Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helped out a friend yesterday install a fuel pump in his 02 GT. Well now he is saying that everytime that he turs to the left fuel pours out where the fill tube goes into the tank. Any reason why this is happening and how to fix it??

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Yall ripped the fill tube gasket. Drop the tank and replace it.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
It happens. I have ripped a few of them. If you lubricate them real well with some spray silicone when pulling it apart and reinstalling they are less prone to ripping.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
I agree with cmy4d. Theyre usually brittle and dried out as it is so its quite common to tear one.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
That happened to me as well. I discovered it when I filled my tank after leaving the installer and gas poured out on the ground. They replaced the gasket and the leak stopped.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't want to thread jack but every time i finish driving my car and shut it off theres a strong smell of fuel. Car is off and it'll be in my garage i come in 2 hours later and it still smells like fuel. It's only after i've driven it, if i don't drive it for the day it won't give any smell. Theres no fuel leak anywhere, well i've never seen any wet spots under the car cause i've checked multiple times, anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
the reason that this occurs is that when our cars were produced it was not common for oil refineries to use higher percentages of ethanol in their gasoline. Nowadays the higher consentrations of ethanol in the gasoline that we r putting into our cars is responsible for drying out the gas tank fill neck gaskets. Newer cars have gaskets that can handle the ethanol, we werent so lucky...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts