Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont have a mustang. i have a panther body. which comes with the non pi modular 4.6 now assuming i managed to get my hands on a used 4v motor out of a mark 8 or a marauder along with the ecu for that motor. how much would the labor costs be to swap the engine and make it run? i know the 4v should bolt up to the 4r70. the motormounts should be the same, accessories same. etc. would the stock 2v wiring harness work with the 4v? if not what would need to be done to it to make it work? anyone had a shop do this swap before? would i still need to retune the ecu if i got the ecu from a car that already came with a 4v and the 4r trans? any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
979 Posts
From a wiring standpoint, I know you need to do a COP conversion for the ignition system to operate properly.

ECU side, if you swap ECU it will come with the PATS on that ECU, so at the very least you would need to disable pats on that ECU, otherwise you would need the key, cluster, etc. from the car the ECU came from...and I THINK you can get away with having a 4V tune loaded on the 2V ECU, which would be cheaper IMO.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
It depends on what year panther car this is as far as having cop’s. They all got them starting in 98, besides its not really necessary.

This is sort of a loaded question but Ill hit a few points. You do not need to swap ecu’s to run a 4v, you dont even need a tune but one would optimize gains from the swap. You may need to extend some wires and source fuel rails from another model depending on what year you have and what model the donor motor is coming out of. All pre 03 panther models have return style fuel systems so you will have to plan around that.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I did the swap.

Labor is hardly anything, assuming you get all the parts with the engine. You do the wiring harness mods, maybe some heater hoses, and maybe a throttle cable. Wiring harness was as simple as lengthening a few connectors and swapping the COP polarity. Piece of cake.

That's all assuming you swap from coil to coil or COP to COP. You'd have to make changes regardless if it's 2V or 4V.

Tune isn't mandatory but it helps. Mine actually ran on the 2V tables when they messed up the base tune. The IAC is the big difference, and you leave a lot of power on the table because 4Vs can run waaaaay more timing. And of course I kept the 2V PCM. Still running on it strong.

Basically if you get all the Marauder parts it's just some wiring mods and a tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts