Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the deal......

For those of you who dont know. Im a HVAC servic tech. Through out the 6 or so years ive been doing this, ive found that aluminum coil are a lot more fragile and much harder to repair then copper. Since then, i really dont trust aluminum coils.

So, i set out going to all my local auto parts store trying to find a copper heater core. And guess what ? Not a single one carries them. Although they did have aluminum ones with a life time warranty for around $20. Well a 20 dollar heater core with a life time warranty doesnt mean jack sh*t to me if i have to take my dash apart twice.

Alright lets move on. I googled copper heater cores, and i saw that ( AM which stands for aftermarket auto parts) sells both copper and aluminum heater core. So i bought one for $62. When it gets to my house, i open the box..... what do i see ? An aluminum heater core. So i messaged AM. They were quick to get back to me ( keep in mind that there heater cores i believe are drop shiped) and they were vary nice and asked if id be happy with a partial refund. I told them that what i want is a copper heater core. They asked for pictures, i then sent them. Next thing i know, they refunded my $62 and said to keep the aluminum heater core. Like i said, thats not how i wanted to fix this issue, i wanted the copper heater core..lol

I dont really have any complaints with AM, i would buy from them again, but i wish they would have fixed the issue vs. just giving me a refund, i guess it was cheaper just to cut there loses.
So now im wondering what should i do ? Stick with my gut and find another place with a copper heater core or use this free aluminum one ?

I know LMR has the one i want but i think $120 is a bit much. I believe my local auto parts store said they could order the ford copper core for $80, but the dilemma is, i have a free core just kicking it in my garage now.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I guess it would really depend on how much you don't trust the aluminum heater cores.

If you are dead set against using the aluminum one you could always order a copper core and sell the aluminum core. I'm sure there has to be somebody out there who would want it.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
purchase another one from AM in Copper, hopefully you'll get the right one. Sell the other on craigslist or hold on to it.. no money lost.

btw, I admire you're "do it right, do it once" attitude. a lot of people cheap out on parts or repairs in lue of cost only to have to do that same job twice. A heater core is a once in a lifetime repair.. LOL

·
Lets Just Touch Tips.
2,613 Posts
I say get a 12v heater from H.F. (6 mins from you) Plug it in. Set it on dash. Stay warm.

You're Welcome!

:shiftyeyes

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't know what to tell you Ryan. When I had to replace my heater core I just bought what Autozone had. I had no idea back then that the aluminum wasn't as good. LRS sells the restrictor for the inlet hose to the heater core that is supposed to decrease the flow of the coolant enough so the core shouldn't blow again. I have no idea if it does increase the life of the core, but the heat is still hot. I've had the replacement core in for almost 4 years now.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
It sucks. When I had this foxbody I have now apart without the dash and stuff, I didnt put a heater core in it. I got the car running today, and its leaking like a sive out of the heater core....

So Now I get to tear the interior dash back out of it, so I can put a heater core in it. I would go get an OEM core personally.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Mine was copper, I mean if my local store has a copper one, I could always buy it for $20 you could reimburse me after I shipped it, lol.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
My 'new' aluminum one turned to **** when trying to remove a heater hose, and not really aggressively either. Junk! So I said f it and turned it into a race car. Seriously though, I think we had this conversation once before, but if you don't remember my vote, it's copper all day long.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it would really depend on how much you don't trust the aluminum heater cores.

If you are dead set against using the aluminum one you could always order a copper core and sell the aluminum core. I'm sure there has to be somebody out there who would want it.
Ya, i dont trust them. An aluminum radiator would be a different story because we all know it only takes about 20 min to replace one of them, incase it ever leaked,but a heater core on the other hand is a big job.

purchase another one from AM in Copper, hopefully you'll get the right one. Sell the other on craigslist or hold on to it.. no money lost.

btw, I admire you're "do it right, do it once" attitude. a lot of people cheap out on parts or repairs in lue of cost only to have to do that same job twice. A heater core is a once in a lifetime repair.. LOL
if i knew that AM shiped the heater cores them selves and could physically make sure a copper core was in the box, then sure, id try again, but i dont think thats how they operate.

I say get a 12v heater from H.F. (6 mins from you) Plug it in. Set it on dash. Stay warm.

You're Welcome!

:shiftyeyes
Lol

Don't know what to tell you Ryan. When I had to replace my heater core I just bought what Autozone had. I had no idea back then that the aluminum wasn't as good. LRS sells the restrictor for the inlet hose to the heater core that is supposed to decrease the flow of the coolant enough so the core shouldn't blow again. I have no idea if it does increase the life of the core, but the heat is still hot. I've had the replacement core in for almost 4 years now.
I plan on buying a restrictor

It sucks. When I had this foxbody I have now apart without the dash and stuff, I didnt put a heater core in it. I got the car running today, and its leaking like a sive out of the heater core....

So Now I get to tear the interior dash back out of it, so I can put a heater core in it. I would go get an OEM core personally.
Ya, im thinking copper is the better choice to.

Mine was copper, I mean if my local store has a copper one, I could always buy it for $20 you could reimburse me after I shipped it, lol.
Are you serious ?

My 'new' aluminum one turned to **** when trying to remove a heater hose, and not really aggressively either. Junk! So I said f it and turned it into a race car. Seriously though, I think we had this conversation once before, but if you don't remember my vote, it's copper all day long.
Ya, i remember, i guess the free aluminum core just got me thinking.

Okay ive made up my mind for sure this time. COPPER IT WILL BE.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ryan i got mine directly from my ford dealership well worth the extra money imo, i would never trust aluminum to copper just make sure you get a flow reducer helps slow the coolant down before entering the heater core thats why so many heater cores blow you can also use like a 13mm short socket i believe

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Ryan, I will check some local stores here and see if they have any copper ones on hand. I'll let you know ...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
For the work involved in putting a heater core in a Fox, I'd get the one you want the first time, regaurdless of the cost. I've did several & they sucked every time!!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ryan, I will check some local stores here and see if they have any copper ones on hand. I'll let you know ...
Right on brother. If it doesnt work out, its not a big deal. Ill just break down and have Oriellys order me one for 80 some odd dollars. With my luck, they wont have them available any more. Lol

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Well ford wants 140.80 for a copper core heater core.

It looks like im getting a parts store special! I probably wont own this ar much more than a few years anyway.

·