Modded Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
101FNG IS MY MASTER! I LOVE HIM 4EVER!
10,946 Posts
Psht even I knew about child soldiers in Africa and I spend my days watching teen mom or say yes to the dress. I'm worried about the younger generation.

Sent from not home.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
When i think about it I still think it makes since, America (though sometimes i dont know why) is envied by other nations, by making this fella "famous" he cant go anywhere without countries recognizing him and opposing him. Many wars fought on american soil were won just because of the hassle that an opposing force created. Its worth a shot, its nice to feel like your part of something bigger than yourself, participating in a national movement. I agree with twinmill (.....damn...never thought i would say that) that using children as soldiers is happening in other places but but somewhere along the line Kony was deemed the worst offender for this, maybe he has used more child soldiers than anyone else idk but the way it was presented has moved alot of people into taking action. worse case scenario i spent 43.00, signed a petition, and wrote a congressman that this guy is a dick....and to lower taxes......

in the end were all left wondering one thing...where did twinmill's rep go?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
This is a tough issue for me. I feel very bad for the situation in Africa without question. I think its great that people are coming together to try and stop the evil.

Having said that, 15 years ago I used to deliver WIC for a living in Detroit and Toledo. I will spare 99 of my stories and make 1 brief. On my route in a very bad part of town, I knocked on a door and announced myself "WIC Man" as usuall. An adult voice said "GO AWAY ****ER" from behind the door. It angered me because I needed a signature for the milk and formula and I couldnt just leave it. I knocked again and the door opened slightly being held by a chain lock from the inside. Just past the adult, I could see a young boy about age 4 or 5 lying on a rug bleeding from his ear where he had obviously been struck by something. I passed the papers through the door to the adult. He signed them and then said..." not a word mother ****er". He was basically telling me to not report him to child services like the law demanded I do in these situations.

One of my biggest regrets in life was not filing a report. I went the pussy route and did not file. I did it because I had to deliver to that house the following week and I couldnt put myself in harms way with children of my own....and I couldnt just quit the job because I needed to support my family. Bottom line, I did nothing and to this day I dont know if the kid ever had a chance at life when I had a chance to change it. So regrettable.

I wish all this energy and passion would be put to work HERE in america first. Not all abuses are covered in the news....thats what we say to ourselves to make us feel warm and fuzzy. There is nasty **** happening here everyday. Greed, physical abuse, neglect etc. We need to use our resources to fix "home" first and then we would be more powerfull to use our influence elseware.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is a tough issue for me. I feel very bad for the situation in Africa without question. I think its great that people are coming together to try and stop the evil.

Having said that, 15 years ago I used to deliver WIC for a living in Detroit and Toledo. I will spare 99 of my stories and make 1 brief. On my route in a very bad part of town, I knocked on a door and announced myself "WIC Man" as usuall. An adult voice said "GO AWAY ****ER" from behind the door. It angered me because I needed a signature for the milk and formula and I couldnt just leave it. I knocked again and the door opened slightly being held by a chain lock from the inside. Just past the adult, I could see a young boy about age 4 or 5 lying on a rug bleeding from his ear where he had obviously been struck by something. I passed the papers through the door to the adult. He signed them and then said..." not a word mother ****er". He was basically telling me to not report him to child services like the law demanded I do in these situations.

One of my biggest regrets in life was not filing a report. I went the pussy route and did not file. I did it because I had to deliver to that house the following week and I couldnt put myself in harms way with children of my own....and I couldnt just quit the job because I needed to support my family. Bottom line, I did nothing and to this day I dont know if the kid ever had a chance at life when I had a chance to change it. So regrettable.

I wish all this energy and passion would be put to work HERE in america first. Not all abuses are covered in the news....thats what we say to ourselves to make us feel warm and fuzzy. There is nasty **** happening here everyday. Greed, physical abuse, neglect etc. We need to use our resources to fix "home" first and then we would be more powerfull to use our influence elseware.
This, people are always so gung ho to fix everywhere else, and they neglect to give mention to the fact that there is some horid stuff in our own country. How can we go somewhere else to help them fix things like sex trafficking, child abuse and starvation, when these things are prominent in our own country? Hypocritical much?

