Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not sure whats happened but I have noticed that my car is lower on the Drivers side by .5 inch which is now causing rubbing with tires.

I have BMR springs SP009 Front and SP012 Rear which I just re-installed after running the stock springs over the summer. That is when I noticed the issue. I don't recall this being a problem before.

Is this a bad spring or shock issue?

Thanks.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
shocks dont adjust ride hieight...stock ones anyway...they only dampen. probably a spring issue

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Go on a diet... :D j/k man! Check out the iso's and the springs. Make sure that nothing is broken. Also check your tire pressure for starters.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I do need a diet... :D

I will have to take the spring out to check the upper rubber but it looked intact when I re-installed the BMR springs. Again, I didn't notice with the stock springs but then again...the stock springs leave so much gap I probably didn't see it.

I just think its odd... .5 inch exactly

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Heavy GT's (glenn) has the same issue, I've got to get under the car and look. His is with Prokit Springs and QA1 adjustable shocks.

I threw it in the air for a quick look from below and couldn't see an isolator issue. I'll post back when I get him back here for a spring removal..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wondered if Glenn had the same issue...we are running the same tire but different springs. I had contacted him about a tire rub and he told me he wasn't rubbing any but mine is rubbing on the drivers side a little at about the 10 o'clock position. Could be the difference betweend the springs as I don't think the BMR's are progressive in the rear like the Eibachs.

I that .5 inch is really noticable with these 305's DR's

Let me know if you find anything...

·
Registered
194 Posts
If your springs are not seated correctly on the bottom it can cause this. Make sure the lower "tails" of your springs are up against the stop piece on the bottom mount.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Well aware, there is not a seating problem in Glenns car, it will either be a badly worn isolator, or a sagging spring. Car sat level for a 18 months, just recently started to sag. I think GT pony is experiencing similar.

·
Registered
701 Posts
yeah i got this too but on the passenger side.Im on stock springs tho.will be switching out for prokits in oct.This is the 1.5 drop right? Its either these or frrp K-springs

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well..... I was on my way home last Friday evening and stopped to fill up the fuel tank and noticed that gap between tire and wheel well had gotten smaller...thought OK..I will look at it when I get home. Needless to say, ther rest of the drive home was long....as I heard my tire start rubbing on every bump...so I was cringing on every rub... By the time I got home it had rubbed so much that the paint had cracked around the wheel well and there is a nice bare strip (no paint) for about 4 inchs...and a little groove in tire looks horrible.... :wtf

I am guessing with the extra weight of a full tank it sent it over the edge adn dropped the car down really close to my tires. So now I am going to be removing the rear suspension to see what the hell is causing this...then the car is off to body shop to get repaired.

If the isolater is not damaged, I can only assume a damaged (weak) spring on this side. I just cant believe a year old spring is damaged already... Is there a way to test it?

I will post pictures tonight of the non-existent gap and the damage.....

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Odd, Glenn was over last week I threw in a new saleen sway, and some GT500 adjustable end links for him. We took a peek at the rear suspension, and what did I find? Nothin, the car was sitting perfectly level, measurements from both sides went back to normal, dead even. So I didn't throw the car in the air.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know.... I put in the Roush Rear Sway relocation kit earlier this year.
Could it be causing this issue?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may have confused - I didn't touch anything in the rear.

We did the Front sway and end links.

Doubt your earlier items caused this.
Well I do find that if I jack up the car, it will look normal for a while (hours or so), then back to sagging on the drivers side when I drive it once. I am starting to believe the spring is bad. I will be changing out to the CJ rear springs in the coming weeks. I will see then if the drivers side is still lower. I really need the extra clearance when at the strip anyways.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, an update. Turns out it was the spring. I replaced all my springs today with the Cobra Jet springs and problem is gone.

I measured the springs once they were out and the driver side spring is 1/4 shorter uncompressed than the passenger side. Not sure if that makes a whole lot of difference but the new springs were the same length uncompressed.

I am sure if I sent the springs to BMR they could check them, but Insurance is replacing the rear springs and fixing my body damage because we think this spring was damaged in my accident a few months back, but nobody caught it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts