Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!

I'm looking at putting new cams into the pony but was wondering if they would have me failing emissions in california? Hopefully it doesn't matter!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yes you would fail here in cali. And get pulled over alot depending on where you live, here in orange county their asses. You wont even pass your smog with highflow cats and their trying to pass a law stating that part of inspection will be a decible test. If your car is to loud you fail your smog. Its getting strict here so be carful.

On a side note for all you socal residence, avoid exhaust tickets!!! Your local police will no longer be able to sign them off, only CHP has authoriith to write off a exhaust ticket. I learners that the hard way and finding a inspection station was a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if i could do them myself it would be worth it, but then there's the police to worry about.. argh

thanks though!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
FRPP Hot Rod cams are supposedly Smog legal. I emailed FRPP a while back and they said that they would pass but wont know till 2014 or something like that

·
Registered
789 Posts
Unless it has a carb CO# it wont pass smog. Technically any aftermarket exhaust isn't legal but they let it go usually. My mom failed because her intake didn't have one. I don't see how cams would unless the mechanic didn't know they we're there lol

·
Registered
503 Posts
well at least you guys can get a medical marijuana card........so, you got that going for you. :)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Unless it has a carb CO# it wont pass smog. Technically any aftermarket exhaust isn't legal but they let it go usually. My mom failed because her intake didn't have one. I don't see how cams would unless the mechanic didn't know they we're there lol
Or you can find a better shop. It is legal to modify your exaust as long as it is not over a certain decibal level at a certain amount of feet away.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
New mexico no smog test love it

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If your tune is GTG then you should have no problem passing with cams, unless it's an aggressive cam like mutha thumpers. A friend of mine owns a repair/smog shop and he said cammed cars passed smog with no issue.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Or you can find a better shop. It is legal to modify your exaust as long as it is not over a certain decibal level at a certain amount of feet away.
Its legal as long as your stock cats are in the same place and muffler system that doesn't exceed 90db at a 15ft distance with the throttle at 2500 rpms. I've had numerous exhaust tickets and am very familer with what's legal here in cali. No smog shop will ever fail you for modified exhaust, just pointing out that TECHNICALLY its not legal, and that Cali is too strict, anything for money these days.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Some places will fail you for hi-flows and if you have pay a little extra, some places will pass you even with l/t and o/r midpipes. A friend of mine passed with L/T and and o/r prochamber. He did have to pay an extra $150

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Some places will fail you for hi-flows and if you have pay a little extra, some places will pass you even with l/t and o/r midpipes. A friend of mine passed with L/T and and o/r prochamber. He did have to pay an extra $150
An extra 150 is cheap. The closest guy to me wants 300.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Every time I see a thread like this I'm so glad I live in Michigan. No emissions test.
+1 for living in Illinois. :) We might have corrupt politicians and a debt that rivals that of Cali we don't have a emission test. lol

·
Registered
789 Posts
An extra 150 is cheap. The closet guy to me wants 300.
A couple people I get together with know a guy that'll do it for 200 supposedly. Lemme know when you need a smog and I'll ask them.

On a side note you know what I don't get? Its illegal to put a big turbo on a car that came with a turbo, we all understand what I mean? But with a bigger turbo it takes longer for it to spool and usually wont even make more boost until higher rpms, meaning that a big turbo car could get better mpg, and produce less emissions then a stock turbo. So whys it illegal? Stupid tree huggers. I tried explaining this to green peace when they were camped in front of my store, the guy opened his eyes as wide as he could and told me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts