Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I have a 2000 GT with minor mods done to it, and was wondering if I went to a larger MAF (90mm) and larger injectors (36lb) would hurt my engine. I only ask, because I dont have the power that the injectors are rated up to, but eventually will. Mods on the car are: CAI, 75mm TB, Trick Flow Upper plenum, Underdrive pullies, Long Tube headers, and Sniper tuner. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
Personally I'd keep the stock MAF and Injectors until you need to upgrade. Larger MAF and injectors may not perform as well at idle and part throttle. I actually just did the opposite. I removed my Vortech for an Si upgrade and put the stock MAF and 19lb injectors back in while NA. The idle quality and drivability improved significantly.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
It really depends on how long your tuner wants to mess with dialing in drive ability, idle, etc. In my opinion, if you don't need them right now don't put them in.

What kind of power are you looking to be at? 400rwhp will be OK for that combo. Over that you'll be getting close to pegging both if you're doing a power adder.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,578 Posts
Only upgrade fuel delivery when needed. You would probably be hurting yourself installing that stuff now.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
you have bolt ons. I wouldn't mess with fuel and MAF till you have a blower... (39# or greater injectors).. or heads/cams, and even with that 30# would be more than enough..

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
When I bought my ProCharger it came with a 3-year warranty. Around the 2 year 10 month point I shredded a belt and damaged a seal. I didn't realize how easy the front seal was to change at the time so I sent it to ProCharger to be repaired. They completely rebuilt the head unit but charged me $140 because damage to the front seal was not under warranty. They found pieces of belt embedded in the seal.

I drove the car 2-3 months without the supercharger while it was being repaired. The car was tuned for 42 pound injectors and a MAFia. All I did was put the air filter on the pipe that runs to the intercooler. It ran fine (just felt under powered). I didn't replace the injectors. I didn't take my MAFia off. And I didn't change the tune. You don't need to do any of that. Our cars run in vacuum most of the time even with a supercharger. There is no boost at idle or part throttle. Take the head unit off and they just run in vacuum all the time. If the car is tuned correctly it makes no difference.

2000s have 19 pound injectors. I think in 2001 Ford started putting in 21 pound injectors without changing the tune. CliffyK used to complain that it caused the car to run rich. He actually used the term "pig rich." You will just be wasting money if you change your injectors and MAF now because the car will have to be tuned for them. You can't just put them in an expect the car to run right. The best time to change them is when you put on the power adder that requires them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have full bolt ons and a Lightning maf and cobra 24lb injectors, I only upgraded because I have heads and cams on a shelf waiting to be installed, and I have free tunes for life from Bama.

That lightning maf and those 36 lb injectors would be fine NA for a little while if tuned, but you'd have to get another tune once you go FI anyways, so you'll be paying for a tune twice.

When picking the injectors it's always good to call your tuner and ask what brands they have the data for, I sold my accels and switched to the cobra injectors because I couldn't get a good tune from Bama for the accel injectors.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Keep the stock stuff and only upgrade when needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay in response, its been a hectic week.

Thank you for all the input, and im not going to change anything right now until I have to. Leaves more money for other things in the mean time!

Thanks again everyone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts