Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, and mostly my girlfriend, would like to install some green LEDs along the bottom of my dash. We decided on green because it'll match the smoked 3000K fogs I have. How could I wire this to the cigarette lighter location and what would I need?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
Do you want it on all the time or turn them on only at night?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/visual/150232-how-install-accent-lighting-w-switch.html

That's my old write up I did. Used the wiring from the accessory port on the center console. Remove the accessory port and replaced it with a switch. Didn't install any in-line fuses but that would be a good idea. If you want to keep your cigarette lighter or accessory port, just strip a small section of the wire and splice in the wiring for your lights. If you don't install a switch, I believe both the cigarette lighter and accessory port provide power even when the car is shut off so the lights will drain your battery. Install a switch. Don't get tricky and wire it to your head lights, because then you can't shut the lights off at night if you want/need to without driving blind.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/visual/150232-how-install-accent-lighting-w-switch.html

That's my old write up I did. Used the wiring from the accessory port on the center console. Remove the accessory port and replaced it with a switch. Didn't install any in-line fuses but that would be a good idea. If you want to keep your cigarette lighter or accessory port, just strip a small section of the wire and splice in the wiring for your lights. If you don't install a switch, I believe both the cigarette lighter and accessory port provide power even when the car is shut off so the lights will drain your battery. Install a switch. Don't get tricky and wire it to your head lights, because then you can't shut the lights off at night if you want/need to without driving blind.
so if I were to install a rocker switch beside the cigarette lighter I'd just splice into the cigarette lighter's wires to get power to the rocker switch?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
so if I were to install a rocker switch beside the cigarette lighter I'd just splice into the cigarette lighter's wires to get power to the rocker switch?
Yep. I would also use the cigarette lighter's ground instead of trying to find some metal to ground it to. I would also recommend getting a male and female connector so that when you have to remove the shift bezel later on, you'll just have to unplug the wires instead of having to remove them from the switch.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. I would also use the cigarette lighter's ground instead of trying to find some metal to ground it to. I would also recommend getting a male and female connector so that when you have to remove the shift bezel later on, you'll just have to unplug the wires instead of having to remove them from the switch.
Like the ones that you crimp the wire on and slide of the flat metal like you'd use with speaker wire on the inside of a subwoofer box?

Also, how would you suggest connection the power wire and grounds from the car and lights to the switch? I was thinking one of those connectors that you can put 3 or 4 wires on and crimp it with one wire coming out into the connector on the switch. I decided to just put it where the cigarette lighter is.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
Like the ones that you crimp the wire on and slide of the flat metal like you'd use with speaker wire on the inside of a subwoofer box?

Also, how would you suggest connection the power wire and grounds from the car and lights to the switch? I was thinking one of those connectors that you can put 3 or 4 wires on and crimp it with one wire coming out into the connector on the switch. I decided to just put it where the cigarette lighter is.
Get some wire from AZ Red/Black and wire the lights in series same as for the grounds to the switch. Yes you will also need the those connectors to connect it to the switch.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Why don't you wire them to the dome light?
He probably wants them on when he's driving. Those footwell leds make it hard enough to see at night, I wouldn't want to have the dome light on as well. Can't see **** from the side/rear windows with the dome light on.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
Who drives with the dome light on lol... I wired mine to a switch, before the dome light.... And driving with the just the led lights on is horrible. But when you unlock the car and to get in they look nice. But not when driving. idk imo it looks retarded while driving.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got it done. I used a little $8 led rocker switch with a green led in it.

I put it beside the cigar lighter to the left of the shifter. I got 2 12" led strips off eBay for $8/pair. It came prewired so with red/black wire. Only complaint is the adhesive sucked so I put 3M double sided tape on the strips to stick it to my dash.

The iPhone pictures don't show the shade of green very well though.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's where I put the switch. It says use 15/16" hole saw, but 7/8" is too small and a 1" fit nearly perfectly.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks good Mikey. I switched between red, blue, and green in my old 6. Ended up liking blue best. Although I only turned them on a handful of times :dunno

:swordfight:
Thanks man. I spent 3 hours working. My girlfriend "helped" by laying down in my back seat and taking a nap.

If I change my lights, I'll probably go blue and change all of my instrument lights to blue LEDs. I found a post on another mustang forum earlier when I was at school.

Next project, custom sub box. I plan on painting the face plate (roughly 20"x40") yellow with black carpeting everywhere else.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
These pics are sick! Almost too bright lol. I want to do all blue
Sent from my Nexus 4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts