are a no go? That is what I was planning to order for the strut mounts.

I guess since no one is chiming in with ST reviews I will stick with the Koni orange's.
My J&M plates failed within the first year, made a horrible noise over bumps and I couldn't keep them tight to the strut.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. So the Gt500 mounts will be fine even with them having no adjustment for a DD? I wouldn't be opposed to buying the MM plates if they were worth the price.

·
7,909 Posts
Okay. So the Gt500 mounts will be fine even with them having no adjustment for a DD? I wouldn't be opposed to buying the MM plates if they were worth the price.
I don't have experience with the MM plates but even without adjustment I still had about -1 to -1.2 degrees of camber in the front which is about where I wanted it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Konis are the way to go IMO.They perform well for street cars and you can't get better than a lifetime warranty. As far as I know, ST doesn't offer a warranty like that.

The GT500 mounts will also work with the P springs, you shouldn't need any camber adjustment with such a mild drop. If it's not in spec, just rotate the mounts 180* and that should bring it in.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Konis are the way to go IMO.They perform well for street cars and you can't get better than a lifetime warranty. As far as I know, ST doesn't offer a warranty like that.

The GT500 mounts will also work with the P springs, you shouldn't need any camber adjustment with such a mild drop. If it's not in spec, just rotate the mounts 180* and that should bring it in.
If the Ford Racing Springs are more harsh then I will be going with y'alls that are listed above. The half inch lower drop I will live with if they are a nicer riding spring. I take a few non paved roads when I drive the car and don't want to add a lot of harshness with the Ford Racing springs.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
I'm probably going to buy a set of Koni STR.T's this winter. My factory stuff has almost 90K on it and I think I have a bad strut mount anyway so I'm just gonna swap it all out.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm probably going to buy a set of Koni STR.T's this winter. My factory stuff has almost 90K on it and I think I have a bad strut mount anyway so I'm just gonna swap it all out.
I feel ya on the mileage. I've managed not to mod this thing since I bought it new and be a responsible adult. Now that it is off of DD duty, and my house down payment is already set aside, I am gonna splurge on it a little bit and install over the Winter or Spring once I get it all bought.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The SP009s are definitely a better riding spring than the Ford Racing P-springs. Our springs are a good bit softer compared to the P-springs and they're linear. On really bumpy roads, those P-springs are going to stiffen up quite a bit.

·
7,909 Posts
The SP009s are definitely a better riding spring than the Ford Racing P-springs. Our springs are a good bit softer compared to the P-springs and they're linear. On really bumpy roads, those P-springs are going to stiffen up quite a bit.
I can vouch for for the way the progressive rate springs ride over bumpy terrain, not good.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sells me on the BMR one's for sure. This state has enough bad roads even when they are paved. The last thing I want is to be annoyed driving the car.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
If the ride is that good I might pick up some BMR springs myself. I have the P springs and I agree, the ride is pretty crappy.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
So after going through all the stuff for my steering wheel shake at 75-80mph. 07Boss suggested I look into my struts being changed out since I have exhausted a lot of other areas. Car is an 07GT and has just under 89k miles on original shocks/struts. It see's 99% street use so I don't need to go adjustable's or anything like coilover's.

I am looking at the Koni Orange's, which I have read a lot of reviews on, and the ST Suspension shocks/struts. Car will be getting Ford Racing P-springs along with them.

Anyone have experience with the ST stuff? I don't mind waiting until the Koni sale goes on again, if ST is not worth it, since it is off DD duty now and will see maybe 20 miles a week until Spring.
I would have them checked before replacing them. If there are no visible leaks or other apparent defects I would have them tested on a shock dyno to see if they are within spec. I suggested it as we are running out of options diagnosing your issue. Just swapping them out is a reach in the dark. And can be expensive if that's not the issue.

Anyways, I have a set of used Bilsteins sitting in the garage. I kinda promised to sell them to this guy at the track but I won't see him until first weekend in December. But I might be persuaded to sell them if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would have them checked before replacing them. If there are no visible leaks or other apparent defects I would have them tested on a shock dyno to see if they are within spec. I suggested it as we are running out of options diagnosing your issue. Just swapping them out is a reach in the dark. And can be expensive if that's not the issue.

Anyways, I have a set of used Bilsteins sitting in the garage. I kinda promised to sell them to this guy at the track but I won't see him until first weekend in December. But I might be persuaded to sell them if you are interested.
I didn't update this week but I replaced the struts with a friends used set he found he still had after he lowered his car, and replaced the bad tire at the same time. Problem is gone now. I assume you were right with the struts since rotating the tires didn't help before changing those.

I will pass on the Bilstein's since my Christmas gift from the girlfriend is the Koni struts and shocks. I really appreciate it though. Since the car is off of daily duty I am gonna make it a nice little cruiser and finally be able to enjoy it on weekends after daily driving a Honda Fit.

·
Backbone
353 Posts
Chiming in here a little late. I run the STR.Ts with K-Springs, and have no complaints about the ride. A little expectation management goes a long way. I think if youre prepared for some ride stiffness then you wont be disappointed. If you want a really comfortable ride then lowering the car will always bring some frustrations from time to time.

I used the gt500 mounts. I dont have any noises or suspension issues. I think it rides great and handles great.

I still have some body roll, but I attribute it to needing some better sway bars, a STB, and some better control arms/control arm brace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts