Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I getting myself into with this? Anyone have a walk-thru I can use? How tough is the job, any special tools required?

Thanks
Bryan

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If your car has seen any rain or snow, and has decent mileage just get a big ass hammer, breaker bar, and some muscle. Look on AM for instructions. Stuffs not rocket science

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Should take about 15-20mins including jacking it up

·
Registered
487 Posts
I did this my apartment complex parking lot, one day. Only thing I ran into was getting the rubber hanger off the exhaust so I could twist the pipes out of the way to access the front LCA bolt. Ended up cutting it off and spent all day finding someone who carried the right sized replacement. Ending at NAPA. Beyond that simple.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Should take about 15-20mins including jacking it up
Yes, it should be a quick and easy swap, putting it on jackstands then using the jack to release spring pressure etc. is straight-forward, taking the sway bar off is super easy. Problem I ran into:

The axle end bolts can sometimes get stuck in the rubber bushing. If you use a breaker bar to get the bolt side (facing towards the pumpkin) broke loose first, then try and get that to thread out through the bushing (leaving the nut stuck on the other side) you'll be in better shape than getting the nut off and trying to beat the bolt through from the back since the rear brakes give you no clearance to hammer.

Not much can go wrong, and you can also cut your springs or replace them while you're in there.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
The only thing I would add is to only loosen one side at a time, that way everything stays in place.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Unbolt the shocks and jack the car up until you can take the springs out, then put your axle on jack stands as well or have a jack hold the axle in place. Something to keep in mind, the rear axle is a lot easier to deal with if you have one controll arm off at a time. Hardest part will be taking the LCA bolts out from the frame, I had a hard time with mine because I couldnt take off or move my exhaust. While you are at it new bolts are probably a good idea.

·
Registered
149 Posts
biggest problem i had was getting the bolts out. they were rusted to the sleeve inside the bushing..

Reactions: brokenweasel
1 - 9 of 9 Posts