·
Banned
10,319 Posts
Just posted this on my facebook:

instead of dedicating this post to Kony 2012, I'm going to dedicate it to the hundreds of thousands of civilians killed by US bombings in Iraq as well as all of our men and women in uniform.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Invisible Children is a great program and is doing a lot to help rebuild war torn Uganda and parts of Africa. My old high school is the 2nd biggest donator to Invisible Children and I have seen countless presentations on this subject and I have talked to several of the people in the film. As far as our governments responsibility to fix this, as always I think we need to stay out of foreign affairs and not get into another armed conflict. We are not the world police and we don't have unlimited funds to help everyone out. We need to use our own resources to rebuild our broken country.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Back in the day here at MM we used to ban together toward alot of causes. The site still might do that but I dont come around enough. We have come together to help certain members financially and had big impacts on their lives. I actually ran into a bad situation years ago and MM banned together and helped me in an incredible way. I returned the favor 10 fold. This is the way its done. It gives me an awesome feeling to contribute to our own...maybe Im selfish because of that but I dont care. We have done countless projects to help. I wish we did more locally as a group at MM. I mean, it would be great to get all the people from here in a specific region to "make a drive" for a cause. Im sure if the cause was right we could get 50 MMer's together in the Tampa Bay area to donate food, give a scholarship or something creative. Power is in numbers and MM has traditionally been an incredibly "generous" group of great people. We really need to do more locally. Besides, it would be cool to see 50 Mustangs in one spot all from MM with a good cause at hand.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
This is bs anyway. The issue is real but has long since been over. The issues in Africa have been looming for decades . This douche does not deserve a second of time . He has no power.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
When i think about it I still think it makes since, America (though sometimes i dont know why) is envied by other nations, by making this fella "famous" he cant go anywhere without countries recognizing him and opposing him. Many wars fought on american soil were won just because of the hassle that an opposing force created. Its worth a shot, its nice to feel like your part of something bigger than yourself, participating in a national movement. I agree with twinmill (.....damn...never thought i would say that) that using children as soldiers is happening in other places but but somewhere along the line Kony was deemed the worst offender for this, maybe he has used more child soldiers than anyone else idk but the way it was presented has moved alot of people into taking action. worse case scenario i spent 43.00, signed a petition, and wrote a congressman that this guy is a dick....and to lower taxes......

in the end were all left wondering one thing...where did twinmill's rep go?
hell even kevin pereira donated to them...and after doing my own online research i have no issues with Invisible Children

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
It's going to be kind of funny when he goes to jail or lands some super fines from the IRS... A storm is a brewing.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
bump. I think this thread should be seen. But as I see it, U.S citizens are trying to make this guy famous "known" so the U.S government can handle it. We were already involved by helping them but so as kony knew U.S is involved he hides. But with the director with a BIG heart has to realize it might take U.S soldiers lives maybe citizens if they actually get physically involved. Theres a price to pay to help others.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
:cliffs i dont give enough of a **** to watch the 30 minute video.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
This guy is taking 70% of the donations to pay for his and his staff's salaries... Of course he needs to make money but if the estimates I've seen are correct it's just nothing short of greed and a theft on people's compassion. There have been plenty of people doing great things for Uganda for a while now and they aren't greedy about it at all.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
This guy is taking 70% of the donations to pay for his and his staff's salaries... Of course he needs to make money but if the estimates I've seen are correct it's just nothing short of greed and a theft on people's compassion. There have been plenty of people doing great things for Uganda for a while now and they aren't greedy about it at all.
You're right about this, check out their financials:
Invisible Children - Financials
I actually don't mind so much about this on Invisible Children's part - while a very young dude doing charity work making 80k is a bit ridiculous (IMO), their primary goal as an organization is to raise awareness, which they have done a tremendous job of. For that I give them credit, for everything else they do, the "problems" they identify and the solutions they suggest, I disagree with completely.

The misrepresentation of the facts is pretty big. Remember, they are asking for military action to track down Joseph Kony. THEY ARE PROMOTING VIOLENCE for those that don't see it. While violence is sometimes needed, this is the last thing this region needs. The peak of fighting was in 2005-2006, and since then Kony has been run off into the jungle with his tail behind his legs and his numbers have dwindled significantly thanks to peace talks. The Northern Uganda area is seeing more peace than it has in decades, but Invisible Children doesn't want you to know that, and here is proof: Check out LRA Crisis Tracker | Invisible Children + Resolve cool, right? But why the heck doesn't it go back past 2009? Because they don't want you to know that the violence has dropped significantly.

What Invisible Children intends to do is instigate military action to find Joseph Kony. Guess what - they don't know where he is. Can you take a guess what this operation would result in? You guessed it- more child conscription, rape, displaced citizens, murder, etc...

Invisible Children's plan of action will result in the very things they are trying to prevent, and this is only one reason why I do not support them.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
"Russell is also described as a Christian and father to two children who wants to have nine more children with his wife he calls his 'best friend for over 23 years.'"

Wait, what? Nine more children? Did he talk this over with his wife?

I'm sorry. I just don't believe that it was medical issues. He was most likely taken to the psych ward, and not actually treated for the things the CEO listed. I can't really believe anything that comes from that man's mouth. He's exploiting a huge issue in Africa just so he can get travel money and pay for his camera equipment.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts