Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i was messing around in a parking lot and trying to figure out how the hell to launch. for the last couple of months ive always just Feathered out the clutch. From a dead stop i would never raise my RPMs or anything. I would just push the gas it about half way and then feather the clutch and keep adding power till i needed to shift. thats always worked for me. Then i also tried launching from 2000 RPM. I noticed i got a quicker Launch but a few seconds later my tires were still spinning a tad and then i put it into 2nd gear and they were still spinning but i could tell i was still moving forward quite quickly. I think by me raising my RPM to 2000 i had an overall quicker launch but i really cant tell. I had to go get gas so i had to stop.

So my question is what is the purpose of raising the rpm to 2000 or so? Wouldn't this cause you to go slower because it would create more wheel spin?

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
it creates more wheel spin although u wouldnt have this problem with some stickier tires. but the point of raising the rpms is the power is already there as soon as you let out the clutch so there is no delay as opposed to feathering it and stomping the gas pedal down halfway which you could hit to hard (ive done it before) and end up sitting there spinning and also the slight delay that comes from feathering the clutch out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
right now i jst barely raise my rpms, then feather out the clutch, then gun it, and my tires dont spin, they try to around 4-5k n first gear, u can feel em losin traction, and second gear they dont spin, i guess my falken tires aint too bad..

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ My tires are petty good on curves and such. i think they are good a launches too im just not doing something right.

Anyone know if i raise my RPM to 2000 i more then likely will still have to feather the clutch right?

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
with my stock tires on most street pavement i would launch between 2000-2500. with some good tires it should be a little more. if you have drag radials ive heard as long as you warm them up you can launch between 4000-5000 with similar results. just find you cars sweet spot for the street with your current tires. i have no advice to give about the track ive heard its much stickier.... my local track opens this friday.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
i launch at like 3k on nitto nt555r on the street... if you can launch out of your burn out you can launch higher.. like do your burn out and dont pull up... stay where you did your burn out to launch.. but at the track wit dr i can launch off the rev limiter....

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Let lil bit of air out of your tire. I see guys do that at the strip..dont know how bad it is on tires if it could potentially weakin your tire??

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Let lil bit of air out of your tire. I see guys do that at the strip..dont know how bad it is on tires if it could potentially weakin your tire??
I think that as long as you keep the underinflation on the drag strip and not on the interstate, you'll be fine. You're driving a 1/4 mile at a time at the drag strip. But this is true, because the less air you have in your tires, the wider of a contact patch you can form.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Ya gotta get the power to the ground through tires and suspension. A perfect drop is up to about 2k rpm at the green side slip the clutch and nail the gas, If it hooks your going down the 1320 in first class.
We spend a lot of money on making HP, not nearly enough hooking it up. I always start with my gears and suspension,then worry about the power issue. But that is years (30)of building talking here.

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
War Party, good advice, man. I was just talking about launching my car with slicks to my buddy, and that's pretty useful stuff. I just worry about breaking stuff with a launch!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good stuff. I have never taken the mustang to the track yet but i plan to this summer. i want to get out and try out your guys suggestions but it just snowed last night. going to have to wait a couple of days now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts