Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on removing lash adjusters? I installed them using the good old flat head screw driver trick when I replaced my cams but now i need to replace a couple that or tapping. I know there is a special tool but I've seen it somewhere that you can pop them off using a screw driver as well.

If all else fails I guess i could loosen the cam caps to get them off.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I have always used a screwdriver. Just make sure they're not depressed at all and add a little sideways/lateral pressure.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Just use a large flat head screwdriver. Just make sure for whatever adjuster you are working on, that the corresponding cam lobe is on the base circle so that you aren't putting undue stress on the rocker or the adjuster

·
Registered
594 Posts
If all else fails I guess i could loosen the cam caps to get them off.
Just loosening the caps is a fail. The camshaft will get cocked sideways in the bottom half of the bearing from the valvespring pressue pushing up on the camshaft. The screwdriver trick works, I used it but it made me nervous. I've heard a spring comprssor is the way to go.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Dammit. I believe that I have a few failing as well. It makes an ungodly chatter.

To the OP: How did the screw driver trick work?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dammit. I believe that I have a few failing as well. It makes an ungodly chatter.

To the OP: How did the screw driver trick work?
Finally got around to doing it on Saturday. Put the cam on the base circle and wedge the flat head between the lash adjuster and follower and then twist. They pop off just as easy as they go on.

2 of mine were completely dry of oil. I changed them all and now its quiet as can be.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Awesome. How long would you say it took? And where did you buy the new lashes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts