Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) since i purchased the car 9 months ago, ive had a small leak under the driver side dash from the firewall and collecting on my floor mat. its a bit greasy and not easy to clean without scrubbing the mats. any ideas what might cause this greasy watery leak?

2) temp guage doesnt seem to work properly anymore either. rotates 360 degrees throughout the day. tried just pushing back into place, but then moves out of place.. Any ideas?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Yes, do a search and you'll find countless threads on this. More than likely you're cabin air filter "enclosure" is clogged up. Pull the wiper cowl on the passenger side and you'll see your cabin air filter. Remove it and at the bottom there is a drain. Leaves, debris, etc will find their way down there and clog that drain up.

Not really sure what you mean by your temperature gauge moves out of place and you PUSH it back into place?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
temp guage still moves and flickers, just half the time its dangling upside down or in some other position. ive taken apart the guage cluster and moved it back to the desired position but it eventually moves back out of place

·
Registered
135 Posts
temp guage still moves and flickers, just half the time its dangling upside down or in some other position. ive taken apart the guage cluster and moved it back to the desired position but it eventually moves back out of place
Temp Gauge - your stepper motor (the motor in the cluster that physically moves the needle) is going bad. Same thing happened to me, along with my fuel gauge. The 05's are notorious for it. They actually redesigned the motors to stop this from happening.

Ordered the motors off ebay (they are 8 bucks I think) and replaced them myself, versus several hundred for a new cluster. Worked like a charm. The guy on ebay has the "new" motors.

I'd recommend going that route as it's cheaper. However, if you are a novice with a soldering iron, I would see if you know someone that is good with one, as removing the old motor and soldering the new one in place can be a bit trying if you've never done something like that before.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the cabin air filter, and cleaned it. But it's on the passenger side, as my leak is on the driver side. It seems to be flowing down my clutch pedal..

·
Registered
135 Posts
I checked the cabin air filter, and cleaned it. But it's on the passenger side, as my leak is on the driver side. It seems to be flowing down my clutch pedal..
IIRC there is a grommet type thing on the driver's side as well.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just up under the dash or under the wiper cowl?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wiper cowl.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
IIRC there is a grommet type thing on the driver's side as well.
True.

Clean this one ( passenger side). There is one identical to this one on the driver's side as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks DiMora - funny thing is I thought I remembered it from a thread you created. :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there any better way to get in there to clean it other than removing the screws? Tight space haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts