Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the mods in my sig line, what do the guru's say about launching the car? How about 2nd gear? Hold it 'till 6100 or short shift a little? Keep in mind , if it matters, that I'm currently on 20's (Nitto 555's).

I guess what I'm looking for is some specific hints. Like "do this, wait for this, you should be feeling this at this rpm/speed" ect.

Any and all input is appreciated guys.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
One thing your hp and tq numbers should be way higher than that. By about 100hp.

But you have 20's, a blower, and gears so you will get zero traction. The best advice I can give you is to slip the clutch in 1st from about 2000rpm, then feather the throttle in the rest of first and second, then you can mash it in third.

You best bet would be to take you stock wheels, if you still have them, and put some these or these on them.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have 20's with similar power.

I slip the clutch in first and short shift it. By the way, who tuned your car? You should be atleast 430rwhp

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
first do not pull through the water box, go onside of it and back into it,(if the front tires get wet then it carries the moisture to the line) do a good burnout, pull up to the line a stage, have the revs about 2300 rpm and when you see the 3rd yellow light let out the clutch(do not dump it because then you will bog the car and kill the 60' time) try slipping it and when the car gets moving let it all the way out and have it floored, (depending on the track prep shifting a redline will break the tires loose)
find out how the car leaves and adjust accordingly, little more rpm, do not slip the clutch so much,or more, shift points,ect......

if you are bouncing off the redline make sure to watch the belt tensioner, they tend to get bent when the rev limiter is hit

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Hey 05 kb charged in your sig it says you are going to have 400 hp soon, dont you have more than that already? Did you meen 500hp?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Hey, Interceptor, I know you probably know all these basic, but here's a little write-up I made on this subject. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. Anyways:

Manual transmission shifting help.

I'll pass along what I have learned over a few years.

Before 10 people say it after I post this, let me say as a warning that all these methods are for racing, not day to day driving, and yes, they are hard on your car. It's hard on the clutch, the transmission, the rear end, and the engine. And that's assuming you don't blow a shift, which can be catastrophic.

Launching.

Okay. The first thing in racing is the launch. This depends greatly on your car & how much power it makes, what gears you have, what tires you have, and how sticky the track is. Atmospheric conditions also play a part in how your car runs.

The best launch is one where there is no wheel spin. Wheel spin = less forward movement. Try dropping your clutch at 2000 rpm. If the engine bogs down, you need a higher rpm launch. If you light the tires up, you need a lower rpm launch. Work your way up and down in 100 rpm increments until you find your car's sweet spot.
Sometimes, particularly in cars with lots of power, or in cars with an open differential (non-posi), or on a shitty track surface, you find that no matter where you dump the clutch, you spin the tires too much. In this case, sometimes you have to sidestep, or slip the clutch on the launch. This means slowly letting the clutch out as you roll on to the throttle to launch as hard as you can but without spinning the tires.

Shifting.

The best result for racing is power shifting. It sounds easy in principle, but it takes concentration, as a blown shift can be disastrous, especially if you are running a car with no rev limiter.

To perform a power shift, you keep your right foot on the accelerator pedal during the shift. When it's time to shift, keep the accelerator wide open. With your left foot, you stab the clutch in one quick motion, down and up, moving the shifter to the next gear as your leg is descending & disengaging the clutch. The clutch is only disengaged for a split second, just enough for you to ram it in to the next gear.

How do you know at what rpm to make the power shift? Again, this depends on the car. The reason you power shift is the quicker shift helps keep the rpm up higher where the power is. So this is also a trial & error thing, and takes you getting to know your car. If you are driving a typical Mustang GT that makes it's peak horsepower around 5700 rpm, stab the clutch right at 5700 rpm. Pay attention. If you do it right, the rpm should jump up just shy of your rev limiter, and then when the clutch re-engages, your rpm will still be right where all the horsepower is. Sometimes you're better off making the shift a little sooner in the rpm range, sometimes a little higher. If you bounce it off the rev limiter, you've made the shift too late, or at too high an rpm. You have to work at it until you get the best result for your car.

p.s. breaking **** is cool. :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
good write up Zip :)

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
i like to break stuff..........too

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, only at 5psi now. The intercooler will hopefully be on towards the end of this month.

I'm gonna reveal my noob-ness here. I've never run on a track. What road surface most resembles your average track surface, so I can go and practice in a secluded spot.

The 20's are on the way out, to be replaced with 18's. Either the FR500's or some deep dish stock-type wheels. (in a pic thread there is a tight looking red GT with some I'm slobbering over) I will take advice on tires too...

I dug around through some other threads for parts to improve traction. What I got out of it so far was subframe connectors, a arms, and maybe a adj panhard bar. This right? Again, suggestions welcome.

Thanks so far guys. I'm listening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts