Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
This video was moving as hell. I just ordered the Action Kit and ordered 25 posters to plaster charleston with on April 20th.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Reddit says it's a scam. Did not watch all the way nor read about why it's a scam.

The KONY 2012 Campaign is a Fraud. : WTF

Nigerian prince wins again :dunno

I could be wrong, I could be right. Still not paying.
It's a scam the same way all charities are a scam: they spend more on advertising and raising awareness than they do on ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING. Out of something like 8.9 million that they raised, they sent 2.5 to Uganda where most of it was gobbled up by the corrupt government and some may have even ended up in Kony's hands. Charities are worse than governments at distributing money to the needy or getting things done.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
why not kill him
i dont understand why more people would have to die to catch him
KILL this man
I'm siding with this too. I think it would be much easier to just take him out quickly then find and arrest him. All that's really gonna accomplish is take a few years and a lot of money to kill him in the end anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
It's a scam the same way all charities are a scam: they spend more on advertising and raising awareness than they do on ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING. Out of something like 8.9 million that they raised, they sent 2.5 to Uganda where most of it was gobbled up by the corrupt government and some may have even ended up in Kony's hands. Charities are worse than governments at distributing money to the needy or getting things done.
I agree with you whole-heartedly, but in this particular case I'm glad all they're doing is making videos rather than supporting corrupt governments.

Not to mention Northern Uganda is more peaceful now than it has been in a few decades. Kony's not even in Uganda as far as we know, and hasn't been since what, 2006?

This bandwagon bullshit really pisses me off though. Its worse than all the political bullshit people post on their facebook/twitter etc... that they haven't researched one bit.

·
5,502 Posts
I'm siding with this too. I think it would be much easier to just take him out quickly then find and arrest him. All that's really gonna accomplish is take a few years and a lot of money to kill him in the end anyway.
You're talking about a religious nut with a band of followers who think he's doing God's work. Killing him makes him a martyr and his followers are likely to just escalate the madness. Arresting him and forcing him to turn in his own people to save his own skin humanizes him and makes it less likely people will be up in arms about using brutality to stop brutality.

That's my armchair psychologist/ sociologist take on the matter.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If you'd watch the video youd know were not going to war with them. The US sent 100 ADVISORS over to help train and coordinate the police/military already in place to track down and capture kony.
sorry i didnt watch the video i was just going by what people on fb were saying. if i have time later ill watch it

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Yeah hang some posters! SUCK IT BITCH THAT'LL LEARN YA

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
So this is news? Has nobody ever heard of child soldiers in Africa prior to this video? For real??? And it isn't just one warlord either, and it's not just a handful. These ****ers dominate third world countries.

Jesus Christ, if only people spent as much time keeping up with and studying current events as they do on Facebook... Imagine the ****ing possibilities.

·
Cornholed Manthusiast
3,985 Posts
So this is news? Has nobody ever heard of child soldiers in Africa prior to this video? For real??? And it isn't just one warlord either, and it's not just a handful. These ****ers dominate third world countries.

Jesus Christ, if only people spent as much time keeping up with and studying current events as they do on Facebook... Imagine the ****ing possibilities.
This. It shocked me how shocked people were. Welcome to like 2005. Snowball effect on facebook is unreal

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Jesus it's amazing the people buying into this... This is the world's biggest scam of our decade beyond our government bailouts. 30% of the money they raised went to Uganda's governemnt which is proven to be corrupt themselves. Uganda's military rapes and steals from everyone they come in contact with for the most part. Some of the money has even landed it's way into Kony's hands. Guess where all of the other money has went!? Into the pockets of the "employees". Do I agree with Kony? **** NO. Do I think this is a scam? Yes. Do I think something should be done? Yes but not at our expense and someone's monetary gain. The people of Kony 2012 have already admitted that they have skewed the real information regarding Kony's actions in Uganda to the government to get them to pass the bill. It's been 5 years since he's even been in Northern Uganda.. This makes me sick that people are getting rich off of people's compassion.

·
5,502 Posts
Jesus it's amazing the people buying into this... This is the world's biggest scam of our decade beyond our government bailouts. 30% of the money they raised went to Uganda's governemnt which is proven to be corrupt themselves. Uganda's military rapes and steals from everyone they come in contact with for the most part. Some of the money has even landed it's way into Kony's hands. Guess where all of the other money has went!? Into the pockets of the "employees". Do I agree with Kony? **** NO. Do I think this is a scam? Yes. Do I think something should be done? Yes but not at our expense and someone's monetary gain. The people of Kony 2012 have already admitted that they have skewed the real information regarding Kony's actions in Uganda to the government to get them to pass the bill. It's been 5 years since he's even been in Northern Uganda.. This makes me sick that people are getting rich off of people's compassion.

I agree that this charity is a farce, but to be clear, that doesn't excuse in the slightest the fact that the guy is still a monster who needs to be eliminated from society.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Damn, this is exactly what I was going to write. I don't even have a problem with the financial statements of this organization, I think they have completely misidentified the problem in the region.

Anyone going to question NastyFX4's facts? Read these articles first:
Ever wonder how noble and upright the Uganda army is? Here are some first-hand detailed accounts:
www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/uganda0905.pdf

Ever wonder what the real problem is? Throwing money at the problem seems to help:

www.cato.org/pubs/fpbriefs/fpb88.pdf

·
MM's most Hated
738 Posts
Why Foreign Aid Is Hurting Africa - WSJ.com

Waist of time. If you kill him another will take his place. We will not intervene because the majority of people will have the same views as they had in 93 when went into somalia. The problem lays in that their countries are goverened by certain tribes that came to power way back.

ex. Muslim Janjuweed in sudan vs SLM in sudan.
Ex. hutu's vs tootsie's In rwanda

Theirs to much political connections that the average people dont know about on why foreign intervention wont occur.

Ex of this is genocide in Sudan. UN requires foreign intervention if genocide is occuring. Well China has Oil intrest in sudan and I believe if I remember correctly own a pipeline going through the country hence why the U.S Stayed out and only now states in fact genocide occured (Which if you know of SUDAN, It was obvious back in 2003). Same as Uganda, other countries have stakes in their resources and will veto intervention. While all this is going on your money will be given to corrupt african Ploliticians.

Child soldiers are nothing new, read up and enlightin yourself. LRA are no different then Farc. Nepal is no different then Lebanon.

Its sad that child soldiers are used but it is not only Uganda.
Military use of children - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
you know last night i thought this was an amazing thing, bought into it pretty good. granted i had a few drinks but still.

Ive been thinking about it on and off all day, as well as seeing just how popular this got in 24 hours. the only thing i can come up with is, WHAT THE **** WILL THIS DO? the whole point is to get people to buy posters, shirts, aid kits, whatever to make kony more popular. whats being the popular kid in school gonna do? all this is accomplishing is bringing something thats been happening for years to the light of social media. with tons of people buying it hook line and sinker. my self included for a short time(i didnt buy a damn thing, just liked it)

I guess this just proves what a skilled cinematographer/journalist/activist can do in a 30 minute video. Now yes, everything that kony is doing is terrible, it needs to be stopped, and one day it will be. But just making this guy popular isnt gonna do much.

Hell take a look at osama bin laden. he killed thousands of americans, on a much more public stage. Everyone knew he was behind it, we had our entire government searching for the guy. I would say that made him pretty damn popular, and he didnt have a large activist group with a well made internet video behind the search for him. He got popular without people putting up signs on every street corner, and throwing gobs of money at a charity. AND IT STILL TOOK 10 YEARS TO FIND AND KILL HIM.

Just what in the **** is a bunch of activist civilians on facebook going to accomplish.

I agree that this is a scam. Buy our **** first! then after you purchase these posters, call a congressman and tell him to have our government keep looking for this guy. but make sure you purchase our ****, and throw your money at us first. I can guarantee the majority of the people behind supporting this, and buying their stuff, never followed through with the most important part of their plan. CONTACT A CONGRESSMAN. buying a poster doesnt do jack **** if the people who are behind keeping the support in africa never hear from you.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts