Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go! I obtained a 5.0 fox with a little mods recently. The fox has been dorment for awhile. It was leaking antifreeze around the timing chain cover. My dad an I put all new gaskets on the timing chain cover, new water pump an gasket, and a new thermostat an gasket. I've been driving the car for 2 weeks after the fix. Yesterday I bareley made it home before over heating, and wrecking due to severe antifreeze loss!! I took the belt off and checked all the pullies, and they all turn fine. Now my car still has the old clutch fan on it, and I know the clutch is locked up. I have been driving easy because at about 3.5 to 4000 rpms, I can here the the belt slip. Now when I begin to fill the radiator, antifreeze begins to drain out of the bottom of the water pump(imediately)!! I know the pump is designed to do this when the pump is bad and when the car is running!! Do you think the fan caused this, an ever heard of it leaking this bad?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ok here we go! I obtained a 5.0 fox with a little mods recently. The fox has been dorment for awhile. It was leaking antifreeze around the timing chain cover. My dad an I put all new gaskets on the timing chain cover, new water pump an gasket, and a new thermostat an gasket. I've been driving the car for 2 weeks after the fix. Yesterday I bareley made it home before over heating, and wrecking due to severe antifreeze loss!! I took the belt off and checked all the pullies, and they all turn fine. Now my car still has the old clutch fan on it, and I know the clutch is locked up. I have been driving easy because at about 3.5 to 4000 rpms, I can here the the belt slip. Now when I begin to fill the radiator, antifreeze begins to drain out of the bottom of the water pump(imediately)!! I know the pump is designed to do this when the pump is bad and when the car is running!! Do you think the fan caused this, an ever heard of it leaking this bad?

Well if coolant is coming out of the bottom of the water pump then the gasket blew, possibely from to much pressure. Maybe someone else has had the fan cause this but im not sure on that one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
mine is leaking out the pump as well. my fan is working. go electric or get a new clutch first. and check for clogs in the system and check the pump and gasket.

·
Registered
146 Posts
when you put on the water pump did you use silicon around the pump also did you get the right pump the older 302 s use a standard rotation the fox uses a reverse also if you used a diff. timing chain cover that could be a problem 2 also is the tensioner and belt in good shape i had afan clutch go and the belt never slipped and i ran the motor to like 6 grand

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally

Yea I got a different pump today and it works great! No leaks and it feels even more powerful. The morons at napa screwed me! I can change a water pump in about 30 min. now though!! Nascar potential!! I still here the belt very slitely at about 6 grand though. I'm going to bypass the smog pump, so I'm getting a new belt anyway. also looking to go electric fan soon!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The only time water leaks from that hole in the pump is when the internal seal is bad, not from a bad gasket. This is usually a sign of a bad pump bearing. If you just replaced that pump and the new one is leaking too, you either got unlucky with a bad replacement pump or the fan and/or fan clutch is off balance and causing the pump bearings to go bad from excessive vibrations.

I had the same problem with a replacement water pump and it really was just a bad replacement, not the fan or clutch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats the kicker!!

the first replace pump blew the internal pump gasket! thinking the gasket was bad, I just replaced the gasket in the pump and put it back together an then put the pump back on. As I was pouring coolant into the radiator, I noticed a leak that was coming from the same spot that the last leak was from. There are 2 bolts that hold the pump together and it was leaking by one of these bolts. So that is why I obtained another pump and It seemed to do the job

1 - 7 of 7 Posts