Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
So I replaced my gas tank this weekend. Got it, the sending unit(with rubber ring) and lock ring all for a 65 stang. I put it all in and turned the lock ring till it would not go anymore. Tapped it gently with a flathead and hammer. Everything seemed fine till this morning. I go out and it's dripping. I start to try and tap it back in place and boom a flood of a full tank of gas came down on me.

Currently I feel like an idiot! After you tap the lock ring in place till it won't go anymore is there a way to secure that in? Do you bend the tank's tangs down also?

Any help here would be great!

Thanks

An Idiot Abroad In Stang Land

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like your gasket (round O ring between the tank and sending unit) may not have been properly installed or the locking ring not turned until fully locked. Easier to install before you put it in the car with the tank upside down. You do not bend any of the tabs, just keep tapping until the tabs on the lock ring come in contact with the tabs on the tank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See that's exactly what I thought, and honestly I did. I guess it's just not seating right for some odd reason. I will try it again when I get home

·
Registered
26 Posts
How did you come out with you gas tank leak?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts