Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

At the risk of being yelled at, I am going to ask the following questions because I have not yet found the answers:

Knowing that I have a nearly complete 02 GT engine to pull parts from, does anything look like it's missing from this list? (Oil pan gasket is in there because mine is leaking)

And also, are these heads clean enough to be put on:

The majority of the head surface is smooth to the touch (and the minor imperfections are nowhere close to a hole). I'm really looking for people who've done this before- I can't afford to mess this up :(

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Those Combustion chambers should be cleaner IMO. But it looks like you have the parts good. WHile ur in there, I would think about a shorty header. YOu can bolt it to the head, and then put the head on.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've cleaned out the chambers on the head in that first pic a bit since it was taken, but I'm not worried about that- it's just going to get all crudded up after a few hundred miles driving anyway. What I'm primarily concerned about is the seal. I don't want leakage or blown head gaskets.

As far as shorties... I don't think they're worth the money. When this is done I'm going to sit tight for a while (at least that's the idea) and save up for a big transformation (built bottom, supercharger, etc.) at which point I will no longer be in California, and will be able to get longtubes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha yeah I've done the fingernail thing. The stuff I couldn't clean up with carb cleaner and a shop towell, I scrubbed off with my thumb nail. I have thick nails :p

·
Registered
994 Posts
damn i couldnt find the article online but it was from 03 issue of MM&FF called $1,500 race winner, and shows how to cheaply clean up heads with a drill and metal brush...i left that magazine at work but i'll keep searching for it on MM&FF

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
those gasket surfaces really need to be cleaned up, the combustion chamber is fine.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How would I go about cleaning them? Again they're smooth to the touch / nail. Looking down it there aren't any bumps. I've used a whole can of carb cleaner and some engine degreaser on them. What you see in the pictures are just lines- you can't feel them at all.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I use one of those and one of the pads you see laying there. Just use low rpm and keep it moving dont stay in 1 spot to long. Do not use a wire brush or sandpaper. That is aluminum and will mess up.

Try using a scotchbrite pad and some carb or brake parts cleaner. That pad I use is just a scotchbrite pad for a grinder.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scotchbrite pad hm? I'll pick one of those up tomorrow and give it a shot.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just found out my dad has one in our garage. Tomorrow I'll see if he has the right attachment. If not, we have a Costco pack of scotch brite kitchen sponges I have permission to destroy :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts