Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after this weekends experience I am going to be upgrading the shocks and struts very soon. With that being said I have a couple questions about these shocks/struts before I pull the trigger.

1. Will these struts work well at the stock ride height (using stock springs)?
2. The car jumps around a lot right now when cornering and going over bumps, which is driving me nuts and recently freaking scary. Would these help in the very least with keeping the rear end planted around bumpy corners? The stock shocks just don't seem to want to keep the rear end planted very well anymore when going over bumps.
3. Would the stock front strut mounts work with these and the stock springs? Or will I have to upgrade?

I have absolutely no plans on lowering the car in the near future, so the car will remain at the stock ride height using the stock springs. Oh yes, and this is my DD so I don't really want the ride to be too harsh but I want it to be a bit firmer then it is stock. The car never sees the track, other then a couple times a year at the drag strip. So, I am trying to keep this thing as streetable as possible.

Now, I am a complete noob at this whole shock/strut thing so any help/advise would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
1. Yes
2. They will help considerably, however I would take a good look at your front suspension if you're having that big of an issue
3. Yes the stock mounts will work, but good luck removing them without losing the ball bearings. Even if you do, they will clunk, because they are awful. It's best to switch over to the GT500 mounts.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. They will help considerably, however I would take a good look at your front suspension if you're having that big of an issue
The front of the car stays nice and planted its the rear that hops up and shifts over every time I hit a bump going around a corner at speed. It used to be OK, but it seems to be getting worst going around the same corners. I know that some of the problem is the stock Pirelli's, but that is going to be fixed in a couple months. I just need the rear end to stay on the ground when hitting bumps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can't tell for sure from your description but it sounds like you have an issue with wheel hop, which is extremely prevalent in these cars. A set of rear lower control arms will help with that.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Which he has...............I would try the shocks out and if that doesnt do it then look else where.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am just going to go ahead and get the GT500 strut mount upgrade while I'm doing this.

With having the Shaker 1000 system, are the subs and amps going to be in the way of getting at the rear upper mount on that side of the car? Also, will a full alignment be needed after the install of the shocks/struts? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get as much info as possible before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I dont believe that the Shaker wil be in the way. The GT500 mounts will work. Anytime that you take the front suspension apart, you should get an alignment. Why not get a set of small lowering springs while your at it. H&R makes some that lower the car .75 of an inch and would help tighten things up.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I dont believe that the Shaker wil be in the way. The GT500 mounts will work. Anytime that you take the front suspension apart, you should get an alignment. Why not get a set of small lowering springs while your at it. H&R makes some that lower the car .75 of an inch and would help tighten things up.
^Hes right, drop that thing alittle, you will love the look.. When these cars get lowered they look right, they look like they should.. They don't look all lowriderish....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
A stiffer rear spring will also help keep the rear end stay planted since the springs will be a lil stiffer.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, thats some food for thought. The main thing that is keeping me from getting lowering springs is the nasty speed bumps on my way to the office and the mogul courses this city passes for roads.

Those H&R springs are sparking some interest thats for sure.

All my problems would be solved if I made more money :p ...... :(.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts