Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ford has chosen the LA Auto Show to debut its significantly more powerful 2011 Mustang V6. In fact, the new 3.7-liter V6 engine, which replaces the larger and older 4.0-liter mill makes almost as much power as the 2010 Mustang GT. Power is now rated at 305-hp, up 95 ponies from 210! Torque is up too, by 40 ticks to 280 ft-lbs. Full power comes on at 6500 rpm with full torque at 4250 rpm. Plus, Ford says the new engine will deliver 19/30 mpg (city/highway) with a six-speed automatic or 18/29 mpg with a six-speed manual. Yup, finally a six-speed for the Mustang.

And as though all this we're good enough, the all-aluminum block weighs less than the old 4.0-liter engine.

To achieve all these improvements, the motor uses Ford's Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT). Essentially, this is the same engine that Ford first used in the Lincoln MKS.

Perhaps most importantly, however, is the fact that this new engine trumps that found in the new Camaro – by 1-hp. That certainly isn't much, but by being able to make the claim is certain to help Ford win back some sales from Chevy. And in Ford's smaller and lighter package, performance will no doubt put the Mustang ahead of the Camaro.

Ford is expected to announce the return of the 5.0-liter Mustang GT, with 400-plus horsepower, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

More: LA 2009: First Live Photos of New 305-HP 2011 Ford Mustang on AutoGuide.com

For more coverage of the 2009 LA Auto Show visit AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
706 Posts
They did not change anything in the rear. ( but dual exhaust on the 6) Guess we will just have live with it as the new power trains make it worth over looking.

·
Registered
128 Posts
finally the sixer is a performer... i bet these things modded will be sick around a track! :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why didn't they put the SHO 6 in the Mustang? Since they redesigned the body of the 2005 sales have been dropping for Mustang.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Why didn't they put the SHO 6 in the Mustang? Since they redesigned the body of the 2005 sales have been dropping for Mustang.
Errr... been living under a rock? :) There's a new 5.0 coming out for 2011 that should start at over 400hp. That'll help. And if you want to know why the 3.5TT in the SHO isn't in the Mustang, look at the price of the SHO with the 3.5TT.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
If you think the sho is expensive due to the the engine, and now the car itself you need to quit posting in this thread lol. That is not the reason it did not make it into the base mustang.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If you think the sho is expensive due to the the engine, and now the car itself you need to quit posting in this thread lol. That is not the reason it did not make it into the base mustang.
I didn't say base. You should read more, most sources who've been asked why the engine wasn't offered in the Mustang cited cost.

On the other side of the coin, of all the people I've heard clamoring for the 3.5TT in the Mustang... they usually ask for it in place of the V8. Which is foolishness. Damn the turbo'd six and gimme an eight! :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Inline 6 with a turbo would be cool. We need the aussie engine!

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I didn't say that you said it would be in the base. In the mustang food chain if they were to put that engine in the car, where do you think it's place would be? Hmmm the bottome. It would be the the base model, replacing the n/a v6 car.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I didn't say that you said it would be in the base. In the mustang food chain if they were to put that engine in the car, where do you think it's place would be? Hmmm the bottome. It would be the the base model, replacing the n/a v6 car.
There was a lot of speculation, fear and worry that the 3.5TT would be in the GT back before Ford accidentally let slip the existence of the 5.0 Coyote a few months back. If they plopped a 375hp TT six out, how on earth could they market a 400+ hp v8?

There are hints floating around that there will still be a TT available for the Coyote down the road though.... My totally uneducated guess is an option pack through FRPP like they did with the superchargers.

·
Doctor of Jurisprudence
2,945 Posts
Salesman: blah blah blah 305-hp in a v6, 400+ in the V8!

Me: Wow that's pretty impressive. Let's take a look.

(*walks around car and sees hideous rear-end*)

Me: hmmm...thought they would have done something about that. I'll pass. Good day, Sir.

Salesman: But you could...

Me: I bid you GOOD DAY, SIR! :mad:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Im not a fan of the rear either and have not been from day 1. But this car will be one of the best Mustangs ever built. You have to look at the total package. Put a GT500 rear spoiler on it and it really helps. The power, 6spd, upgraded interior, tons of options, great handleing and better quality. Everyone cried about Ford and their p**** HP now they have manned up and will beat the competition. It not their fault us with pre 11's will have week a** cars unless heavily modded,turbo or blown. Ford has done what we have cried about for yrs now. Give FORD props they deserve. I know im trading my week ride in for an '11GT.

·
Doctor of Jurisprudence
2,945 Posts
Man, you already sound jealous.
"Jealous" is FAR from the word I would use to describe my emotions regarding the 2010+ generation. All in all, I like 'em. There are a few things that I like and a few things I don't. 1) don't like the new dash, I prefer the round vents in my '05, or the hood (just not a cowl fan) 2) do like the in-console connection for mp3 player and all of the extra interior mood lights. But I think the good outweighs the bad and could deal with it.

What I CAN'T deal with is the rear-end. That's what we call a "deal-breaker". It's like a really hot girl with the teeth of a meth addict. Everything is going great until you tell a joke and then OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOUR TEETH?! That's the same erection killing feeling I get when I see that hideous rear-end on the '10+ models. I was REALLY hoping that they were going to give that a nip/tuck along with the under hood mods. Too bad. :(

As soon as someone comes out with a decent aftermarket fascia, which everyone has failed at so far, THEN we'll talk. But until then, "jealous" is one emotion that cannot describe me. Perhaps you meant "apathetic", "disappointment", or "disdain"? :banghead

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
As soon as someone comes out with a decent aftermarket fascia, which everyone has failed at so far, THEN we'll talk. But until then, "jealous" is one emotion that cannot describe me. Perhaps you meant "apathetic", "disappointment", or "disdain"? :banghead
Naw, jealousy will hit the both of us after the 2011 GTs start hitting streets.

I've seen a fair amount of 2010's on the street and can't for the life of me remember the lower rear bumper. The rear taillights look awesome, especially at night, and when I see my car, it just looks old and dated now. :-(

I like the round vents on my dash as well, even if the rectangular ones are more "authentic." Life's a bitch, it never stops moving forward.

·
Doctor of Jurisprudence
2,945 Posts
Naw, jealousy will hit the both of us after the 2011 GTs start hitting streets.

I've seen a fair amount of 2010's on the street and can't for the life of me remember the lower rear bumper. The rear taillights look awesome, especially at night, and when I see my car, it just looks old and dated now. :-(

I like the round vents on my dash as well, even if the rectangular ones are more "authentic." Life's a bitch, it never stops moving forward.
AMEN to that brother.

I know somebody will come out with a new rear fascia at some point, but until then its just a waiting game. I do like the taillights though. I've got no beef with them. But even with my disappointment over the rear fascia, it will be hard to say no to a 5.0. Hell, as long as I don't have to drive behind me and stare at it right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts