Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**** gtg on phone, but lets brainstorm on a eco boost retrofit. Since our engines are very similar to the Duratec 35 and Ecoboost model how hard could it be?

EDIT: Did some research.

The engine that we have is a Ti-VCT V6 (twin independent variable camshaft timing version of the Duratec 37 featured in a ton of Ford vehicles.

The difference between the basic Duratec 37 and the Duratec 35 is a 3mm increase in the bore.

The major difference between a EcoBoost Duratec 35 and a regular Duratec 35 is direct injection, higher pressure fuel pump, and twin turbos.

So in theory it could be done. We could realistically make a Duratec 37 Ti-VCT with EcoBoost minus direct injection. Source bigger injectors, fuel pump, and ecoboost turbo's (2 Garrett GT15 turbochargers ).

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
EcoBoost V6
Main article: Ford EcoBoost engine
It is a twin turbocharged, gasoline direct injected (GTDI) version of the Duratec 35.[8]

[edit]Duratec 37
The Duratec 37 3.7 L (3721 cc; 227 CID) V6 is another member of the Ford Cyclone engine family. The Duratec 37's additional displacement over the Duratec 35 is achieved through a 3 mm increase in bore diameter which results in a 95.5 mm (3.76 in) bore.

The engine began production in the 2008 Mazda CX-9 under Mazda's MZI moniker and produces 273 hp (204 kW) at 6,250 rpm and 270 lb·ft (366 N·m) at 4,250 rpm.[9] The American assembled version seen in the 2009 Lincoln MKS produces 275 hp (205 kW) at 6,250 rpm and 276 lb·ft (374 N·m) at 4,250 rpm. A few days before the 2009 Los Angeles International Auto Show, Ford unveiled a new version of the Duratec 37 for the 2011 Mustang, making it the first Duratec-badged V6 since the Lincoln LS to be used in a production rear-wheel drive car. The new version of the engine features Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT) and, thanks in part to the addition of this technology, makes 305 hp (227 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m) at 4,250 rpm while delivering 31 mpg-US (7.6 L/100 km; 37 mpg-imp) highway mileage in the Mustang.[10][11] This RWD Ti-VCT version has also since been added to the engine lineup of the F-150 pickup for 2011.

Ecoboost:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
All this car mumbo jumbo! PUT IT LAMEN TERMS!!! hahaha

·
I'm cool..
2,277 Posts
Not worth it. I am getting a single turbo custom made for my car installed for under $3800. There are deals out there to be had, YOU just have to find them. They wont walk up to you... I looked into it when I first got my car but gave up for it wasn't worth it to me..

·
Turbo'd Hot Hatch
807 Posts
Not worth it. I am getting a single turbo custom made for my car installed for under $3800. There are deals out there to be had, YOU just have to find them. They wont walk up to you... I looked into it when I first got my car but gave up for it wasn't worth it to me..
Damn, $3800 for a custom job?! That's a steal.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Err you guys are missing the point. I will build this set-up. I am talking about the interchangability of the Duratec parts and the Ecoboost Garrett turbos and manifolds. I was curious to see if they would bolt up with minimal fabrication.

So basically I could theoritically walk into a Ford parts department at Local Joe Ford and buy the replacement turbo's manifolds, intercooler, etc and then bolt them up in the parking lot.

^ Obviously a little crazy, but that is the point. I want to see about the easiest build possible. It is like older VW's switching to the newer model turbo's.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
/\ I'll wait to see how yours turn out. lol

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How are you going to address our compression ratio with a turbo?

·
I'm cool..
2,277 Posts
Im going to start at 8 psi. When I want more, like 10-12, I will run E85 or Meth. I will run 2 tunes. 8 psi is fine on our compression ratio.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im going to start at 8 psi. When I want more, like 10-12, I will run E85 or Meth. I will run 2 tunes. 8 psi is fine on our compression ratio.
Have you thought about a taller head gasket? I have started planning my turbo build and I was thinking of getting a taller head gasket made to drop compression.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Doesn't the procharger only run at 6PSI?

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts
well thats interesting. i was curious to see if it would bolt up to the transmission or not. i wonder if the block is any weaker from being bored a tad.

·
I'm cool..
2,277 Posts
Have you thought about a taller head gasket? I have started planning my turbo build and I was thinking of getting a taller head gasket made to drop compression.
IMO not needed or worth it.

well thats interesting. i was curious to see if it would bolt up to the transmission or not. i wonder if the block is any weaker from being bored a tad.
Huh?

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMO not needed or worth it.

Huh?
NVM on my compression question. When I think of turbo I think of way more then 8psi. I agree 100% 8psi is fine. The Mini Cooper S runs 10.3 with 8psi of boost stock (something like that) and our motor is tougher.

Edit: The new 2011 Mini is a 11:1 compression and has a twin-scroll turbo with at least 8psi.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts